Downhill Trails in Cape Town

Gaz12

Hi all

Is anyone able to give me some details on downhill trails in and around Cape Town?

I'm pretty new to the area and don't know many peeps involved.

Thanks in advance.

G

For a start, check out Helderberg trails, Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek, Tokai, Paarl, and perhaps the Glen, if you live in the CBD.

For a start, check out Helderberg trails, Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek, Tokai, Paarl, and perhaps the Glen, if you live in the CBD.

Awesome Nick, thanks a lot.

Where does the Glen trail start? Definitely the closest one to me.

It is not strictly a proper DH trail but it has some steep bits and can be shuttled easily on the tar roads.

You'll find it a little bit down from the corner of Kloof Road and Camps Bay Drive on the sea side of the road. There's a little trail sign.

Welcome to CT.

Top of Kloof Neck. at the intersection/mess the entrance is about 50m after that on the sea side. The shuttle road is Kloof road (Not Kloof Neck)

Rode it the other day on my DH bike. It's better on a trial bike but still loads of fun. Super fun trail but there are some areas where you definitely DO NOT want to crash.

For City bowl DH there's also the granite. Head up Table Mountain road towards the cable car. at the first righthand hairpin you'll see a boom. You go in there and the trail tips in about 3om later on the left. Granite so you also don't want to take a lie down here. Then it sort of meanders through the houses a bit and ends off with the higgo hussle (little berms & jumps in a park) and the shuttle pickup is in Kloof Steet.

Kloof Street, Kloof Road and Kloof Neck are not the same road.

post-83454-0-23958700-1516955383_thumb.png

Edited by Duane_Bosch

BTW there's a DH national at Paarl this weekend. Head out on the N1 to Paarl. You'll see the very phallic Taal monument on the mountain to the left from the N1. Take the Paarl turnoff and head to the monument.

3 trails. Tar shuttle road. A great value option.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I think a tar shuttle road is a massive bonus. The Helderberg shuttle bakkie drive takes more out of you than the ride back down.

I think a tar shuttle road is a massive bonus. The Helderberg shuttle bakkie drive takes more out of you than the ride back down.

It also takes quite a lot of value out of your bakkie. Still the best gravity trails in CT tho. IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It also takes quite a lot of value out of your bakkie. Still the best gravity trails in CT tho. IMO.

Yep, and a car, just getting half way up... Imagine a nice serene chairlift ride up there instead

Yep, and a car, just getting half way up... Imagine a nice serene chairlift ride up there instead

I'm going to a place with chairlifts in July but I've been prohibited from talking about it

I promise I'll limit my usage. And I'll do some climbing (onto a bar stool)

so climbing onto the shuttles also counts as "climbing"?