The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

I’m also part of this elite club, a fact which I myself sometimes find hard to believe because of how I behave most of the time. I’m still very active but have had one or two health scares which gave me a reality check.

Things I’ve discovered that have changed over the years;

climbing with the youngsters, it doesn’t happen anymore

losing 1kg per week when starting a race diet (lucky if it’s one a month now)

recovery periods after a long ride often include an afternoon nap

hitting form takes closer to 6months than 2months of years past

my body breaks instead of bouncing when I hit the deck

lycra is less appealing

coffee stops are a lot more frequent

cycling is expensive

Things that haven’t changed;

the k@k praat with my mates on the bike is still the same

the girls are just as pretty, if not more so

chasing a wheel never gets old

I can still descend well

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, Ha, ya'all spring-chickens, you need to start a 60's thread bonus. Or maybe it will be only me.?  :w00t:

Don't feel lonely. I can also be a member of your 60's thread.

Also a life long sportsman and did many sports but only start cycling when I turned 40. We ride about 150kms/week - mixture of road and dirt.

I started archery with a compound bow 3 years ago and still want to get a kayak

Pushing 60, halfway through my fifties, much fitter than in my forties!

In line with the topic subject, years ago when heart rate monitors were few and far between my mate's daughter politely inquired if the heart rate strap is to support my (man)boobs  :w00t:  :clap:

it seems after reading comments here...it has paid off being a couch potato...i am getting thinner faster and younger by the month...had a few comments from people of how i actually look younger now that i have lost weight (could also have something to do with the young stock)...

as i am loosing weight and putting mileage into the legs...i am getting faster...10 min faster up the M19...3 hours faster than my first 100 km ride in 2015

only thing i have to agree with is hitting the ground...normally when i hit the ground after falling with the motor bike...i would bounce...get up and continue riding...now i hit the ground...it take 10 min just to get up off the ground from all the aches and pains not even related to the fall :(

Born in 65'... Did a trade in for a 22 year old ( as old as the women you feel) ...the problem with getting a youngling...they still want a family...when I picked up my daughter at holiday care...my gran kids shout grandpa and my daughter shouts daddy... Eeeeish you wanna see the look I get [emoji12]

The problem with mirrors in the house...you are quickly reminded of your age...pity you can't get one like those ones which make you look thinner or fatter...to make you look younger.

Ha, ha,.......now you are just boasting... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

it seems after reading comments here...it has paid off being a couch potato...i am getting thinner faster and younger by the month...had a few comments from people of how i actually look younger now that i have lost weight (could also have something to do with the young stock)...

as i am loosing weight and putting mileage into the legs...i am getting faster...10 min faster up the M19...3 hours faster than my first 100 km ride in 2015

only thing i have to agree with is hitting the ground...normally when i hit the ground after falling with the motor bike...i would bounce...get up and continue riding...now i hit the ground...it take 10 min just to get up off the ground from all the aches and pains not even related to the fall :(

The only reason you are getting faster is because you want to get home to that young bokkie sooner ^_^

I fall into this group and feel better than i ever have.Fortunately have no medical issues yet and enjoying the riding over here.Going to be trying the night crit races in summer.

Ha, ha,.......now you are just boasting... [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

When I first read that I thought he said he did a trade for 22 years!

Lekker thread!!!

Turned 50 last year, been cycling since '83.

I am fitter and stronger than what I was 20 years ago.  Which I am utterly grateful for.  I'm super blessed.

When I line up in the old ballie Vets group (VC) we all look pretty young and strong.  When we remove the sunnies and the helmet, I sometimes think I'm in an old age home. Mind you, some guys looks seriously young - testosterone patches anyone?????

Can still kick many a youngster's butt.

And the 1st year students at Stellies are prettier than ever.  Luckily my son is there, so at least I have a partner in crime, otherwise I'll be a dirty old man....

Edited by Underachiever

Loving the stories....I can relate to most.

Over the years fall off the MTB was a bounce or tuck n roll - i.e. pretty quickly back on the feet.

However, I took a tumble last year, no bounce, no tuck n roll, just a solid splat on the ground! While laying in the dirt, my brain was telling me I'm back on my feet again, but my body didn't agree & just continued to get accustomed to the horizontal position...i just thought WTF & had a good laugh. But for the ego, no damage ensued!