Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Snip Snip .

Yoh Myles! Black, blue, Tangerine or pink ratings aside, do you think it's worth making a mission from our side of the dambto go ride Conters and do the Black Rhino?

Edit: if you think the Tygerberg trail ratings are whack, you should see how the Wannabees rated the Southeys Vines trail in Somerset West.

Edited by PhilipV

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind gravity riding in South Africa isn't as advanced as it is in the rest of the world so we cant go start regrading all the trails from black to red or blue because if there is the slightest chance that Jannie Koekemoer on his trail/xc bike rides down on a now blue rated trail and rides over a gap covered by a pallet that is 1.2m wide and falls off the edge of the pallet or on some rocks, firstly he'll complain that why is this a blue and not black? It's way to "tech!"

Simply put it's about indemnity. Trail builders/custodians you will never win as long as everyone has opinions.

Well I've only ever ridden on ZA trails and if there was a sign at the top of the black rhino that said don't worry it's a blue I would compare it with all the other blues I've ridden and not be as cautious as I was on my first little toddle down there.

Jannie Koekemoer is a personal mate of mine and while both he and I would look at a pallet jump with a 1.2m gap and circumspectly shake our heads as we took the chicken run, neither of us is quite so stupid as to think "Oh look - here's a new piece of trail with a sign saying watch out for jumps and rock gardens, let's see if the local orthopaedic surgeon needs some more spending money for his trip to whatever exotic place surgeons go in December". 

In fact - Jannie and I both ride cautiously and well enough to see that things get tricky ahead on an unknown trail and stop to have a look see and then decide what's do-able and what will do us.

The only time I ended up having bits of titanium screwed in to hold me together was after I made a really stupid mistake on a very non tech piece of trail. 

I'm glad there's a sign at the top saying "Attention idiots - you are not Greg Minnaar and there are sharp rocks lined up to obstruct bicycles ahead. Be careful"

Simply put it's about indemnity. Trail builders/custodians you will never win as long as everyone has opinions.

You know what they say about opinions. They're like orgasms. I am only interested in mine, and I don't care if you have one too.

This is why we need an objective trail rating system. The problem is in that what seems to be objective according to IMBA is taken very subjectively by trail builders. What Saffa trail builders see as Double Diamond Black will be scoffed at for being maybe a High Blue, or Low Red in Whistler, BC, etc. When I watch Youtube vids of folks riding black lines in those parts of the world, my sphincter starts hyperventilating, but when I watch someone ride a black line in our neck of the woods, I always seem to think it's doable, apart from those suicide lines at Jonkers, which to my uneducated mind seems to be the closest anyone has gotten to a true IMBA Black line.

But again, that's just my orgasm, sorry, opinion...

Dude, I see riders unclipping on the cycle lane at dropped intersections or tighter turns ... I kid you not!

But if someone does not have the skills to ride a trial they should walk the tech sections, there most certainly is shame in walking any sections of trail!

Or use flat pedals. :ph34r:

Yoh Myles! Black, blue, Tangerine or pink ratings aside, do you think it's worth making a mission from our side of the dambto go ride Conters and do the Black Rhino?

Edit: if you think the Tygerberg trail ratings are whack, you should see how the Wannabees rated the Southeys Vines trail in Somerset West.

Its good fun you will enjoy it

You know what they say about opinions. They're like orgasms. I am only interested in mine, and I don't care if you have one too.

This is why we need an objective trail rating system. The problem is in that what seems to be objective according to IMBA is taken very subjectively by trail builders. What Saffa trail builders see as Double Diamond Black will be scoffed at for being maybe a High Blue, or Low Red in Whistler, BC, etc. When I watch Youtube vids of folks riding black lines in those parts of the world, my sphincter starts hyperventilating, but when I watch someone ride a black line in our neck of the woods, I always seem to think it's doable, apart from those suicide lines at Jonkers, which to my uneducated mind seems to be the closest anyone has gotten to a true IMBA Black line.

But again, that's just my orgasm, sorry, opinion...

Well I prefer my "opinion" after hearing my partners "opinion" ......

Personally, I think the black rated trails that we have are a good thing. Simply cause it will make some newbies think twice.

I actually dont really care in all honesty. If there are features that I cant ride, then I go around them provided there are chicken runs. Otherwise I wont bother. So its safe to say, I rate the trail on my ability, but I do understand that some people need a sign even if they dont read it, like they do for a stop sign.

If however we are hosts to a DH Worldcup, then I reckon things should change accordingly.

A bit of perspective when its comes to trail grading

It is almost impossible to get a consistent grading if you are basing your trail grading on the IMBA system, which the bulk of trail gradings on SA trails are based on, as there is no SA trail grading  system currently in place.

The IMBA system is subjective, not cast in stone, open to different interpretations and very short in terms of particular and concise detail when it comes to the often used word in their system....."obstacles"

Their system also requires a "Panel" to officiate the grading system, but it doesn't detail the requirements, skills, knowledge, qualifications, riding ability, etc of each panel member. In other words, you could have a bunch of newbies grading the B Spot at Bloemendal as a Black route, or conversely a bunch of enduro riders grading it as a Green route.

There are too many loopholes, not enough certainties and too much scope for subjective interpretation in the IMBA system for it to be consistent and cast in stone. In other words, its meant to be a guide, not a regulation

This said, this is the very reason that the TMTBC always err on the side of caution when grading their trails, as it gives their members, who are predominantly Blue riders, a conservative GUIDE as to what lies ahead. Remember that they are only concerned as to what happens on their trails and the safety of their vast membership, that's why their grading system on trails like the Cobra and the new Black Rhino is a little cautious.

If it ever comes down to a legal claim, which no doubt there will be one day, then its imperative that trail grading and signage always errs on the side of caution

No one is ever going to win when it comes to trail grading, so lets stop all the stress and argument by viewing  trail grading as just a rough guide and go forth and enjoy yourself, no matter what type of rider you are....

A bit of perspective when its comes to trail grading

xxx

No one is ever going to win when it comes to trail grading, so lets stop all the stress and argument by viewing  trail grading as just a rough guide and go forth and enjoy yourself, no matter what type of rider you are....

The voice of reason!

Edited by Skubarra

yeah, you'll like it, I think. Do Revised and just before you go into Die Kloof (at the road gap) carry on along the jeep track, past cheeky corners and over Main Line to the top of a punchy climb. Black Rhino starts at the top, and you can do a full pull of it and carry on with Happy Hops which is a rad little trail by itself. Back up for Die Kloof and Tree Charge...