Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

No, they’re 2 different things.

From the club site Corridor Section:

https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/green-corridor/

Protea Hotel to D’Aria

This corridor links the Protea Hotel at Jip de Jager road to D’Aria and Bloemendal. The Eastern entrance/exit is at the entrance to Majik Forest and traverses to the Western entrance/exit at D’Aria via Altydgedacht. From here follow the marked route through to D’Aria to Bloemendal.

Please note that the loop around the D’Aria dam back to Bloemendal is open to non members, provided you obtain a valid day licence at Bloemendal

10c2a975d7abfb20856d070ab5534d08.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did the Conters Mast to Bloemendaaler a day or so ago, and the notice that says Board riders only is an engraving as signage.....it really is not a very clear manner to let non-members know not to ride on certain trails. I am assuming that all non-member trails are marked in the same way?

If so, would a clear full colour plaque (could be small if the intent is clear) on these routes not make sense to prevent any future issues?

What is the point of members only features? Eg: Skills park at Hoogekraal? (I get the reasoning behind members only on corridors because it links places with different day passes).

I'm from Somerset West, and make it to Durbanville side maybe 5 times a year - the EWC races at Hoogekraal and Contermans, and then a weekend or two before each race. I would go to Hoogekraal more if I could ride the skills park, but it will always be a day permit because it's far for me and I'm never going to go enough to justify a year pass. Anyway - seems like a good value add to gwt more people out there, yet they close it to day permit holders thereby losing sales of day permits?

I don’t think the skills park is members only.

https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/hoogekraal/

“The trail consists of a main loop of the Hoogekraal farm of 8.5 km, with various specifically built trails feeding off and returning to the main loop, as well as the loop of the Welvergenoegd trails that also feeds off and returns to the main loop, giving you a total ride of 24km on the two farms

You start at the car park and warm up with a gentle climb up the dirt roads, past the skills park below the blue gum trees. Either pop in here for a warm up of the skills you will be needing for your trail ride, or carry on past, where you will descend into the Puff Adder single track climb.”

“Payment terms:

R60 at the trail centre honesty box at Hoogekraal or any of the Snapscan/Zapper facilities at Hoogekraal, Welvergenoegd or Fair Cape gives you full access to the Hoogekraal/Welvergenoegd and Fair Cape Trails. Please pay before you ride and retain proof of purchase on you.

“Facilities

Bike shop and repairs at Hoogekraal parking lot (Black Sheep Bikes)

Delicious coffee at Bike shop at Hoogekraal parking lot

Clean ablution facilities at Hoogekraal parking lot

Magnificent skills park at Hoogekraal catering for all types of skill”

As far as I know the only trail besides the corridors and traverses is the Klipheuwel trail that’s only for members.

What is the point of members only features? Eg: Skills park at Hoogekraal? (I get the reasoning behind members only on corridors because it links places with different day passes).

I'm from Somerset West, and make it to Durbanville side maybe 5 times a year - the EWC races at Hoogekraal and Contermans, and then a weekend or two before each race. I would go to Hoogekraal more if I could ride the skills park, but it will always be a day permit because it's far for me and I'm never going to go enough to justify a year pass. Anyway - seems like a good value add to gwt more people out there, yet they close it to day permit holders thereby losing sales of day permits?

Park is open to day visitors 

Park is open to day visitors

Well then my question is completely null and void. I must've misread a sign somewhere.

In that case I'll make the trip out soon.

• 4 months later...
FINAL WARNING 

We hereby inform all club members of one last warning given to us by one of our landowners (The Traverse / St Johns route), to ensure our members respect riding times, and riding only on the marked route. No further negotiations or concessions will be made by the landowner.

ALSO NOTE, THAT ANY MEMBER FOUND GUILTY OF A TRANSGRESSION OF AFOREMENTIONED, WILL SEE HIS / HER MEMBERSHIP REVOKED.

For those that has been with us for some time, will see a similar pattern here, which eventually cost us the famous Kliprug trail.....

In general this has been a bad week for our club with a number of incidents reported by various landowners, and still sightings of members bringing along non-members unto the trails. As always, the largest portion of us are not at fault here, and the actions of the minority are to blame.....sadly, as in past, this could very well be to the detriment of the whole club.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD THAT EACH MEMBER HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO ABIDE BY THE CLUB'S VERY SIMPLE AND BASIC RULES, FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE WHOLE CLUB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help: my friends want to ride in ~Durbanville tomorrow (I live in Durbanville).

Most of them are club members, but potentially two of them aren't.

They're most interested in Hoogekraal and Contermanskloof trails.

Does anyone know if those trails (unlike the rest of the network) allow for day passes?

Currently the club's newsletters say that trails are only open to club members, but I'm hoping Conties and Hoogies are exceptions to this rule.

Edited by aquaratza

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help: my friends want to ride in ~Durbanville tomorrow (I live in Durbanville).

Does anyone know if those trails (unlike the rest of the network) allow for day passes?

Currently the club's newsletters say that trails are only open to club members, but I'm hoping Conties and Hoogies are exceptions to this rule.

Saw a post on Contermanskloof MTB trails that they do NOT allow day visitors. Members only for now. Can safely assume that the same will apply at Hoogekraal

Hi

Unlike normal operations of past, at this stage none of the Tygerberg venues / trail centres allow day passes - Members Only throughout the whole network. 

Hi

Exert from the mail sent out by the club this past Friday:

Further note, that currently still NO day visitors are allowed on any of our trails, and also that Meerendal remains closed / unavailable at this time.

Sucks for me too, I still get the mails but aren’t a member anymore...don’t want to go buy a years membership now either, firstly times are tight with Covid thingy going on and secondly, what if we get pushed back to level 4 for most of the rest of the year, then it will be an absolute waste...

Thanks for the info :)

@kk6gan: The club usually reduces prices just past halfway through the year I think... and I highly doubt we'd go back to level 4, don't worry :)

Edited by aquaratza

• 10 months later...

An ambulance picked up somebody from the Bloemendal trails at 11.00 today.

Anybody have more information ?

• 1 month later...

BIG thumbs up to Patrick and his teams for excellent trails :thumbup: :clap:

L3-6.jpg.d10f34e84c671c2488caf3b9f0722c67.jpg

L3-18.jpg.a78b8afe4ca8499d4c9da0166a6d4ff7.jpg

Despite the late rains, they have managed to get to most of the trails, and it SHOWS ! :clap:

The odd "lost" day visitor is part of the landscape ..... 

When a club member (4425) takes two friends for a ride of the trails, one would expect him to know where his buddies are allowed with their day-permits .... NO, wait, one would actually expect this club member to get his buddies to PAY for their day-permits !!  And NO, when you enter Traverse FROM Bloemendal at NINE O-CLOCK, no ways anybody is going to believe you that the "store was closed" and you could not buy your day permits .....

L3-33.jpg.3a0fe715d4da1231573e215dd05725f4.jpg

And for the gent riding Traverse with a day-permit, who previously was a club member.  YES, the trails ARE clearly marked ....

L3-8.jpg.301c9b86e51d303858eaa9d06926f9e6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any technical climbs in the network of trails? I've been around bloemendal and up to the mast, while there is lots of climbing is there anything a bit more techy?