FNB Magalies Monster

Balooba

My favourite thing is how the race sets the tone so early on. The good vibes and the smell of bacon through the campsite, smiles everywhere, just an overall nice atmosphere.

Literally the second you leave the campsite there is that first kicker. Loose rocks, guys struggling to uncleat, pandemonium. Its all uphill from there. 

Best description ever!! :D  I still remember the friendly people waving us by and the next moment chaos!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where I can find Batch seeding ? Has it been released ?

If I am not mistaken, this race is self seeded. 

(If you have done this event before, you will be VERY honest)

Anyone know where I can find Batch seeding ? Has it been released ?

If I am not mistaken, this race is self seeded. 

(If you have done this event before, you will be VERY honest)

Can't remember if you get sent your batches, but they'll be with your number board when you collect in the morning.

Last year it was seeded.

Must we bring our own SAS boards to the event or do they provide their own?

They've always provided boards and cut them off at the finish line.

Anyone know if there are line entries for MM?

Just got an sms this morning - limited entries available at race pack collection. I think race pack collection happens tonight, and again in the morning before the race

This was the first time I did the full Monster.. It was the toughest MTB event I have ever done... 

no such thing as smooth and flowing at the Monster it seems. Alles is rof en rocky.

Have never felt that tired and sore before on a bike, and its been a long time since I needed to walk up an uphill just because my legs couldnt do it. And it wasnt the first Monster Climb which did it.. that was actually a lekker steady climb! it was that series of uphills between 50km and 60km which killed me...

The mental focus required on all 69 kms was also massive... there was no let up. You couldnt even let you mind, arms, legs or body relax a little on the downhills coz it just wanted to chuck you off your bike!

haha, a really good experience if you wish to be called a 'mountain biker'... mountain biking is not the Spruit... I love the Spruit, but too much of it allows you to become soft...

Well, as Byron said, no free km's. If you are going downhill, its tough, rocky loose and bumpy. Ninja rocks everywhere waiting for a lapse in concentration.

I had a fall, while pushing by bike on the portage section. The ice skates I had on, and the wet rocks clearly didn't work well together. Struggled with a pulled hamstring for the rest of the race ride, and at one stage the km's went by so slowly, I thought my garmin froze... limped home in smidgen under 5:30 which is a win in my books..

None the less, great event as always, next year, i'm gonna train.. I swear...

Saw a guy riding the 70km on a Rigid, Single speed Lynskey Titanium bike. That is pretty impressive.

Rode the 35km. Was a bit surprised at the lack of technical skills, people complaining already in the Buffelspoort resort about the rocks. They would have had a tough day out there. The climb from about 22 km was rather steep. Enjoyed the quite technical downhill towards the end.

May go for the 70 next year

I also rode my first full Monster this year. I have ridden the half marathon a few times before so I sort of knew what I was in for and prepared for the worst. I should have prepared a bit more  :blink: 
The climbs were brutal and the descents were just as bad but things were going as well as could be expected until about 58km when I entered an entirely new universe of cramping that I've never experienced before.  
I'm very aware that my technical skills are lacking but those last steep descents where you feel like you're re-entering the earth's atmosphere in a space shuttle and your fillings are getting rattled loose are even worse when the lower half of your body is teetering on a complete crampfest.  :P 
But that's what I signed up for so I had to just suck it up and limp in in around 5hr20. 

I felt a bit out of my league and my 2012 Fuji probably felt the same way but I'm really glad I did it at the end of the day. 
Seemed to be a good bunch of people involved all round too. 

Good times!  :D 

As usual, the Monster Marathon doesn't disappoint...

You never get free miles, which is what the Magalies Monster is all about. The main climb is just about a steady slog to the top. What the Monster is really all about is wearing you down bit by bit, each grassy or rocky section plays a roll, until you are completely broken, which is hopefully as you cross the finish line but it's usually at the point which catches up to you as you were telling yourself in the beginning "you're going out too fast..."

Had a pretty good ride with a 3h40, definitely felt a little beaten up on Sunday morning with aches and pains not in the usual places.

Organisation was great, route always "fun and challenging", glad they changed the end, so that the different distances only merged pretty close to the finish (last year it was a nightmare all joining with still a few km's to go).

Back next year for sure!

For those that are wanting photos, they are starting to load them on:

https://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/