American Classic Wide Lightning vibrations on corners

Scooterza

Hi all, I have a set of 650B American Classic wide lightnings on my Giant Trance.  Really enjoy them.  

However, I notice that as I corner, there is a feeling of vibration/juddering almost as if the discs are touching the pads or something.  The back end of the bike also feels a bit sketchy - like it's "loose".  

Anyone else experience this and have any idea what to do to resolve that? 

Spokes are vibrating... check the spoke tension
I'm having the same issue with a set of ENVE wheels. We are changing the spokes from round the flat as it gives them more room away from each other

Spokes are vibrating... check the spoke tension

I'm having the same issue with a set of ENVE wheels. We are changing the spokes from round the flat as it gives them more room away from each other

This does not sit right with me.  I would be very interested in hearing how successful this is.  On expensive wheels this should not be necessary. In any event I would rather interlace the spokes than move them further apart.

Could be spokes vibrating only if they are loose....as David says - it doesn't make sense to move them apart or not interlace them.

Bottom line is - if something feels or sounds loose then generally something is loose. Check axle bearing pre-load, disc bolts all torqued, spokes all tight and within spec. Check caliper bolts, cassette is tight on free hub, check free hub is tight on hub/axle....

basically go through everything systematically and properly.

Hmmm

Also don't think its the spokes - unless they are REALLY loose.

Tyre pressures too low?

Worn/loose bearings?

Same wheels on the same frame here. No issues. But I wanna follow this thread. 

Just in case I do at some point. You say the vibration comes primarily from the front? 

My first suggestion would be to swop the wheelset without someone else.

Just to make sure it is the wheels. 

Could be spokes vibrating only if they are loose....as David says - it doesn't make sense to move them apart or not interlace them.

Bottom line is - if something feels or sounds loose then generally something is loose. Check axle bearing pre-load, disc bolts all torqued, spokes all tight and within spec. Check caliper bolts, cassette is tight on free hub, check free hub is tight on hub/axle....

basically go through everything systematically and properly.

Interlacing the spokes doesnt mean they touch each other at each crisscross. the spokes themselves have slightly different width and tension perimeters along the spoke so if they arent 100% tensioned against each other, you get minute vibrations on the spokes. Basically the spokes vibrate away from each other causing a sound as decribed by the OP. If the interlace is done correctly and the spokes tensioned correctly, this noise does not happen. .... but another alternative is to have them spaced 0.5mm apart ... long and short is either have them firmly pressed against each other or apart... if they are semi-touching the noise occurs. Keep in mind a loose spoke would craet this semi-touching scenario... best just to make sure all the spokes are equally tensioned.

I hope this wasnt to muddled

Edited by Paulst12