The Essential Cycle Light Buyers Guide

extremelights

Cycle Light Buyers Guide

Best Cycle Light Buyers Guide will help you decide which light is best for your type of riding. New to cycling or a veteran, how do you decide which cycle light to buy? Our Best Cycle Light Buyers Guide will guide you through the process of deciding which LED Cycle Light will suit you best.

First question: Do you want a battery integrated cycle light or one with a separate battery?

Separate Battery:

Pro: High powered, long run times, can change batteries on the go / during an event

Con: Slightly heavier, 'more cluttered' cockpit

Battery integrated:

Pro: Neat, lightweight, no wires, USB Chargeable, easy to fit on helmet

Con: Cannot change batteries on the go, limited run times, limited power output

Ultimately the question to answer is simple: What type of riding do you do?

Ultimately the question to answer is simple: What type of riding do you do?

Trail Riding Mountain Bikers

Mountain Bikers who do Off Road Trail riding on dirt roads, jeep tracks and single tracks. Not just any single track, but challenging single tracks. You like to impress or scare your mates with your ridiculously bright light, are afraid of the dark or simply want to see EVERYTHING. Only the latest and greatest will do for you.

What you need & why

As much light (lumen) as possible, in a very wide beam. When you cycle on single tracks, your handlebar will be pointing forward while the tracks will be turning, even into switchbacks. A very wide beam will allow you to see a bigger portion of the track – even “through” the corner.

Best Light

The Ultimate+ Cycle Light has 3000 lumen, which it shines in a wide hotspot, fading into a 180º beam. It is the best light that you will find for jeep and single tracks. It still comes in a compact, lightweight package that is easy to mount to your bike.

20170202-Extreme-Lights-Products-014-Edi

Long Distance Mountain Bikers

Mountain Bikers who do a combination of Road and Off Road riding. You focus on many hours in the saddle training and riding long distance events like the Transbaviaans, 36ONE, 24 hour events or training for the Munga. You spend most of your time on dirt roads, and moderately technical single tracks.

What you need & why

A lot of light (lumen), in a wide beam. When you cycle on winding dirt roads, you need to see next to the road. You also need Modes that will give you sufficient light to see into the early hours of the morning, not tiring your eyes. A long battery life in a light (weight) is essential.

Best Light

The Endurance+ Cycle Light has 2100 lumen, which it shines in a wide hotspot, fading into a 180º beam. On it’s HIGH mode, the battery lasts for 10 hours, and on LOW 40 hours. It is designed specifically for the Transbaviaans Rider.

20170202-Extreme-Lights-Products-013-Edi

Commuters and Road Riders

Commuters, Road Riders and the occasional off road mountain biker. You want to be highly visible everywhere you go – for safety reasons. However you still want to be able to see clearly – not only to be seen. You don’t mind an external battery pack, as you like the fact that you can change batteries midway through.

What you need & why

You need a light that has a small, focused hotspot, lighting up the road directly in front of you. This will let you see obstacles far ahead. You also want to be able to see a bit wider. You have to be highly visible to motorists, but you do not want to blind them completely.

Best Light

The Core+ Cycle Light has all the essentials that you need, in a small, light, quality package. The focused beam has the furthest beam distance, while still giving you light on the sides. The smaller battery pack attaches securely to your bike.

20170202-Extreme-Lights-Products-009-Edi

Edited by extremelights

I just wish you guys would spend more time on fixing the light to the bike?

Your adds all mention lumen and wide angle etc, etc,etc, but nothing about fixing to the bars.

I have tried your "rings" but it results in a wide beam of note because the light shines into the sky and then behind you - 360 degrees.  Fantastic.

I contacted you iro a more permanent fixing.  I have the clamp which is also no good in my mind. Old design?  The screw cannot be tightened enough onto the light - glue is best.

The clamp is not secure enough to hold the light in place off-road = 360 degrees.

The lights are great.  The batteries are great but that is where it stops I am afraid.

Anything new in the pipeline?

Edited by Sepia

Yeah and some more R&D with the rear light. I'm pretty happy with the front (Ultimate+), the rear, not so much. It is plenty bright but it shakes to horizontal and my massive calves start hitting it! 

I just wish you guys would spend more time on fixing the light to the bike?

Your adds all mention lumen and wide angle etc, etc,etc, but nothing about fixing to the bars.

I have tried your "rings" but it results in a wide beam of note because the light shines into the sky and then behind you - 360 degrees.  Fantastic.

I contacted you iro a more permanent fixing.  I have the clamp which is also no good in my mind. Old design?  The screw cannot be tightened enough onto the light - glue is best.

The clamp is not secure enough to hold the light in place off-road = 360 degrees.

The lights are great.  The batteries are great but that is where it stops I am afraid.

Anything new in the pipeline?

Hi Sepia,

Thank you for your comments. 

Which light do you have? This shouldn't happen at all. The screw should tighten sufficiently in order to hold the light secure on the handlebars by using the quick release clamp.

Hi Sepia,

Thank you for your comments. 

Which light do you have? This shouldn't happen at all. The screw should tighten sufficiently in order to hold the light secure on the handlebars by using the quick release clamp.

I have three of your lights including the round rear light.

The numbers are all confusing to me but I think one of them could be the 808E or something like that.

Old light but works like a bomb and is busy serving me well.

Alas, your clamps do not work and I have improvised with a fitting from an IDT.

Copy this fitting and sell it, it works!

I have three of your lights including the round rear light.

The numbers are all confusing to me but I think one of them could be the 808E or something like that.

Old light but works like a bomb and is busy serving me well.

Alas, your clamps do not work and I have improvised with a fitting from an IDT.

Copy this fitting and sell it, it works!

Hi Sepia ,

Please DM me your contact details.

Thank you.

The other huge consideration is integration, for example as an adventure racing team if you all have the same battery connections you can carry 1 spare battery between a few people, but as soon as someone has an ay up or other brand then each person must carry their own spares and if someone elses spare is also used up you can't share batteries.

• 3 weeks later...

Big heads up and grateful thanks to Extreme lights.

Earlier in this thread I asked about light fixing clamps and how inferior they are.

Lo and behold, a new light clamp and spacers presented itself to me via a courier all the way fro Extremelights FOC.

Have not tried it as of yet but the light certainly fits better onto the bracket, more sturdy.

Thanks guys, really good of you and much appreciated! :clap:  :thumbup:

Big heads up and grateful thanks to Extreme lights.

Earlier in this thread I asked about light fixing clamps and how inferior they are.

Lo and behold, a new light clamp and spacers presented itself to me via a courier all the way fro Extremelights FOC.

Have not tried it as of yet but the light certainly fits better onto the bracket, more sturdy.

Thanks guys, really good of you and much appreciated! :clap:  :thumbup:

photos please