Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Well I thought that because it is (or used to be?) an access road to a restaurant, I am allowed to drive on that road with my car, just like I am allowed to drive on access roads on private land to many other restaurants. So seeing that I am allowed by car, why not my bike? Am I banned from riding my bike on other restaurants' access roads?

Having said that, I will respect the rules and not ride there again. At least I observe the riding times... :whistling:

Not wanting to argue with you but the concrete road has been off limits since day1

And it has been communicated plenty times.

It has a clear sign at the gate, no cycling.

And if you get onto from the trail then you are breaking rule ONE of the club. leaving a trail to ride your own way.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know why those times were implemented? Again an entitled member.....

I didn't throw my toys out the cot complaining that the club should do better, I was merely stating that it made me sad, which is a feeling I'm entitled allowed to have. 

I'm sure there are reasons, I've asked and not gotten an answer. It is what it is and I'll abide by it, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I'm well aware and very thankful that the club bends over backwards to give us access to awesome trails and respect that not everything can be achieved.

The only person acting entitled here is you. If you know so much maybe you should share with the rest of the class instead of immediately jumping to labels.

The concrete road was built decades ago as an access road to the microwave radio towers at the top. The Bloemendal function venue was built during later years and had a concession to make use of the road. Before the restaurant the gate at bottom was locked.

Quagga - I know your heart is in the right place but you are attacking the wrong people here...

For the record I also find the traverse closing time annoying. Makes it impractical to incorporate the trails in my "after work trails commute"

seriously dude, wind your neck in a bit. No need to be so confrontational. There was nothing 'entitled' about his post.

seriously dude, wind your neck in a bit. No need to be so confrontational. There was nothing 'entitled' about his post.

I again read Quagga's post differently. He asked why the times were implemented. And i read the ""again an entitled member" as the answer i.e. because of an entitled member, the times were implemented. 

I again read Quagga's post differently. He asked why the times were implemented. And i read the ""again an entitled member" as the answer i.e. because of an entitled member, the times were implemented. 

If that is what he meant then my humble apologies for having a go at him.

Quagga - I know your heart is in the right place but you are attacking the wrong people here...

For the record I also find the traverse closing time annoying. Makes it impractical to incorporate the trails in my "after work trails commute"

Not attacking anyone.

The traverse closing was caused by a member riding there and came across a lady walking her dogs (the dogs were not on leads) He had a moan at her.

She happened to be the farm owner, walking HER dogs on HER land.

Because of that incident she said 17:30 it closes so she can walk her dogs. 

Let me fix this.....

Do you know why those times were implemented? Because of an entitled member.....who had a go at the landowner walking her dogs

Sorry Quagga - misunderstood your earlier post

Wasn't aware of that incident - that's the sad reality of being dependent on the goodwill of landowners - it only takes one idiot...

Edited by Skubarra

Let me fix this.....

Do you know why those times were implemented? Because of an entitled member.....who had a go at the landowner walking her dogs

Sincere apologies I didn't realise that you meant it that way.

I should heed my own advice and also not immediately jump to conclusions  :oops:

Seems to often be the case, one bad apple spoils it for the rest of us.

Let me fix this.....

That can also be quite a sticky situation.

The traverse is for members only and also says no trail running, etc.

So depending on my luck, I might also have come across someone who walks, runs or rides there with no Helmet/TBMTB board on their bike, only to find out it is the land owner.

Depending on how you speak to them during your confrontation, they should also be grateful for those of us who try our best to keep rouge riders off their land.

*Just a hypothetical situation

That can also be quite a sticky situation.

The traverse is for members only and also says no trail running, etc.

So depending on my luck, I might also have come across someone who walks, runs or rides there with no Helmet/TBMTB board on their bike, only to find out it is the land owner.

Depending on how you speak to them during your confrontation, they should also be grateful for those of us who try our best to keep rouge riders off their land.

*Just a hypothetical situation

In the past I did cycle off trail on one of the farms (with the landowners permission) got quite a bollocking from a member who noticed and chased me vigorously up the hill. His motivation was good but his approach was terrible - but then again, how does he know that what I'm saying is true, or I am who I say I am.

It is always going to be a sticky situation but in general most issues can be avoided if we approach everyone - even those we feel are in the wrong - with some common courtesy. If the response you get is in the range of "Get F%&^@D" then by all means have at it.

Sorry Quagga - misunderstood your earlier post

Wasn't aware of that incident - that's the sad reality of being dependent on the goodwill of landowners - it only takes one idiot...

Sincere apologies I didn't realise that you meant it that way.

I should heed my own advice and also not immediately jump to conclusions  :oops:

Seems to often be the case, one bad apple spoils it for the rest of us.

No Problem, I could/should have been more clear :-)

In the past I did cycle off trail on one of the farms (with the landowners permission) got quite a bollocking from a member who noticed and chased me vigorously up the hill. His motivation was good but his approach was terrible - but then again, how does he know that what I'm saying is true, or I am who I say I am.

It is always going to be a sticky situation but in general most issues can be avoided if we approach everyone - even those we feel are in the wrong - with some common courtesy. If the response you get is in the range of "Get F%&^@D" then by all means have at it.

Just to add to this. and FYI

The club rule on this overrules the even the land owner. If you need /want to ride off trail then you need permission from the Land owner AND from the club in writing. Verbal is not accepted.

Just to add to this. and FYI

The club rule on this overrules the even the land owner. If you need /want to ride off trail then you need permission from the Land owner AND from the club in writing. Verbal is not accepted.

Noted. Not relevant anymore for me as the existing trails provide more than enough variety and challenge. This was years ago when I was getting back into MTB after 10 years out.