Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

No, better if it's you. EU VAT rates are very high and as a ZA resident you can claim most of the VAT back at the airport. Your EU resident friend won't have this luxury, but then they don't need to pay the ZA VAT either.

So if you are buying from SA do you still pay EU VAT or is this automatically excluded?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canyon website has a great tool that allows you to enter all your measurements and then spits out the recommended frame. Its pretty good because I once entered my inseam wrong and based on my height the website said either I have really short legs or I did something wrong so I went back a remeasured and sure enough i had done something wrong. I'm having the bike setup tomorrow so i will reply if it comes back that i got the wrong size but based on the website i got the same size as i normally ride. 

As Lylo said... Also, if you have a reference point (a properly fitted bike) compare reach and stack between online sizing and your current bike. I did that in conjunction with the online sizing tool and it worked out fine.

Imported a Inflite CX bike last month.

Ordered on the Thursday evening, was delivered the following Monday afternoon.

Online ordering process took 5 minutes at most.

1 x payment to UPS for Vat of 15% (bikes imported for personal use carry a 15% VAT charge only, no duty)

Bike build 30 minutes from time of opening box

Imported a Inflite CX bike last month.

Ordered on the Thursday evening, was delivered the following Monday afternoon.

Online ordering process took 5 minutes at most.

1 x payment to UPS for Vat of 15% (bikes imported for personal use carry a 15% VAT charge only, no duty)

Bike build 30 minutes from time of opening box

Are you certain you didn't just get lucky?  Everywhere I've read it seems imported bikes incur the 15% duty in addition to 15% VAT.

So if you are buying from SA do you still pay EU VAT or is this automatically excluded?

Automatically excluded when you set your location to South Africa.  They don't add back the SA VAT (or duties).  That's for you to calculate yourself

I was thinking this morning as I fitted a light to my bike, how do you fit a light to the Aero bars for early morning training?

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/10881.jpg

Hack, forward slash, Bodge...

(As Simon, Matt, Daniel and now Emma would say.....)

I was thinking this morning as I fitted a light to my bike, how do you fit a light to the Aero bars for early morning training?

I'll take a pic of mine for you this evening.

No, better if it's you. EU VAT rates are very high and as a ZA resident you can claim most of the VAT back at the airport. Your EU resident friend won't have this luxury, but then they don't need to pay the ZA VAT either.

How would it work with someone who is a ZA resident (SA Passport) who also has an EU passport? Or would the fact that one would leave EU on the passport and enter SA on the SA passport mean no claiming back in EU but having to pay the ZA VAT anyway?

Anyone know how accurate there are with delivery predictions?

Frame I want in my size is only available in June.

Don’t want to wait that long.

Anyone know how accurate there are with delivery predictions?

Frame I want in my size is only available in June.

Don’t want to wait that long.

Would also like to know. I have mailed them a request regarding the dates.

Would also like to know. I have mailed them a request regarding the dates.

so I actually watched a video on GCN about the Canyon factory and how they manufacture. They don't build the frames as orders come in but rather have production runs of various models. I would probably say based on how efficient they are at getting orders out these estimates are guidelines that they most probably revise shorter with the estimates being the maximum time. i agree best would be to contact them directly. 

I'm trying really, really hard to convince myself not to pull the trigger on a Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 Di2 in Gran Turismo Blue...

Reasons for trying to stop myself:

• Current bike is only 9 months old
  • Current bike has only done about 4,000km
  • +- R82k

Please help me to find more reasons...