So I had some old saddles...

popcorn_skollie

pNLwr7C.jpg

Fabric is a polycotton canvas material.

R80 per metre at Highlight in Athlone.

Only bought half metre though. 

There's a guy in my area who does upholstery.

Charged me R150 to cover all three.

I don't expect this to last for years. The old saddles weren't in good shape to begin with

But for a downhill or dirt jump bike. Pretty cool (and cheap!) solution.

I wouldn't suggest doing this to a perfectly good saddle.

The finish isn't exactly premium. While I'm pretty impressed with the top, especially considering that it was his first attempt ever covering saddles. Beneath there's quite a bit of unsightly glue around the seams. Luckily there are plastic bits beneath that screw onto the saddle to cover the seams at the nose and on the rear. But not so nice in between. I also have to clean some of that glue off the rails before I slap em on any bikes. But if you have any old, scuffed, torn saddles laying around. It may not be the end of their life just yet. 

I'm happy to pm his details to anyone interested. Its hard to beat his prices.

I had 2 chairs covered a couple months back. I think I paid like R650 per chair including fabric.

and if we're talking proper upholstery. This guys work is top notch. I reckon with a few more saddles he'll have it waxed. This was a trial run. All things considered though.

I was pretty impressed when he delivered it.

The hardest part was finding fun fabrics best suited for the intended use.

Guess I got lucky. 

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't suggest doing this to a perfectly good saddle.

The finish isn't exactly premium. While I'm pretty impressed with the top, especially considering that it was his first attempt ever covering saddles. Beneath there's quite a bit of unsightly glue around the seams. Luckily there are plastic bits beneath that screw onto the saddle to cover the seams at the nose and on the rear. But not so nice in between. I also have to clean some of that glue off the rails before I slap em on any bikes. But if you have any old, scuffed, torn saddles laying around. It may not be the end of their life just yet. 

I'm happy to pm his details to anyone interested. Its hard to beat his prices.

I had 2 chairs covered a couple months back. I think I paid like R650 per chair including fabric.

and if we're talking proper upholstery. This guys work is top notch. I reckon with a few more saddles he'll have it waxed. This was a trial run. All things considered though.

I was pretty impressed when he delivered it.

The hardest part was finding fun fabrics best suited for the intended use.

Guess I got lucky. 

post some pictures of the underside perhaps??

post some pictures of the underside perhaps??

I haven't used any of them and all 3 are still in the parts bin. Omkrap storie to find them now. I'll dig and send some pics. But like I said in the group. Not the premium finish I know you want. Especially underneath.  Is it for the momsen? 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

I haven't used any of them and all 3 are still in the parts bin. Omkrap storie to find them now. I'll dig and send some pics. But like I said in the group. Not the premium finish I know you want. Especially underneath.  Is it for the momsen? 

Yep,

Im sitting with two saddles,  one was picked up for R80.  the other is a morgsaw.  Im not liking the white on the morgsaw, but the foamy finish is so grippy feels like sitting in peanut butter.  the Sella Italia am feels meh... so maybe if the seat is covered, the selle will feel better  :ph34r: ..