The WTF is up with shoe prices thread.

Shebeen

I had some insight during the design and manufacturing of those Maxed Elite shoes over the years. The runners that use the shoes play a big part in the design and testing, it’s really not just cheaply made China tech as most people think. If you want a super lightweight, well constructed shoe then nothing will beat it for value. On the other hand, if you need stability features these are not for you. Its outright a racing shoe.

Muds, are you able to elaborate more on this? what exactly was/is your role?

Does MRP really have a local inhouse team, and work on their designs/feedback for prototypes in the east etc. - kind of like probike/raleigh

or is it more like picking through a catalogue and getting tweaks made and at the last minute the aesthetics get done for your brand?

secondly - surely the big money is in the average joe runner who buys in volume. if MRP could put out a good stability shoe at R600-800 they would sell like hotcakes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Muds, are you able to elaborate more on this? what exactly was/is your role?

Does MRP really have a local inhouse team, and work on their designs/feedback for prototypes in the east etc. - kind of like probike/raleigh

or is it more like picking through a catalogue and getting tweaks made and at the last minute the aesthetics get done for your brand?

secondly - surely the big money is in the average joe runner who buys in volume. if MRP could put out a good stability shoe at R600-800 they would sell like hotcakes

Im talking under correction, I haven’t been involved on that side for a while. But, yes they do have an inhouse design team that travels to China. Over there design requirements are relayed to manufacturers and a prototype is made. Shoes are constructed from various parts, so after you gave the manufacturer your requirements they will provide you with n plethora of soles, inners, laces etc to choose from. A lot of these parts, especially soles are the same ones used by other manufacturers, maybe just from previous seasons. Thats why you might see similarities. Ie the Nike free.

My daughter got a pair of Maxed hiking boots. They literally fell to pieces in a few months. The so called leather started flaking off and the sole completely detached themselves from the boot.

Her next pair were Hitech and they lasted 5 years.I paid R200 more for them.

My wife got herself Maxed running shoes. They completely collapsed after about 6 months too.

I will never buy Maxed shoes

• 1 month later...

okee dokee, so I've done the theory part of the research and now we're onto step2 of this process - put it in practice.

top of the range Marathon Race R459. 

Don't bother asking for advice instore, I think the only thing anyone on the staff there had run was a bath - and under current water restrictions that wasn't even recent.

https://www.mrpsport.com/en_za/marathon-racer-7252010264

29261093_10160101144325282_2959429318180

gone for one short 6/7km run. so far so good. lacing system not great, but will work out how to get it fitting properly(might just swap out laces)

okee dokee, so I've done the theory part of the research and now we're onto step2 of this process - put it in practice.

top of the range Marathon Race R459. 

Don't bother asking for advice instore, I think the only thing anyone on the staff there had run was a bath - and under current water restrictions that wasn't even recent.

https://www.mrpsport.com/en_za/marathon-racer-7252010264

29261093_10160101144325282_2959429318180

gone for one short 6/7km run. so far so good. lacing system not great, but will work out how to get it fitting properly(might just swap out laces)

Looks like they are made for 50kg racers.

I bought a pair of Maxed running shoes. They also totally collapsed and the sole detached from the rest of the shoe.

I would stay well away from them and most of their other products.

I'm happy with my Maxed running shoes, except that the heel drop is higher than what I'd like to have. I do some short distance trail running and so far they have held up well and haven't given me issues. I think if you run longer distances it would be worth it to get a better shoe, but for a casual runner these are fine.

Seems like most of the price is going to markup... everyone needs to make a living, but doubling the price to make a profit just doesn't seem right.

Seems like most of the price is going to markup... everyone needs to make a living, but doubling the price to make a profit just doesn't seem right.

When you sell 10 items a day that markup gets eaten by operating costs very quickly. Ie rent in a fancy mall.

But I share your sentiment, so I buy at factory shops and end of season sales.

45% import duty doesn't help... #justsaying

To be fair, they aren't cheap overseas anymore either. US$300.00 for a cycling shoe... are you frigging kidding me?!

• 4 weeks later...

I see Takealot has the Women's Hoka One One for R1650.00 in my size. Very, very tempted. 

Anyone transition to Hokas? How was it? 

I got the Hoka Mafuta from them.

I am a heavy runner and rather designed to play no.2 in Rugby than run and cycle. I have been to Podiatrists and owned just about all shoes there is. My cupboard looks like a bad shoe sale. Lately Brookes Cascadia range has been better than the rest that I tried.

Last year in Portugal I got a cheap pair of New Balance shoes at Decathlon and they worked for a while, then the Compression syndrome sets in and I end up getting new insoles made. It is so frustrating as I never get to a point that I can run more than 2 x 5km + runs a week.

I got the Hoka's in February and the first run was beyond awkward, I felt so slow being used to Brookes Cascadia and the super light New Balance shoes.

I inserted my heal inserts and it got better. I have done 2 x 7km trail runs in the last 6 days and two MTB rides. My legs are fine. If you are a light person this extra padding may be overkill and I definitely feel they rob me of some "spring" in my stride, but I am enjoying my running for the first time in forever.

So for me a cheap shoe robs me of training repetiveness, but I would love to run in a lightweight pair of Maxed shoes at R500!!