Talk to me about Boost.

T-Bob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahhaha I think he is arguing that the difference between BOOST and non boost isn't nearly as noticeable and severe as you claim it to be.

I'm not going to argue. I still ride QR and bolt through hubs because I'm poor and I don't believe in progress.

All good as long as you are not riding with silver spokes [emoji50] - an old time hubber told me that only poor people ride silver spokes ....

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

All good as long as you are not riding with silver spokes [emoji50] - an old time hubber told me that only poor people ride silver spokes ....

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

hahahahahahaha

I Like silver spokes!

• 1 month later...

guys I need some help. I dont have a boost hub. but I want to buy a DM chainring, now I see stuff saying 3mm 6mm 0mm etc. wth must I buy.

ps I ride a epic world cup frame 1x11.

Non boost frames require a 6mm offset (standard spacing).

I have the same frame as you, running a carbon xo crank with DM chainring (6mm offset)

just a spanner in the works...I have a BB30...this is what rapide's sales pitch states:

9/10/11/12 and Single Speeder compatible 

SRAM® Direct Mount standard compatible 
Available in 30, 32 and 34t sizes 
3mm offset for BB30/PF30 and Boost 148*12 rear hubs and wherever more clearance is needed on the chainstay 
6mm offset for external cup BBs eg. GXP and pressfit BB86/BB92 
High quality 7075-T6 alloy 
Only 72grams (32t)

So from this I must actually use the 3mm offset. #confusingmuch

• 2 weeks later...

This boost stuff is so all confusing...I hope it can be simplified over time at the least amount of cost. :mellow: The objective is to enjoy the ride.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys. Howzit. I have tried to read about 3mm offset but I can’t understand this stuff. I’m getting a spank wheelset that is factory built. Its a 148 hub. Do these wheels already have a 3mm offset? I’m going to use a NX 1 drive train. Not sure about the chainring I’m getting with the drive train tho. So my question is will I have to have the rear wheel rebuilt or will everything just mash together?

Hey guys. Howzit. I have tried to read about 3mm offset but I can’t understand this stuff. I’m getting a spank wheelset that is factory built. Its a 148 hub. Do these wheels already have a 3mm offset? I’m going to use a NX 1 drive train. Not sure about the chainring I’m getting with the drive train tho. So my question is will I have to have the rear wheel rebuilt or will everything just mash together?

Is this for the Guerilla Gravity?

Rear wheel will have to be dished 3mm

Chain ring must be a 0mm offset

Is this for the Guerilla Gravity?

Rear wheel will have to be dished 3mm

Chain ring must be a 0mm offset

Yes it is. Okay cool. After reading about it on mtbr I was even more confused.

The wheels already have the offset built in being a 148 (Boost) hub the chainring will need to be a 3mm offset and not a 6mm offset. Not sure why you would need to dish the rim by 3mm? 

This is all assuming you have a Boost capable bike?

Boost is actually really simple to understand...the hub flanges are wider apart, the axle is longer 148mm over 142mm. You need a 3mm offset ring to run Boost, 6mm for "standard" 142 axle. nothing more to it really...oh yes - your frame needs to have the Boost spacing too.... 

I think where the confusion is coming in is when you convert a non-Boost hub to fit a Boost frame - using spacers and the like - then you need to re-dish the rim to the one side - depending on the spacer kit used it would be either 3 or 5mm...

Yes it is. Okay cool. After reading about it on mtbr I was even more confused.

Everything is in the manual, incl. Pics about the wheel dishing. Manual is on their site.