Do you pay at bike parks?

Cois

Do you pay to ride at bike parks?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pay the fees before you ride?

• Yes
    • No
    • I pay after I ride
  2. 2. If you do pay...

• Pay per ride
    • Pay per year if they allow

I have been toying with the thought of this for a few weeks now...  How many people pay the piper?

I have been toying with the idea of helping a friend build a bike park on the farm, but in the past few days I had to wonder, is it worth it.  Do people actually pay to ride at bike parks?

I know some trails you have to pass a person and show him your year pass or day pass, but there are some parks that trust in people.  Are that trust misplaced?

I am not selling the info to any bike parks and I do not need to know your name.  It is just to find out if it is worth it or not...

Edited by Cois

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you add an option "I pay after the ride".

Especially in Summer, I tend to be at BRB before they open. After the ride pop in and go settle the score.

Riding and not paying is theft/fraud depending on the motivation, you make use of a service and ditch the bill.

I suggest you add an option "I pay after the ride".

Especially in Summer, I tend to be at BRB before they open. After the ride pop in and go settle the score.

Riding and not paying is theft/fraud depending on the motivation, you make use of a service and ditch the bill.

Done and dusted

I pay, I have seen a number of guys going in with the parkrunners and not paying, its just not right.

I have seen it this weekend.  Lady went off on my wife for not paying (we paid our year fees, wife had her wrist strap in her saddlebag) and when I asked when she paid she did not reply.

I always pay, either before or after. I generally ride at BRB or NF and have multiple ride tickets/cards for both places. Sometimes at BRB, i go in after my ride to get my ticket punched - but i know the guys there and more importantly, they know me.

Must admit that i was riding Giba 2 Decembers ago. After paying and riding up those hectic switchbacks (i swore every meter up those things), we met up with a couple of guys entering the park from a different point. We stopped to lend the guys a pump and help them with a puncture. To repay our kind gesture, the guys happily told us that they ride Giba every weekend and never pay. They even pointed out how to enter without paying. 

So my take is that you will get the odd couple of people that will find a way in without paying just like you get the odd couple of people that will steal a chocolate bar at a store. The majority though will pay. 

Its only fair to pay for the facilities you use.  And the easier it it to pay the better.

Year permits and day permits should be available.

If you can pay via snapscan its relay convenient for me. It is more secure than honesty boxes but it does rely on honesty. 

Member boards are a pain  but it does help land owners feel that they are not taken advantage of and its nice for trail marshals not having to stop people and check up on permits.  

When I was still into mtb, I used to pay the 60 odd bucks to ride at Giba. Last time I did a trail run there it was R35 for the run, and R10 for a non-rider. I don't mind paying to have some fun in nature.

I used to be a member of BCC which with a yearly membership allows you to ride as often as you want, still go there on occasion but pay per ride now.  I also ride the track in Kempton and even though there is no charge I make a contribution through Finish Line for the maintenance of the track and the security. There is a new track at Boksburg stadium which I'm still to try out that is also no fee. Its close by and as winter approaches and I use it often I will have no issue with making regular contributions for upkeep. 

I think most riders will pay or contribute but there will always be those that do not yet are the first to whinge when the track starts to fade. 

I generally ride in bike parks as I ride on my own. 

with NF, Modderfontein I have multi passes, BRB I pay per ride as I'm not there often enough to make it worth my while for the annual pass.

What I would like is to make it more convenient. With the like of Modders, NF, If I'm there in my car with my bike on the back, I drive it, get my card clipped and off I go. With BRB I have to park, either leave my bike on the car or take it and leave it outside the barn and go pay - which if you're on your own, which I often am, is inconvenient. 

i like the snapscan idea at the start of a trail, but sadly there are too many entitled dickasses that would just not pay. 

I always pay.

The yearly fees at Giba make it a no brainer if you are in that area and want to get some good hill training, and also enjoy the descents. I only pay R75 per month instead of R65 per ride, if you can afford the expensive bike, which most bikes are nowadays, I'm sure you can afford the R75 per month.

Holla/Sugar Rush is a bit more expensive per month, but you get trails of up 80kms! Totally worth it in my opinion. And all the added activities for kids at the park makes it even more enjoyable for everyone, and a nice morning out with the family.

That's my take on my local trails, not sure about the rest of the country.

The two farms that I ride most I have year passes for. Namely Helderberg Trails and Oak Valley. For all the other I buy day permits. With a veritable smorgasbord of trails around us day permits make sense if you want to rise a variety of trails.

I prefer paying with snapscan or zapper, and would like it if more trails had this facility next to their honesty box. Not only does this free up cash for post ride beverages, but it also shows a definite proof of purchase if stopped by a marshal or a farmer.