Absa Cape Epic 2018

Acerunner

if you're racing it, it's going to hurt so yes be concerned, if you just going to have a Jol & finish within an hour or 2 from cut off it should be breeze. That's just me it could be totally different for the next person. I would encourage you to ride it if possible before the event.

THnx for the feedback man but :

if you just going to have a Jol & finish within an hour or 2 from cut off it should be breeze. " Im not sure if this is going to be possible as your cutt-off is gonna be doubled the winners time, they fly up the hills and those relentless downhills. Im in Pta, would have loved to give it a go beforehand 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ridden the Time Trail route thats now open to the public?

My mate went to test it and broke his collarbone 4km in.  :(  It would have been his 5th Epic.

My mate went to test it and broke his collarbone 4km in. :( It would have been his 5th Epic.

Youre joking????? oMwwww????

My mate went to test it and broke his collarbone 4km in. :( It would have been his 5th Epic.

Did he make a mistake or is **** hectic out there?

Youre joking????? oMwwww????

Did he make a mistake or is **** hectic out there?

Acerunner didn't you do Cape Epic last year as well? I remember you started a Cape Epic thread then as well?

If so then single track Is no different to any other year. Crashes can happen anywhere anytime there is a lapse of concentration or pushing the boundaries. The single track of the TT covers a lot of the Welvenpas trails which has been part of the epic for the past couple of years now.

Acerunner didn't you do Cape Epic last year as well? I remember you started a Cape Epic thread then as well?

If so then single track Is no different to any other year. Crashes can happen anywhere anytime there is a lapse of concentration or pushing the boundaries. The single track of the TT covers a lot of the Welvenpas trails which has been part of the epic for the past couple of years now.

Yip, 4th one in 4 years. Ok gotcha ????????

eish in my opinion the cut-off should be double winners time + 10% 

because many teams go for stages instead of overall and those guys can afford to smash one day and finish at their own pace for the rest of the race .... make sense ?

Cut offs can happen anywhere right ? Like at A waterpoint for instance ?

eish in my opinion the cut-off should be double winners time + 10%

because many teams go for stages instead of overall and those guys can afford to smash one day and finish at their own pace for the rest of the race .... make sense ?

Even with winners time +10%, alot of riders are gonna be out of Their comfort zone with this stage

Cut offs can happen anywhere right ? Like at A waterpoint for instance ?

Anyone have a strava file for the Prologue ?

Dont worry about that, just watch this:

and this

Looks something like this, except will be starting from the varsity rugby fields .

post-44068-0-97701100-1520252030_thumb.jpg

and this

The general skill level here is shocking, to say the least.

If they came down that hard on that little piece of track, they were probably in for a very long Epic.

that part of the course is super sketchelsies, an paved option would be nice, like a hen run type thing

Edited by maxman

and this

Hahahaha....now I know where i'll be watching....if I don't get a last minute ride!

Some technical skills lacking there lol

So here some advice from an average joe: get your ass behind your seat and keep centre of gravity as low as possible (bend arms and legs - if you got a dropper, drop it), keep a certain level of speed to be able to get over rocks and smaller obstacles (the slower, the more prone to a full stop and otb), keep your fingers off the front brake (hover over them), brake before (if you must) and/or at bottom of tricky patch. Overall, just trust that your mtb was made to rid ethis #%it and your tyres have the grip (pressure to max 1.8).

You brake - you break is my motto  :clap: 

that part of the course is super sketchelsies, an paved option would be nice, like a hen run type thing

On the video it looks quite harmless, what is it actually like?

A couple of loose rocks and the odd big one?

You are kidding hey?

I ride down there on my Gravel bike all the time. That is about as technical as operating basic addition and subtraction on a calculator