Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

I'm not the best guy to offer advice on this. But I do love me some air. If only just a little.

I picked up that personally, muscle memory is my greatest asset for jumps. I almost need to memorise the trail to be able to ride some drops and jumps confidently. There are some jumps that will always be beyond my skill. And I'm okay with that. But its not necessarily the size of the jump that scares me. Its the setup of the trail before, during and after the jump that counts.

Some gaps and tables will always be too big for me. While others, despite being small enough for me to clear, are scary because of the setup. Things like not being able to see the landing until I'm actually in the air. Or that corner before or after. The size of the jumps don't necessarily determine whether I can comfortably do them or not. Like I said. Its the setup. What leads to it and what comes after. So for the ones that I can do. I already know what they feel like. I've memorized the landing for the ones I can't see. I know how much kick that lip has. Whether a pump or preload is best for that specific jump. The speed I need to be to land that drop safely. What the landing feels like once I hit it. The corner before or after. Much of it is just the trail being ridden in my mind and I'm just ticking boxes in my head as I go along. Its why I suck so much riding new trails. I need to ride a line umpteen times and only then can I start working on features.

In Tokai's DH3 there's a rock gap. Its big. I can ride every feature before and after it. But that thing is just crazy big and crazy scary. I've seen friends not only clear it but also over shoot it. I feel as if I should be able to do it. But I don't even attempt it. Its just bloody scary to me. The worst part about it is: Everytime I ride DH3, in NOT attempting the rock gap I ruin flow. The chicken run slows my pace to crawl and I have to pedal like crazy shortly after to get the required speed for the rest. Here's the kicker. (no pun intended)

I felt the same way about the road gap at Gspot a few years back. The one as you come down into Gspot from Eden. It bothered me for a while too. But the chicken run didn't ruin flow. I could keep the pace. So I was fine avoiding it. Then one day I followed a buddy down there. Saw him do the road gap and followed him carelessly over it. A little too much nervous feathering on the brakes and I cased the road. But. In doing so I felt what that feature was like to ride. Kinda. Then with some practice and a bit more speed. After a couple attempts it became something I loved doing. I'm pretty sure that distance needed to be covered in both jumps are similar in size. The difference is that in Gspot I can clearly see the landing as I approach the jump. I also have this long run up so I can focus and prepare myself mentally. It has a wider area to land and should I fall there, it isn't nearly as threatening as the rock gap on DH3. Then there's the memory of it. To be able to memorise what that rock gap feels like. I have to fully commit on my first attempt. Casing is not an option. So I can't even half ass it to get a feel. I don't know if I will ever be able to do it. And watching my friends clear it feels like a shot to the stomach.

Throw in the terrible head space I'm in right now after cracking my ribs thrice over 18 months. And you can get an idea of why I'm so chicken on that rock gap. 

As for age? I know some middle aged guys who chew features like that for breakfast. They make me look forward to being middle aged. Watching older guys do things I can't motivates me. But they also deal a solid blow to my ego when I see them achieve, regularly, that which I'm too scared to even attempt.

Another thing worth mentioning is how some trail maintenance can reset my trail memory to zero. When a little more kick was added to the lip. Or even if they tabled a gap i had previously done several times. Those changes make me nervous. Which is funny because most times the changes are minimal. Just your average maintenance. But it shows how much I rely on memory to achieve doing features. Its also a lekker challenge to get up to speed again. Even on the same lines.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

still not able to hit that rock drop at jonkers, bleh freaks me out...

it is a bit freaky indeed. I'd like to try it on my new bike which i suspect would soak the hit up far better...

41 y.o.

I ride the Hoogies Skill Park often enough, and now I comfortably clear the first set of table tops, but the bigger gap jumps still give me the jeebies. I can now also comfortably negotiate the jumps on the Hoogies ST before the carpark. 

At Meerendal, I now comfortably manage to pop the jumps (all of them), all thanks to the skills park.

I started trying to manual a while back, and can "almost" do it, but I need a dropper post. (Now I just lower my seat tube for my play sessions.)

I found that the biggest obstacle needed (apart from growing a pair...) is to push through the resistance to go faster for the jumps. One tends to want to pull the brakes when approaching a jump, and this is counter-intuitive. From my years of surfing point break waves at Victoria Bay, I know that speed is your friend, and will assist more than hinder when trying "new" tricks on the waves. I recently found this to be true at the skills park as well.

Oh, and GMBN on Youtube. Check it out.

I'm not the best guy to offer advice on this. But I do love me some air. If only just a little.

I picked up that personally, muscle memory is my greatest asset for jumps. I almost need to memorise the trail to be able to ride some drops and jumps confidently. There are some jumps that will always be beyond my skill. And I'm okay with that. But its not necessarily the size of the jump that scares me. Its the setup of the trail before, during and after the jump that counts.

Some gaps and tables will always be too big for me. While others, despite being small enough for me to clear, are scary because of the setup. Things like not being able to see the landing until I'm actually in the air. Or that corner before or after. The size of the jumps don't necessarily determine whether I can comfortably do them or not. Like I said. Its the setup. What leads to it and what comes after. So for the ones that I can do. I already know what they feel like. I've memorized the landing for the ones I can't see. I know how much kick that lip has. Whether a pump or preload is best for that specific jump. The speed I need to be to land that drop safely. What the landing feels like once I hit it. The corner before or after. Much of it is just the trail being ridden in my mind and I'm just ticking boxes in my head as I go along. Its why I suck so much riding new trails. I need to ride a line umpteen times and only then can I start working on features.

