MTB Wheel predicament

BikeisLife

Hi all,

I need some advice please...

I have just purchased a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 that came with a 120mm fork on so I have made arrangements to swap it for a 100mm boost fork (Original Spec). The guy swapping with me has been nice enough to offer me a boost hub as well. I now am stuck in making a decision as to what to do about a front wheel. The hub is a Lyne 28 hole boost front hub. 

My main focus is xc/marathon racing and I will train on the bike every weekend. 

I have looked at the Lyne Wheelsets but unfortunately you have to purchase that as a full wheelset so that is pointless considering I already have a Hope4 boost hub laced to a Rapide on the rear.

My next thought was to build a wheel with the Lyne hub and a Rapide rim but unfortunately they don't look like they come in a 28 hole version. 

So that brought me here... What rim should I be looking at? or what are my options? 

My end goal will be to build a wheelset with Carbon hoops laced to Hope 4 boost hubs but unfortunately my bank account turns down this option for me at the moment.

Any help/advice will be gladly appreciated :thumbup:

Edited by Dean9406

29er i presume? A friend of mine just had a new wheelset built up using Alex rims - 28h front 32 rear 25mm ID, after his DT rims gave up after several years. They look good. They were also quite cheap. He had it done by Bridge Cycles down here in CT. 

It may even be possible to reduce the travel on the 120mm fork to 100mm although a little extra travel is seldom a bad thing.

It may even be possible to reduce the travel on the 120mm fork to 100mm although a little extra travel is seldom a bad thing.

Can do so, at a cost.

And the bike came with a Mavic Crossmax wheel on that I'm not too fond of so I thought it would be a good decision to match the boost frame with a boost fork and replace the front wheel at the same time.

Trek Top Fuel 9.9. 

Okay, in that case the 100mm fork would be fine. Though I'd personally still keep the 120, and if you absolutely must have 100mm, then space it down. 

Boost at the front... absolutely unnecessary, IMO. Mainly for tire clearance for plus tires, but I really think a "normal" fork is absolutely fine for your purposes. Not like you're going to be running 2.8's on the front of an xc race machine. 

You're going to be spending money anyway... what about getting a 100mm air shaft for the fork, which will solve the problem without you spending money on another wheel build, with a wheel that you're going to replace in the future anyway?

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Okay, in that case the 100mm fork would be fine. Though I'd personally still keep the 120, and if you absolutely must have 100mm, then space it down. 

Boost at the front... absolutely unnecessary, IMO. Mainly for tire clearance for plus tires, but I really think a "normal" fork is absolutely fine for your purposes. Not like you're going to be running 2.8's on the front of an xc race machine. 

You're going to be spending money anyway... what about getting a 100mm air shaft for the fork, which will solve the problem without you spending money on another wheel build, with a wheel that you're going to replace in the future anyway?

I'm going to be getting rid of my current front wheel at the momentum anyway as I don't enjoy the Crossmax I have on the bike at the moment. 

When it comes to eventually buying a carbon wheelset, I will keep my existing wheelset to train on. 

Buy my wheels and save yourself the trouble of building a new wheelset:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/292941-roval-control-sl-carbon-wheels/

The front hub can be converted to boost using an adaptor from Evobikes:

https://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelset-accessories/wolftooth-boostinator-df-front-dt-swiss-180-240.html

Otherwise, as a lot of other people mention, get a good rim and get it built onto the hub. Just make sure you use a reputable wheel builder.

Edited by Schnavel

Buy my wheels and save yourself the trouble of building a new wheelset:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/292941-roval-control-sl-carbon-wheels/

The front hub can be converted to boost using an adaptor from Evobikes:

https://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelset-accessories/wolftooth-boostinator-df-front-dt-swiss-180-240.html

Otherwise, as a lot of other people mention, get a good rim and get it built onto the hub. Just make sure you use a reputable wheel builder.

I wish I had that kind of money to throw around.. :whistling:  

Trying to find a decent rim is where I am stuck...

Raceface makes an Arc30 rim in 28 hole. https://www.raceface.com/products/details/arc-rims

I just got a set built onto the Fulcrum hubs that came with my original wheels (before I wrecked the rims) and they are amazing and not too pricey.

Thanks! Know who sells them in SA?  :clap:

I'm going to be getting rid of my current front wheel at the momentum anyway as I don't enjoy the Crossmax I have on the bike at the moment. 

When it comes to eventually buying a carbon wheelset, I will keep my existing wheelset to train on. 

Cool, that makes sense.