FNB Magalies Monster

Balooba

"it was that series of uphills between 50km and 60km which killed me..."

This. I rode for the first time last year and blew my energy on the Monster climb. Felt like a superhero reaching the top but the rest of the race was filled with cramps and mental exhaustion.

This year I rode a steady pace at a controlled heart rate. Race went by much quicker and smoother overall (even the downhills seemed easier to contend with).

Glad you enjoyed it though. Next year you'll nail it  :thumbup: .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started my training for this ride this morning.

So I see that Wessel Botha (the winner in 3hrs 06) only started training a week before you anyways  :clap:

post-41779-0-24487300-1528107666_thumb.png

Edited by ByronH

I welcomed the changes at the start and finish from previous years and what used to be a brutal first climb that is no more .I held back and paced myself up to the top of breeds .Then the cramps got hold of me once more at 3h30 min .At one point we were a "flock"herd"crowd of cramping seemingly fit mountain bikers trying to encourage one another to finish .I should have dropped my seat post earlier because that was the most effective cramp buster so far .If you made the time to look around you could really appreciate the nature around us while waiting for the next cramp to set in .I felt broken at the finish 

The Monster is #WhyIRide. Im with Blitzer on the changes to the start. Get the legs to turn first then one lekker ride from there. That crazy climb right out the gate always killed me. R400 is hectic but I realy love the Monster.

So I see that Wessel Botha (the winner in 3hrs 06) only started training a week before you anyways  :clap:

attachicon.gifbotha.png

Scientific proof that a week's worth of training equals around two and a half hours on race day

Great day out riding! I've done the Monster a couple years ago, but definitely enjoyed this route more! 

No free miles and not like the Trailseekers where it's pretty much a road race on a district road.

The climb was great and enjoyed this descent rather than going down Breedts.

Came in just over 4hrs, legs cramping, hands sore but had a big smile on my face!

Well done guys for a well organised event

The only event I have ever had to deal with cramps! Near the end even my walking muscles were cramping  :eek:

Took a bit of a wrong turn and ended up bombing down a hiking trail. It was incredibly fun and stupid and if I came short there would have been a stretcher needed for sure. I think a couple of people made the same mistake (a few thanks to me). 

I will do the Monster every year! Such a welcome change to all the overly manicured trails we are force fed. 

2nd year doing the mini monster. Completely different route but this time with another killer climb. Two guys made it quite far up with the rest cheering them on, but when they stopped it must have taken some time to get going again. Loved the tech descend in the trees at about 29km, dropper post was really paying dividends, skills may have seemed more impressive than I thought possible (think I actually enjoyed passing everyone walking that section way too much).

Will book the weekend away again next year, but not sure if I will be ready for a full monster yet.

• 1 year later...

Hi All.

I cannot find the entry page for the Monster. There is nothing on Stillwater's page.

Any idea?

Hi All.

I cannot find the entry page for the Monster. There is nothing on Stillwater's page.

Any idea?

Stillwatersport have officially withdrawn from Magalies Monster. As a business we will not be presenting the event in 2020. The event lies with the Marikana church, and they are doing all they can to continue with this awesome event. 

Stillwatersport have officially withdrawn from Magalies Monster. As a business we will not be presenting the event in 2020. The event lies with the Marikana church, and they are doing all they can to continue with this awesome event. 

That's a shame, I've done the event a few times and always enjoyed it (except for that sand...!).

I hope they manage to keep it going and attract other sponsors. It seemed to be well attended.

My favourite thing is how the race sets the tone so early on. The good vibes and the smell of bacon through the campsite, smiles everywhere, just an overall nice atmosphere.

Literally the second you leave the campsite there is that first kicker. Loose rocks, guys struggling to uncleat, pandemonium. Its all uphill from there. 

Or downhill...............depends what you mean....... :eek:  :whistling: .....LOL.....................

Bummer, thank you for the info.

Word on the street is that there where some differences between FNB and Stillwater which caused FNB to pull out.

So it seems both the organiser and the sponsor have now withdrawn. Not quite sure how the Marikana church fits in the picture but it is hard to see the event happening this year.

Pity as its the one GT event where I always felt I really deserved the burger and beers afterwards