Ritchey Venturemax gravel handlebar

Chris NewbyFraser

After getting a resounding silence to my inquiry to the local importers of Ritchey stuff, I bought this handlebar direct from JensonUSA. Took 3 days for the goods to arrive in SA and another 10 days for it to be delivered by UPS.

The bar is designed to provide maximum control on a gravel bike in rough conditions. It has pronounced ergonomic bends on the upper bar while the drops flare out at 27degrees. My 44cm top bar has a 52cm centre to centre at the bottom.. The drop is a shallow 102mm and the lower bar also has a type of ergo bend which fits into the palm 'cup'.

I did a first ride of 75km on largely gravel road. The bar is comfortable on the tops, with the brakes being easily positioned for both top and bottom finger reach. The 7050 aluminium has good give and helps soften vibration, especially when on the drops.

It is the lower drops where the bars excel and disappoint. At speed, the control on rough surfaces is extraordinary. There is none of the instability felt on normal 42cm bars and I happily hooked over 60kph on steep gravel downhills - head down in the drops!

Its when I rode the drop bars for a long time into a headwind. The wide 52cm results in the arms being spread outwards and far wider than on normal drops. It felt uncomfortable - possibly because no previous riding has ever conditioned my arms and shoulders to this position.

The bars look unusual but that's OK, a gravel bike is not a road or mtb bike and can create its own character.

If I were to buy more gravel bars I would opt for the Salsa brand which offers gravel bars with less lower flare - purely from a comfort point of view.

br_rd_wcs_venturemax_blatte_my2017_angle

I was looking at one these but the price put me off as it had to be special import by the LBS.

I ended up with the Soma at R800 to the door which suited me better.

Must say I prefer the Soma to the Midge and will swop these over on the road bike. More drop length for my hands otherwise the same.

I am sure you will get used to these bars as they are the bomb.

i got the Ritchey VentureMax alloy from a nice dude in Jo'burg for R690...
Still accumulating all the parts for my gravel build, so they're still sitting in the plastic.

I’m very happy with my Ritchey WCS Venturemax bars. Did Karoobaix and had no issue with these bars, perfect for my daily commute to the office and back home, for me they are super comfortable.

Sir...please reposition that Garmin!!

• 2 weeks later...

Also looking at a pair of these to convert my Lynskey Ridgeline to a gravel grinder / commuter...

Any idea where I can get locally (yeah, let's hope)? 

Any suggestions for a cost-effective brake/gear lever setup. I have a Sram 1x11 on currently so it would be great if I only have to worry about the bars and levers at this stage. (XT Brakes - but full SRAM is probably an option?)

PS. @Nathrix, I'm going to have nightmares about that Garmin setup for weeks to come!

Also looking at a pair of these to convert my Lynskey Ridgeline to a gravel grinder / commuter...

Any idea where I can get locally (yeah, let's hope)? 

Any suggestions for a cost-effective brake/gear lever setup. I have a Sram 1x11 on currently so it would be great if I only have to worry about the bars and levers at this stage. (XT Brakes - but full SRAM is probably an option?)

PS. @Nathrix, I'm going to have nightmares about that Garmin setup for weeks to come!

Had it like that for karoobaix so that i could mount the light and gopro, mounting it the correct way was in the way of the gopro footage, now it’s sorted.

Edit:

Ordered the Ritchey bars, stem, seat post, bottle cages and saddle through Cycletech Kyalami 0114669974

post-4329-0-50652700-1519025541_thumb.jpeg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™