Taxis

nathrix

I can deal with taxis because their unpredictability is predictable. And I've often found that they're prepared to give me a gap. 

But what is starting to be a problem is Uber drivers. Some of them will wait for a client in a way that almost blocks the road. Couldn't be bothered to pull over to the side neatly. That really gets my blood boiling.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottlneck on school run outside Palmyra junction woolworths ... ordinary vehicles mounting pavement to create an extra lane ... make it past there and face three taxis coming into oncoming traffic on wrong side of road, an Audi Q7 and a mini cooper following their lead ....

At 5.30am the taxis barrelling from Hout Bay through to Constantia give me a stay wider of the wider rider gap as I try to break my Constantia nek PR without actually breaking my real neck. 

Our road safety crisis is way more than the taxis. It's become part of the road culture - not for all of us but my guess is 10 or 15% of drivers fall into this category.

I think you are too kind to our community of drivers in CT. It's closer to 50% and rising. I get flashed at in the left hand lane these days for driving at the speed limit because the right hand lane is full of Uber, tourists and local C**nts doing 20km/he below the speed limit and not giving way.

Nearly got taken out by three soccer moms in Tokai road on Saturday and then a Taxi runs a red light. Fortunately I was unclipped  and well behind the line!.

In the morning outside my daughters school parents park in the road to drop their kids off. Thus creating a huge blockage in Aliwal and at the same time teaching their kids that its ok to inconvenience others just so you can have your way.

the moral decay is irreversible without law enforcement doing its job

On my commutte last week, a guy in a company bakkie tried to cut traffic in the cycle lane while I was next to him. I moered his mirror into his door and that woke him up. A few meters further down the road a fully kitted roadie who looked like he was out for a training session was holding up traffic because he was cycling I the middle other road. Now he waved at me, but I didn't bother to wave back because I thought he was being selfish and contributing to motorists dislike of cyclists.

Taxis always give space and even shelter one over intersections.

I echo this sentiment. It is a complex situation and the animal that is the taxi industry has grown to an unmanageable proportion.

I stick to the rules of the road and make sure I abide by the law. For my own sanity I do not shout or scream at taxi's or other drivers anymore. It is a no win. There is such a degree of entitlement on the road that losing your cool or not letting a taxi in is like arguing with a drunk person. No win.

I am the car that lets the taxi in, in the front. If I do not do that, he will force in and maybe endanger your life in the car behind me. You never know.

What I do find interesting is the abuse I get when I drive on the M1/N1 at 120 km/h in the right hand lane. Apparently 120 is too slow? Also amazed at drivers and their cell phone usage while driving. Crazy.

Geez. That's because you shouldn't be there. The rule of the road is.....keep left.

Yes, drive in the left hand lane because that is the driving lane. The right hand lane is called the overtaking lane because......yes, it's for overtaking. Not for driving. Irrespective of whether you're driving at 120km/h or not.

Try it sometime. You'll find fewer people abuse you.

ChUkKy that you?

Legend! Wish more people would stand up against the taxi mafia.

Interesting that only the lady at end assist, the rest just hoots and shout and swears and carry on. But tonight over a brandy they will tell their friends how bad the roads are.

Kudu's to the bike rider.....we need more like you and more to assist people like you.

On my commutte last week, a guy in a company bakkie tried to cut traffic in the cycle lane while I was next to him. I moered his mirror into his door and that woke him up. A few meters further down the road a fully kitted roadie who looked like he was out for a training session was holding up traffic because he was cycling I the middle other road. Now he waved at me, but I didn't bother to wave back because I thought he was being selfish and contributing to motorists dislike of cyclists.

My experience cycling in Jhb's highway ring and Jhb South is that taxi's are scum, whether I'm in the car, on the motorbike, on the bicycle, on the sidewalk on a bench, they will predictably break the law and if you are in their way on your bicycle at any given moment, it may be your last. I can count on 1 hand the times a taxi was courteous, but I can't count on all 10 fingers times the years I've lived, the amount of times a taxi threatened my life with irresponsible, reckless and unlawful actions.

Edited by Dirkitech

Geez. That's because you shouldn't be there. The rule of the road is.....keep left.

