Beginner Triathlon Bike.

grafou

Hi Guys,

Been following on the forum for some time now and it gotten to the point where I need some more specific advise.

I have recently started with Triathlons (Cross -Tri) and have been enjoying them, so much so, that I want to start with the road tri's. I, however, only have a MTB. I have a  Giant OCR 3 but the frame is now about 5-6 cm to small and frankly don't feel like spending money on a bike that will only last a short while.

So a new bike is the order of the day. My dilemma is whether i ought to look at a normal road bike and kit it out (aero bars) or if i should jump right in and get a TT bike. Some background - 

- Last time on a road bike is about 15 years,

- Will compete in the Trinity, 5150 (bela bela and JHB) and next year the 70.3 (at least 1 a year, maybe 2 -3),

- Would like to do a full ironman one day (very much doubt this will be annual but maybe every 3 or so years,

- Doubt i will ever do road races. If i want to one day I will buy a road bike but don't need to factor this in here, i.e this current bike purchase is really only for tri's but does need to factor in training etc

Any advise is appreciated.

A tri specific bike will be better than getting a roadie and kitting that out for tri.

Most people look at getting a roadie so that they can use it in road races too but as you mentioned you wont be doing that so go straight for a TT bike rather.

Quite a few good deals come up here from time to time so watching the classifieds is normally the best way. Just be aware that your size you would ride on a roadie isnt always the same size you would need on a TT bike .

We have had running discussions around the road vs TT bike in a few threads in the Multisports section. 

https://gearwestbike.com/articles/tri-bike-or-road-bike-pg54.htm

I bought an aero road bike, and I regret it. Would have rather gone for a cheap road bike, and instead bought a decent tri bike. There has been a lot of back and forth regarding the gains of the TT bike, but not many people consider the other factors outside of the aerodynamic gains (such as recruitment of difference muscles and more power transfer). 

If you are serious about triathlon, and see it as a lifestyle, I would invest in a decent TT bike, instead of a road bike. Don't underestimate the training requirements for these events. Most athletes put in a around 10 hours a week for a good couple of months before a 70.3. You can take a look at the Bikehub triathlete Strava group to get an idea, or head to the Multisports section with questions. 

As humans we are flexible and we change our minds as our experiences accumulate. Deciding now on what you want to do in a year or 2 from now is tricky. Tri bikes are specific focused tools with lil option of flexibility so deciding to buy one and that being your only bike limits yr choices.

Some tri's are draft legal so you wont be allowed to use your tri bike...  you can do any triathlon on a road bike but the converse is not true. So think about that. I have never owned a tri bike and have done loads of triathlon including IM. Its not the perfect vehicle for it but it can and does do it.

Additionally, there are courses out there that are tricky on a tri bike.

long story short, if it were my coin I would look at flexibility at this point and opt for a good road bike. At a later point when/if you decide to become completely tri focused then look at options.

but everyone will have their own opinions, its how it is.

Welcome grafou

Good luck on your decision.

I have a carbon Kestrel TT bike bought for provincial and SA TT champs that is available if you decided.

Looking to get R12k for it.

cool, thanks for the replies

A tri specific bike will be better than getting a roadie and kitting that out for tri.

Most people look at getting a roadie so that they can use it in road races too but as you mentioned you wont be doing that so go straight for a TT bike rather.

Quite a few good deals come up here from time to time so watching the classifieds is normally the best way. Just be aware that your size you would ride on a roadie isnt always the same size you would need on a TT bike .

Thanks for the reply. Then its just bike shopping. On that note I can get a Giant SL 6000 Trinity with 105 components for 10k. (with mavic Kysrium wheels).  Pristine condition. I know its a old bike but enough of a good deal? Or do i rather fork out more?