The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you have spent your life falling off of motorcross bikes, bicycles and surfboards, these days are non-existant...

25 years of Jujitsu has had the same effect.

Starting at my toes (two fractured, two dislocations), ankle (this one was actually from playing football - fractured), knee (dislocated, but it was okay because I won...), Hip (no idea what but it hurts when the weather is cold), ribs (fractures), bicep (torn - this really hurt), thumb (dislocated), Finger (2 x fracture), wrist (yep you guessed - another fracture).

And that's just on my right hand side...

So what do I take from this?

1. What was I thinking...

2. I understand now why getting up in the morning hurts so much

3. At some point I passed 'able to defend myself well' and moved into 'too broken to fight back'.

4. Yes it hurt but good grief it was fun along the way.

Every day over the age of 50 without pain is a good day .........................

Perspective -  we are cyclists, 95% of our training sessions are painful...

Perspective -  we are cyclists, 95% of our training sessions are painful...

pretty much. If the legs dont feel tight when you walk it feels like something is wrong.

Running 50 odd marathons in my youth seemed to be a good idea at the time. Now I need a good few minutes of hobbling around in the morning to get things warmed up :lol:

To make matters worse I have destroyed both my shoulders from cycling accidents. Told the Mrs she should sell all the titanium parts when I'm gone.

pretty much. If the legs dont feel tight when you walk it feels like something is wrong

Yep something is wrong, HIIT sessions not hard enough!!!

The reasons for most of my aches and pains:

Broken wrist - The ******* army, running around in the dark

Broken ribs - fishing, boulder hopping after trout, but my favourite rod survived in 1 piece 

Broken wrist - again, same one the army broke, slow speed mtb crash

Broken ribs - don't remember what crash that was

Broken toe - moering down the stairs

Broken collarbone - proper fast mtb crash, first time I needed help getting off the mountain, hospital and titanium parts fitted

Broken scapula - proper near death road crash, that was a wake up call, more hospital, titanium and lengthy recovery

Broken finger - don't remember what happened, but it is still skew, the only break on the left hand side 

Edited by DJR

• 3 weeks later...

I had a birthday last week. My actual age and the way I "feel" (in my mind) seem to have no connection whatsoever. In fact I'm beginning to suspect my date of birth may be a clerical error . . . . .

This starts looking like a medical journal. I thouhgt i was the only buggered weekend warrior around. Day 5 after my shoulder op, and i wants to faint every time my wife helps me with the rehab sessions.......flippin sore

This starts looking like a medical journal. I thouhgt i was the only buggered weekend warrior around. Day 5 after my shoulder op, and i wants to faint every time my wife helps me with the rehab sessions.......flippin sore

Vasbyt!

good luck man!

It will get better. Stick with the physio

5 days - still very early. Whatever movement they recommended this early should be very gentle and well within the pain limits. Do not push it too early on. 

I recall my earliest post-op movement was nothing spectacular. I had to bend over forward about 90 degrees with torso parallel to the ground and let the injured arm hang straight down and then move it in small circles, gradually going to wider circles but no further than where it started to get uncomfortable. Ten clockwise, then 10 anti-clockwise. At first I could hardly go much wider than a saucer, but soon enough it was dinner plate size circles. Now I can do wagon wheels, swim freestyle and do push ups, but a lot of work went in between.

Edited by DJR

5 days - still very early. Whatever movement they recommended this early should be very gentle and well within the pain limits. Do not push it too early on. 

I recall my earliest post-op movement was nothing spectacular. I had to bend over forward about 90 degrees with torso parallel to the ground and let the injured arm hang straight down and then move it in small circles, gradually going to wider circles but no further than where it started to get uncomfortable. Ten clockwise, then 10 anti-clockwise. At first I could hardly go much wider than a saucer, but soon enough it was dinner plate size circles. Now I can do wagon wheels, swim freestyle and do push ups, but a lot of work went in between.

Yes that is some of the movements i have to do, but the list goes on....glad to hear your recovery part. Something to look forward too. For now baby steps i do not want to go through another shoulder op again, this pain is real.....

Reading the latest posts I can just hear my mother “ I told you all those extreme sports would catch up to you when you get older.....” ????

Knowing what I feel now, don’t think I would change much....

Reading the latest posts I can just hear my mother “ I told you all those extreme sports would catch up to you when you get older.....”

Knowing what I feel now, don’t think I would change much....

I look at scars on my hands - a little white patch where some melted plastic landed on the back of my pinkie after I thought it would be fun to set fire to a plastic bottle and flick it around (age 9), a white line on the side of my other hand where I slipped with a carving knife whilst trying to cut my sisters plastic doll in half (age 8), a line on the finger-print of my first finger where I tried to remove a shattered lightbulb from a lamp with my bare hands (age 15). Multiple scars on my knuckles from where spanners have spilled whilst undoing nuts and bolts (weekly up until about age 21)...the list goes on . . . .