Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

1 minute ago, tygerbergmtb said:

bad enough you do this but to suggest others do the same on a blog site?? 

calm down dude. We make sure we keep a lookout way ahead. And as I said - early weekdays only. We have never encountered someone coming down. Also people walk up the downhill sections all the time to session various sections. What's the difference?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, tygerbergmtb said:

And with all those blind bends it can end VERY badly .... 

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

calm down dude. We make sure we keep a lookout way ahead. And as I said - early weekdays only. We have never encountered someone coming down. Also people walk up the downhill sections all the time to session various sections. What's the difference?

Maybe this is the point where it would be in your best interests to stop digging....

Is the right to ride up cheeky corners really the hill you want to die on?

Never claimed it as a right. It's a privilege.  Was just explaining my thought process - as in walker vs riders. Anyway I haven't done it in years because I cant ride early weekdays anymore.

I withdraw all comments regarding riding up trails.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, tygerbergmtb said:

what the actual ****, people do this ???

3 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Never claimed it as a right. It's a privilege.  Was just explaining my thought process - as in walker vs riders. Anyway I haven't done it in years because I cant ride early weekdays anymore.

I withdraw all comments regarding riding up trails.

Cheers

Thank you ????

Hoogekraal has been fun lately. The main descent to the car park has been getting some love and spice and a new section has been introduced just after the Widow Maker which looks like fun. I am tempted to enter the EWC event there next month even. This year has been all about trail progression for me and I am now feeling way more comfortable riding more and more techy stuff mostly thanks to the Skills Park as well as Contermans Black Rhino (from the top).

Here's a salute and a doff of the helmet to the club, and Patrick and his team in particular, for keeping us entertained while the rest of the world freaks out about 'rona.

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Hoogekraal has been fun lately. The main descent to the car park has been getting some love and spice and a new section has been introduced just after the Widow Maker which looks like fun. I am tempted to enter the EWC event there next month even. This year has been all about trail progression for me and I am now feeling way more comfortable riding more and more techy stuff mostly thanks to the Skills Park as well as Contermans Black Rhino (from the top).

Here's a salute and a doff of the helmet to the club, and Patrick and his team in particular, for keeping us entertained while the rest of the world freaks out about 'rona.

I often remark how expansive and cool the network of trails are with the constant enhancements. Privileged to live around DurBieVille Hillz.

19 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Thanks, I'll try some of them out. Just looking to for smallish sections I can work into my routes. Jeep track is getting a bit boring :P

Try the climb to the top forest  of Magic forest from Bloemendal its technical short and steep.

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I often remark how expansive and cool the network of trails are with the constant enhancements. Privileged to live around DurBieVille Hillz.

I have to agree with you on that, but I'd take it a notch higher and say we're privileged to live in Cape Town with the plethora of trails to ride with a mix of variety one would be hard pressed to find elsewhere in SA. We have it all, from some good gravel grinds, to some lekker jeep track, to miles and miles of single-track, to some sphincter tightening techy stuff, bone rattling DH lines, dream inducing flow lines to helsends that only mad men do and even some lung busting climbs. An added bonus is they all have spectacular views and are within an hours drive at most from one another.

How much better can one get it? Lift access is about all I can come up with now. 

41 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I like hanging out at the skills park for a bit. Havent been for a while, but will have to keep an eye out for you!

18 hours ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Ja, I think that's the only one that can be categorised as even remotely technical, and even then it's not, really. 

Funny, the cry for more technical climbing trails doesn't elicit anywhere near the coruscation of SIMPism that the cry for more technical descents does, by the looks of things. 

I guess this is true, but really I think we should ask for more technical climbs. There is nothing quite like clearing a tricky section of trail going up the hill.

This topic came up while we were riding up Spykers climb at Hoogekraal just after they fixed it up recently. I understand this repair was done for drainage purposes and in order to prevent too much damage to the renosterveld, so no complaints here, but it got us talking about the distinct lack of technical climbs in Tygerberg. I can only think of two sections really, the Lombards Terra climb and the short rocky section leading to the Contermans mast (coming from Hillcrest side, It's fun if you try sticking to the right hand sided of the road). 

I for one would love to see some nice, natural, rocky singletrack leading up to the trail heads. Roots would be nice too, but last I checked we only have about seven trees in Tygerberg. It doesn't need to be steep, it doesn't even need to go uphill, just something that gets you from A to B in not the easiest way possible. Remember going up the old lower canaries in Jonkershoek? Slow, rocky, fun.

'Dale, I still chuckle to myself every time I see you contribute to the MTB threads. I distinctly remember trying to get you to join us on the trails, and you were quite adamant about your reason for not riding gravel/off road.

But hey, I'm glad to see you are dabbling on the dark side these days, so no judgement on my side. LOL.....

36 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

'Dale, I still chuckle to myself every time I see you contribute to the MTB threads. I distinctly remember trying to get you to join us on the trails, and you were quite adamant about your reason for not riding gravel/off road.

But hey, I'm glad to see you are dabbling on the dark side these days, so no judgement on my side. LOL.....

Ja nee, Bru. It wasn’t up to me, hey.

When my son arrived in 2013, I had to do a risk analysis of my training time on the road (you mos know I train all week, every week) and decided to dedicate my time to them trails. Now we are both TBMBC members. 

0AA6C70C-5873-45A5-8F61-BE48CC2203B2.jpeg