Bicycle Components Service Life

Billy88

What sort of life do you get out of your components? Chain, Chainrings, Cassette, Blades?

Would be interesting to see if one brand gets more kilometres / hours than the other. Do cheaper, heavier components last longer? Does anyone even measure their bike maintenance or just replace components when necessary?

I usually get around 1200km out of a XX1 chain. 11 000km on a X01 cassette and still riding fine.

A bit too much of an open ended question. Doesn't matter what chain/casette/chainrings you have, if you keep them clean and lubed and don't ride when it's muddy they will last a lot longer than a set that gets abused. And just based on this sort of survey, you will never be able to correct for the way the components are treated because everyone thinks they treaat their components well.

Theres lots of factors that come into play that will determine how long your components last. Factors such as regular maintenance and riding conditions all play a role in drivetrain wear.

To partly answer your question, what I have found is that cheaper components will usually last longer than higher end components example a 105 cassette will last longer than a Dura Ace cassette.

This is due to the fact that higher end components are usually made using softer metals in order to save weight.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t think people actually monitor the life they get from their components. I don’t think they monitor their service intervals either. They just take their bike to the shop when they feel it “needs” a service. So much wear and tear could be prevented just by checking chain stretch every now and then.

I like to monitor that sort of stuff. It’s interesting to see the difference just lube makes to your chain life.

You question is open ended on all aspects.  People look at their bikes in different ways so won't be able to generalise at all.  Many on this forum service their bikes themselves.  When in SA I used to take it to the bike shop but I would still monitor milage on chains etc.  As a commuter in city traffic I did not take chances on slipping/breaking chains.

I do not work on fixed intervals.  I check my chain wear on a regular basis.  On average on my road bike I get in the area of 5000km.  My Mtb is currently on 4500km but still in good condition so chances are I will exceed that.  I keep my bike clean and replace all cables normally about once a year on the road bike.