Yes, drive in the left hand lane because that is the driving lane. The right hand lane is called the overtaking lane because......yes, it's for overtaking. Not for driving. Irrespective of whether you're driving at 120km/h or not.

Try it sometime. You'll find fewer people abuse you.

Shouldn't be where? In the right hand lane doing the legal speed limit, bearing in mind that by overtaking you would be going over 120km/h which is illegal. This is literally the exact problem with so many drivers these days. A sense on entitlement even when blatantly breaking the law. It truly leaves one feeling sad at the state of affairs on our roads. Someone driving more than 120km/h in the right hand lane is no more entitled to be in that lane than another driver adhering to the rules of the road. Faster driving (and breaking the law, which clearly means so little to so many these days) does not equate to you having more of a right to be in a lane when the people in front of you are doing the speed limit i.e. 120km/h in the right hand lane.

Shouldn't be where? In the right hand lane doing the legal speed limit, bearing in mind that by overtaking you would be going over 120km/h which is illegal. This is literally the exact problem with so many drivers these days. A sense on entitlement even when blatantly breaking the law. It truly leaves one feeling sad at the state of affairs on our roads. Someone driving more than 120km/h in the right hand lane is no more entitled to be in that lane than another driver adhering to the rules of the road. Faster driving (and breaking the law, which clearly means so little to so many these days) does not equate to you having more of a right to be in a lane when the people in front of you are doing the speed limit i.e. 120km/h in the right hand lane.

Which is exactly what you're doing, by holding up other traffic. Even if they are doing more than the speed limit, you MUST move over when it is safe to do so. Staying in the RH lane when there is faster traffic can be described as reckless and dangerous driving. 

Speeding is not legal, that's right, and people shouldn't do it. But the RH lane is for overtaking. Not hogging and feeling entitled to it because you're doing the limit and they're not. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Except when they are killing burry

Which is exactly what you're doing, by holding up other traffic. Even if they are doing more than the speed limit, you MUST move over when it is safe to do so. Staying in the RH lane when there is faster traffic can be described as reckless and dangerous driving. 

Speeding is not legal, that's right, and people shouldn't do it. But the RH lane is for overtaking. Not hogging and feeling entitled to it because you're doing the limit and they're not. 

Bingo !!

Agree, right lane is for overtaking. But there are scenarios where your options are 80km/hr in the left lane or driving the speed limit in the right lane - 120km/hr, essentially overtaking all the cars in the left lane going much slower. In that scenario if someone want to drive 150km/hr and up my ass while I am in the right lane, they can quite frankly shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm not gonna drive 80 in the left lane, and I am not gonna speed - simple as that. Edited by Grease_Monkey

Agree, right lane is for overtaking. But there are scenarios where your options are 80km/hr in the left lane or driving the speed limit in the right lane - 120km/hr, essentially overtaking all the cars in the left lane going much slower. In that scenario if someone want to drive 150km/hr and up my ass, they can quite frankly shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm not gonna drive 80 in the left lane, and I am not gonna speed - simple as that.

yeah, it's a case of get left when it's safe. If "safe" means once you've passed all those 80kph okes, or have a small gap you can quickly zip into and back out of with a string of cars, then that's fine. But can't hog the rh lane forever. 

You can see how this would happen with some of those road-trains that the long distance haulage guys get when driving between the provinces. Looooong sections where there's just no way to get into the left hand lane, and in that case the guy behind just needs to wait until it's safe for you to get into the left. 

Good point, let me perhaps add a bit more context...

I am not advocating that that people hold up drivers behind them in the right hand lane who want to pass at more than 120km/h (albeit that they are all breaking the law). What I am saying is that those people should not be doing more than 120km/h in the first place, nor should they feel they are more entitled to a piece of road than I am, purely because they are going faster. To put it differently, say said driver who wanted to overtake me did so and lo and behold gets caught by a speeding camera. Is he now entitled to dispute in the fine because he feels he's been done in by not being allowed to travel at more than the speed limit? I'm being a bit facetious but trying to paint a picture. Surely you can't expect me who is within the ambit of the law to slow down to 90km/h and let the person pass. I will do so when there is a gap and it is safe to do so. 

Edited by deefish