Are carbon road wheels worth it?

andreas17777

Hi everyone, so carbon wheels has always looked awesome on a road bike to me. Is it worth having? Or do they just look cool.

My issue is the braking surface. To switch between carbon and aluminium brake pads when you swap between your training and racing wheels. Or do you always just ride your carbon wheels?

I've looked at carbon wheels with an aluminium braking surface like cosmic's. There are second hand ones which I can get, do you think they are worth it? Or should I go full carbon.

Another question, is it worth importing Chinese carbon wheels if I don't want to pay 10k+

The main question is, are they a benefit to go faster or not?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some Boyd carbon wheels (small but reputable US company) - never regretted it it but it all depends on what riding you are doing.

unless you are going for a Zipp 202 (and have deep pockets) lightweight aluminum probably will beat carbon for weight - so if you are hill climbing may not be helpful.

for road - mid depth carbon are wonderful but not cheap - and yes if you plan on swapping between rims - then you have to change pads each time - I have not ridding on my mavic Kysriums since getting my carbon hoops.

they should make you go faster - but if you are dropping over 10k - maybe a gym contract or coach may be better spend depending on your fitness etc maybe loosing the weight on your frame and getting a stiffer frame would be better than just going carbon wheels?

I would personally not buy directly a cheep Chinese set - all are pretty much made in China/Taiwan - but what you want/need is the guarantee / backup that they will not implode spontaneously and you have someone to go back to if there is a problem...

Having only just thrown some carbon hoops on the bike I can say without a doubt they are better than Alu. 

Had 1350g Alu rims, now have 1450g carbon rims, climbs dont feel much difference but rolling through in a paceline I was cruising at 2-3km/h faster than would have with Alu rims. (At around 38-45km/h. (About as scientific as top gear)

Also a whole cycling clic in Cape Town now greets me which have shunned me for years.

Cool, thanks for everyone's opinion. I'm definitely convinced I need them, now it's just getting one's for the right price.

The advantages of looking 'pro' eh?

I think the cyclists here in steliles and somerset will still ignore me with carbon wheels.

Having only just thrown some carbon hoops on the bike I can say without a doubt they are better than Alu. 

Had 1350g Alu rims, now have 1450g carbon rims, climbs dont feel much difference but rolling through in a paceline I was cruising at 2-3km/h faster than would have with Alu rims. (At around 38-45km/h. (About as scientific as top gear)

Also a whole cycling clic in Cape Town now greets me which have shunned me for years.

Think they were more after your water bottle ....  :whistling:

Cool, thanks for everyone's opinion. I'm definitely convinced I need them, now it's just getting one's for the right price.

Price is not everything.  I have scrapped a number of US$ 100 rims.  I have built a good number of US$ 170 (all Chinese) rims with one comeback that was replaced without question.  If you are going to race and train on the same rims don't go radial on the spokes and put in enough spokes to carry your weight - for a good few years to come! Build them durable.