Take the tourist around Cape Town

MikeFortgens

Hi,

I'm Mike from the Netherlands and I'll be visiting Cape Town next week for work. It's my first time to Cape Town and since I have a few extra days to spare I would like to see if I can rent a road bike and join a group ride (+/- 75km) on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I would call myself an intermediate cyclist.

Questions:

• Where could I rent a decent bike and helmet for 1 or 2 days
  • Who can I join / Who would like to join me?

I'll be staying in Cape Town City Center, so anything in the surroundings there would be nice.

TIA!

Hi Mike.

If you are Based in Town these are 2 good rides you can do. Some of the best views You'll ever see in those 2 routes. Lots of climbing but I think the strava profile's are way off. Cape Town is an AMAZING city. Watch for the bad drivers and there's lots of glass on the roads. I'd join for a ride but there's a race that I'm doing on the 10th. Have fun.

Mike 1.gpx

Mike 2.gpx

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Hi Mike.

If you are Based in Town these are 2 good rides you can do. Some of the best views You'll ever see in those 2 routes. Lots of climbing but I think the strava profile's are way off. Cape Town is an AMAZING city. Watch for the bad drivers and there's lots of glass on the roads. I'd join for a ride but there's a race that I'm doing on the 10th. Have fun.

attachicon.gifMike 1.gpx

attachicon.gifMike 2.gpx

Thanks for the routes, but somehow I would feel more safe to join in a group instead of going out on my own.

Another side question...

Will there be any change to watch the World Championship Cyclo cross somewhere in Cape Town this sunday? Maybe a sports bar? Hipster coffee bar aimed at cyclists?

BTW... still no volunteers for a ride?

Another side question...

Will there be any change to watch the World Championship Cyclo cross somewhere in Cape Town this sunday? Maybe a sports bar? Hipster coffee bar aimed at cyclists?

BTW... still no volunteers for a ride?

@puresavage

@Dale

Come help the oke out with a group ride..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

If there is no other riders close to you or if you can't get hooked up with a group ride, I will make a plan to hook up with you and take you around. But I am overweight and unfit at the moment, so 100km + rides around the peninsula will be at an average of about 26kph, I suck on the climbs. If you want you can keep me as an "if all else fails".

If there is no other riders close to you or if you can't get hooked up with a group ride, I will make a plan to hook up with you and take you around. But I am overweight and unfit at the moment, so 100km + rides around the peninsula will be at an average of about 26kph, I suck on the climbs. If you want you can keep me as an "if all else fails".

That's very kind of you! ...to be honest, you sound as the perfect partner in crime :) Will let you know.

Come ride the 99er. Lots of people of all abilities there!

https://www.99er.co.za/

That looks like fun! ...although it's a 30 km bike ride to get there from my hotel. Are there any scenic parts in the route? Besides a nice bike ride I'll like to see some of the coast as well.. (to be honest I promised my daughters I would photograph the penguins on the beach  :blush: )

Hoi Mike,

Go cycle on Saturday morning from Seapoint to Chapmans Peaks and back then you will find a lot of cyclists on the road. Just introduce yourself and ask if you can join! 

Cyclists in Cape Town a somewhat friendly. 

post-43518-0-36704900-1517579205_thumb.png