Hill2Hill and Dusi2C Cancelled

JScottP

I think organizes need to focus on cutting cost to the effect that entries cover the costs.

Forget prize money and fancy this and that. Just make it more like an organized ride sort of like the park run's but for bikes and this is coming from someone who is normally in the top 10 at H2H not a weekend warrior. 

Funny you say this because more and more guys are turning away from events and organising weekends where they can go ride somewhere all together. This inevitably will lead to the decline in numbers at races.

Joe Soap doesnt wanna pay a stupid amount of money to subsidize the top 3's cheques when he doesnt even get a chance to see them on the podium because he is still out in the field slogging his way back to the finish. The fun soon runs out, he will go ride other places with his group of mates for a weekend at a cost cheaper than a stage race.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have not done the Hill2Hill for the last 8 years. The course was never that great in my opinion.

I would far rather go and spend the morning riding around Giba Gorge with my friends and there lies the problem. MTB has become a social thing rather then a competition for most. With this, entries keep falling and sponsors wont spend money on an event where the entries are declining.

Maybe give this one a chance

http://www.roag.co.za/media/365746/vulintabaextreme_poster_2018.jpg

Big prize money

Taking into account everything mentioned above, two mistakes re the event above:

1.  Dn't label an event as '...the Toughest ...'

2.  And don't have it over Easter ... especially if it's in Newcastle!

Funny you say this because more and more guys are turning away from events and organising weekends where they can go ride somewhere all together. This inevitably will lead to the decline in numbers at races.

Agreed 100% indeed.  Can't remember when my mates entered a race together.

Cycling together?  Last week end.  And had a blast!

Paid for the beers with the money saved from not entering.

Edited by Sepia

Pity...Memories of when i truly hit the wall due to heat and poor food and water management. learnt a lot about myself that day

I said that thew time that moving it to Easter would be suicide. Many 2 oceans runners also cycle, and 2 oceans was always going to take preference, especially coinciding with a holiday in Cape Town.

But that said - it is also a sign of the times. People just aren't interested in parting with a handful of hundreds to cycle om dirt paths between pmb and hillcrest...MTB events on the whole are on a decline, and it has been obvious for the past few years

Just read that the Hill2Hill has been postponed for 2018 due to no title sponsor, and that Dusi2C has been cancelled.

Devastating news for KZN riders, considering Hill2Hill has approximately 1200 riders each year.

How can the biggest one day race in KZN not find a sponsor?

Far nicer rides .... plain and simple

Hill2hill was very well marketed in the beginning and that is how they drew the numbers.

Was the track great No. was  the scenery good No... were the water tables that good No....

So it was just marketing

The Hilton 50 Miler was a much nicer event with great track etc

But also didn't draw the numbers as it was just after hill2hill.

Edited by Mousea

MTB events on the whole are on a decline, and it has been obvious for the past few years

Nothing demonstrates this more to me than "Sani2C entries still open in February"

Not that long ago that it virtually impossible to get in unless you knew someone with an entry

Note to self, must check out the Imana Wild Ride again, at one stage that race was so difficult to get into they didn't even bother with online entries.

Taking into account everything mentioned above, two mistakes re the event above:

1. Dn't label an event as '...the Toughest ...'

2. And don't have it over Easter ... especially if it's in Newcastle!

It’s tougherer to organise an event in Northern Natal!!

It’s tougherer to organise an event in Northern Natal!!

The weenen classic used to be an absolute monster! Big mother thorns...sandy River beds... Hot and dry

Due to security unrest at Shongweni Dam, the decision was made to relocate the SA Sprints and the SA School Sprints to Roodeplaat Dam in Gauteng, in April this year 

If canoeing isn't safe there, was that a concern for the mtb race organisers?

Nothing demonstrates this more to me than "Sani2C entries still open in February"

Not that long ago that it virtually impossible to get in unless you knew someone with an entry

Note to self, must check out the Imana Wild Ride again, at one stage that race was so difficult to get into they didn't even bother with online entrie

Imana is super popular and with the limited entries available, I think it will still be difficult to get in.. one of the most enjoyable events I have done..

If I was still into mtb then I'd be really bummed about Hill 2 Hill, but being a weekend warrior I mainly did the 45km ride so I didn't get the full experience of the event.

Joe Soap doesnt wanna pay a stupid amount of money to subsidize the top 3's cheques when he doesnt even get a chance to see them on the podium because he is still out in the field slogging his way back to the finish. The fun soon runs out, he will go ride other places with his group of mates for a weekend at a cost cheaper than a stage race.

So true and exactly what I've been doing for the last 18 months or so.

So many cool places to go on a MTB holiday at a fraction of the stage race price with better facilities and accommodation.

This year I've booked 2 events and thats where its staying....the rest will be "get away" MTB breaks...

So true and exactly what I've been doing for the last 18 months or so.

So many cool places to go on a MTB holiday at a fraction of the stage race price with better facilities and accommodation.

This year I've booked 2 events and thats where its staying....the rest will be "get away" MTB breaks...

A couple of great MTB events that makes for a nice MTB break in a lekker part of the country with plenty decent accommodation that we do, always cool events and reasonably priced.

Sabie Classic - Feb

Forest to Falls - Graskop - May.

Magoebaskloof Classic - Nov.