The WTF is up with shoe prices thread.

Shebeen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look at western states runner survey.... 

Vivo Barefoot shoes didn't even get a show on the pie chart, or even a mention in the 'other shoes' category, even previous Vivo runners were spotted winning 100 mile races here locally In Hoka's not in Vivo shoes. Notably also no Mr Price shoes, the big numbers were altra, salomon, hoka, brooks and pearl izumi...

Actully everyone should go read the stats based on 92% of runners-

https://www.wser.org/2017/07/01/2017-runner-survey-results/

81% of the sub 24hour finnishers did so without a coach

76% of the finnishers did so without following any specific diet

For me putting on a good pair of shoes is like putting a good set of tyres on my racing motorbike, it is the only contact with the ground and must support me the best I can afford. 

Having worked in a retail environment, I hate paying full price for sporting gear.

So I've become a clearance sale slur and a factory shop junky.

In Cape Town with Access Park and Access city you can buy New Balance, Nike and Adidas end of range or colour changed lines at way cheaper prices.

It's sometimes only a matter of finding what you need in your specific size, but if like me you are a UK11 that's usually easy.

Yup its ridiculous...I refuse to spend R2k on a pair of running shoes.

I try buy on special and buy more than one pair at a time if I can. Got my last pair of Nikes out of Woodmead at R870 for a pair....thats reasonable.

I'll do 1,200-1,500kms in a pair of shoes before throwing out depending on how they feel and whether I start blaming niggles on the shoes.

Cycling shoes easily cost 7K with the new mavic road shoes costing 16k and you complain about the price of takkies.

If you pay that price you deserve to be shafted

If you pay that price you deserve to be shafted

Look at Kalenji from Decathlon store in Alberton (you can buy online). European trail shoe of the year, at slightly more than MRP's shoes (of which I own several pairs) and up there with Vivobarefoot (from nativesport like pieter said, when they are on sale, its a great bargain). I don't think you can get better quality in SA at such a good price than Kalenjis

How does this work? For R50, I'm in, but it wont let me add them to my bag?

don't have a clue, you're the guinea pig. for R50 a shoe i might just buy them for the guys at work!

Look at Kalenji from Decathlon store in Alberton (you can buy online). European trail shoe of the year, at slightly more than MRP's shoes (of which I own several pairs) and up there with Vivobarefoot (from nativesport like pieter said, when they are on sale, its a great bargain). I don't think you can get better quality in SA at such a good price than Kalenjis

what's your feedback on MAXED shoes then?

I haven't tried MAXED shoes so this is purely speculative on my part:

1.) Professionals will often use whatever products are sponsored. You can argue that they want the best and its important enough to them that they will only accept with best but I will argue that free kit wins more often than not (especially if it comes with some cash)

2.) The winners are running comrades in 5hours....not the same as someone pounding the pavement for 11hours (this is 10000% speculation)

I haven't tried MAXED shoes so this is purely speculative on my part:

1.) Professionals will often use whatever products are sponsored. You can argue that they want the best and its important enough to them that they will only accept with best but I will argue that free kit wins more often than not (especially if it comes with some cash)

2.) The winners are running comrades in 5hours....not the same as someone pounding the pavement for 11hours (this is 10000% speculation)

That point is valid, and identified. An elite 6hr comrades runner is on his feet longer than a mid pack 4hr marathon runner, which is kind of why the comparison has a bit of merit.

I'm sure the Maxed shoes would be fine for me (probably most of us)!!

I allow myself to get suckered into all this tech talk marketing bullsh*t and end up spending too much money on kit I'm sure I could buy at a third of the price!!

My New Balance Fresh Foam are on 810km. Feeling a little nostalgic as they are my first pair of proper running shoes. Considering giving the Maxed shoe a try as I don't need anything fancy. My New Balance shoes were amazing though. Out of the 810km, I have only ever had 1 blister, which was tiny and after my first half IM. 

I had a pair of new balance a while back and all thru my teen years when  I used to be very involved in all sorts of sports. I then changed to a pair of adidas which were fine but they press my toes. Late last year I started looking for a budget pair. Everywhere was adidas, which I did not want. Then it was between a pair of Reeboks and New Balance trail shoes. Nostalgia set in and I went with the NB. I just love them, soft and comfy. I think I paid about R700.

They also run 160km a week in the same cheap shoes , while the 11hour runner does 40km a week in his R2500 Adidas.

I see Takealot has the Women's Hoka One One for R1650.00 in my size. Very, very tempted. 

Anyone transition to Hokas? How was it? 

Edited by EmJayZA

I see Takealot has the Women's Hoka One One for R1650.00 in my size. Very, very tempted.

Anyone transition from Hokas? How was it?

I received my Hokas yesterday, took a while to make up my mind. But I managed to try on a demo pair and it felt great. They have a lot of arch support for a neutral shoe, something I like. So you get the extra support without sacrificing the cushioned ride. Will take my first run in them tomorrow and report back.

Before you order tripple check the sizing. They do run half a size, almost close to a full size smaller than other shoes. I order half a size up and its still a little tighter than my other shoes. But in a good snug way.