In Tokai's DH3 there's a rock gap. Its big. I can ride every feature before and after it. But that thing is just crazy big and crazy scary. I've seen friends not only clear it but also over shoot it. I feel as if I should be able to do it. But I don't even attempt it. Its just bloody scary to me. The worst part about it is: Everytime I ride DH3, in NOT attempting the rock gap I ruin flow. The chicken run slows my pace to crawl and I have to pedal like crazy shortly after to get the required speed for the rest. Here's the kicker. (no pun intended)

I felt the same way about the road gap at Gspot a few years back. The one as you come down into Gspot from Eden. It bothered me for a while too. But the chicken run didn't ruin flow. I could keep the pace. So I was fine avoiding it. Then one day I followed a buddy down there. Saw him do the road gap and followed him carelessly over it. A little too much nervous feathering on the brakes and I cased the road. But. In doing so I felt what that feature was like to ride. Kinda. Then with some practice and a bit more speed. After a couple attempts it became something I loved doing. I'm pretty sure that distance needed to be covered in both jumps are similar in size. The difference is that in Gspot I can clearly see the landing as I approach the jump. I also have this long run up so I can focus and prepare myself mentally. It has a wider area to land and should I fall there, it isn't nearly as threatening as the rock gap on DH3. Then there's the memory of it. To be able to memorise what that rock gap feels like. I have to fully commit on my first attempt. Casing is not an option. So I can't even half ass it to get a feel. I don't know if I will ever be able to do it. And watching my friends clear it feels like a shot to the stomach.

Throw in the terrible head space I'm in right now after cracking my ribs thrice over 18 months. And you can get an idea of why I'm so chicken on that rock gap.

As for age? I know some middle aged guys who chew features like that for breakfast. They make me look forward to being middle aged. Watching older guys do things I can't motivates me. But they also deal a solid blow to my ego when I see them achieve, regularly, that which I'm too scared to even attempt.

Another thing worth mentioning is how some trail maintenance can reset my trail memory to zero. When a little more kick was added to the lip. Or even if they tabled a gap i had previously done several times. Those changes make me nervous. Which is funny because most times the changes are minimal. Just your average maintenance. But it shows how much I rely on memory to achieve doing features. Its also a lekker challenge to get up to speed again. Even on the same lines.

Kudos on the G-Spot road jump. I can honestly say that one has never even tempted me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 51 and every ride involves as many wheels off the ground events as possible, be they jumps or drop offs.

I second what Duane and PhilV have said. Get your bike sorted. Dont try and jump like Nino. If he had a choice, he'd also be jumping on a trail bike with the seat out of the way.

Watch as many videos as possible and practice, starting small. Then apply the same skill to the next biggest feature. Don't pick a high consequence gap jump unless you can clear the same distance on a table top. Common sense and correct application of skills applies here more so than anywhere else on the trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hln1eDixcz8

This is sort of a jump, but a bit like a drop off and the flat landing makes it rather punishing on body and bike.

Yoh, I have never even considered jumping that rock! Respect. Thought it was for practicing rolling over obstacles...

Pic of me clearing the gap jump on Lombard's Terra at Bloemendal. I was 43 at the time. I did it twice on that day and haven't had the marbles to do it again in the last two years. But I will. Start with small jumps and do them many times to build confidence and technique. Then move onto a bigger jump. Repeat. 65df0a97f1c1336931d9cd9f08b31453.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Pic of me clearing the gap jump on Lombard's Terra at Bloemendal. I was 43 at the time. I did it twice on that day and haven't had the marbles to do it again in the last two years. But I will. Start with small jumps and do them many times to build confidence and technique. Then move onto a bigger jump. Repeat. 65df0a97f1c1336931d9cd9f08b31453.jpg

Very cool. Exactly the kind of jump that mess with my head as well. Not so difficult but damn you need to keep your marbles together to commit! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pic!

There was a lot of Mentioning of Dropper posts, Chain reaction's Brand x price is now R1240 plus shipping.

I ordered the 120mm from Lyne. Its R2499. Spoke to a few people and it got very good reviews. Also like to support the local guys.

High jack: .......Faaarkkkk...

Who were the riders? I bloody well know they are not 50+, but I'd like to buy then a Red Bull & Vodka each when I see them next!  :eek:  :thumbup:  :clap:

I went up to Tzaneen for a weekend and Remi showed me his DH course. After seeing him ride, I can confirm that middle aged guys can most definitely jump!! 

I'm not middle aged myself, late 20s... But I used to be very into dirt jumping when I was 13/14 years old. It all comes down to confidence, back then I just sent it. When I fell I just got up and did it again, when something broke, my parents paid.

Now, I'm 20 something, have only been riding again for 3 years after a long break. I know what my bike costs, and have had one or two very small crashes resulting in cracked ribs, slipped discs, and weeks off the bike. And the repairs, they are well - way too expensive to fix! So I practice allot more caution. The result is that I actually end up falling more because I am too carefull, which means I don't have enough speed to clear jumps, I hesitate, and end up falling. 

The lesson - if you want to jump - send it! Obviously build up in terms of the size of the jumps, but when you try a jump for the first time - commit! Do not hesitate - it will only end badly, which just kills your confidence!

Who were the riders? I bloody well know they are not 50+, but I'd like to buy then a Red Bull & Vodka each when I see them next!  :eek:  :thumbup:  :clap:

Some big international names...Cam Zink, Nic Vink, Sam Reynolds, Blake Samson....check out Wayne Schell's vid as well

....local SA wildman...Theo Erlangsen was there...

https://www.facebook.com/TheoErlangsen41/videos/2104965363070717/?q=theo%20erlangsen

And yes.....flippin' lighties!! Getting all frothy about silly jumping about on bicycles...sheez....