Cutoms duties on helmet in 2018?

TrooperX

Hi I want to buy a helmet only from another country (irland) and ice seen lots of talk on forum but its all from 2016 and non of its a clear answer. I only have the money the helmet cost and shipping

Some people are saying if you use DHL you get charged a standard R150

If not what's the customs 30% or 25%

Thanks a lot

Hi I want to buy a helmet only from another country (irland) and ice seen lots of talk on forum but its all from 2016 and non of its a clear answer. I only have the money the helmet cost and shipping

Some people are saying if you use DHL you get charged a standard R150

If not what's the customs 30% or 25%

Thanks a lot

Customs 25%, then you'll pay another 15.4% for VAT and some other thing, then you'll pay a clearance fee anywhere from R70 (sapo) to R150 (dhl).

Customs 25%, then you'll pay another 15.4% for VAT and some other thing, then you'll pay a clearance fee anywhere from R70 (sapo) to R150 (dhl).

Thanks you very much????

• 1 month later...

It's now closer to 16,6% with the new VAT increase.

My last shipment came in with Skynet, and not DHL. The result was a R350 handling fee + the relevant Customs VAT (shifters = 0% duty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so if I buy A R1000 helmet thorugh DHL landed here it should be around R1554 ? Right ?

so if I buy A R1000 helmet thorugh DHL landed here it should be around R1554 ? Right ?

Sounds about right...

My last shipment came in with Skynet, and not DHL. The result was a R350 handling fee + the relevant Customs VAT (shifters = 0% duty).

Sh#t, R350 is a little obscene, how do they motivate that?

Probably know the person on the receiving end is a sitting duck so they take full advantage.

Paid the same with SkyNet. Was bummed but they cared rocks, not much you can do about it. At least I know to factor it in for future purchases

A = R1000

B = R1000 * 25% = R250

C = ([A + B)*1.1*0.15 = R206.25

D1/2 = handling fee from courier (see below)

E1 = A + B + C + D1= R1000 + R250 + R206.25 + R150 = R1606.25

E2 = A + B + C + D2 = R1000 + R250 + R206.25 + R350 = R1806.25

A = FOB value

B = Custom Duties

C = Added Tax Value (Customs VAT)

D1 = Handling fee DHL = R150

D2 = Handling fee SkyNet = R350

E1 = Landed cost through DHL

E2 = Landed cost through Skynet

Now look for the helmet locally (If available) and see how the price compares. Sometimes it will work out cheaper to get it locally.

Sh#t, R350 is a little obscene, how do they motivate that?

Probably know the person on the receiving end is a sitting duck so they take full advantage.

Would be nice if we had a choice between the two couriers.

A friend brings components in quite often - and finds that DHL splits the shipments into 2-3 = R150/shipment. Compare that with Skynet = R350.

Would be nice if we had a choice between the two couriers.

A friend brings components in quite often - and finds that DHL splits the shipments into 2-3 = R150/shipment. Compare that with Skynet = R350.

DHL doesn't split the shipments Crc or whoever the sender is does that? Or else DHL is just taking the p#ss, it should be one invoice one inspection/clearance fee

• 8 months later...

A = R1000

B = R1000 * 25% = R250

C = ([A + B)*1.1*0.15 = R206.25

D1/2 = handling fee from courier (see below)

E1 = A + B + C + D1= R1000 + R250 + R206.25 + R150 = R1606.25

E2 = A + B + C + D2 = R1000 + R250 + R206.25 + R350 = R1806.25

A = FOB value

B = Custom Duties

C = Added Tax Value (Customs VAT)

D1 = Handling fee DHL = R150

D2 = Handling fee SkyNet = R350

E1 = Landed cost through DHL

E2 = Landed cost through Skynet

Now look for the helmet locally (If available) and see how the price compares. Sometimes it will work out cheaper to get it locally.

That's very helpful, thanks. Can anyone tell me what's the import tax on protective gear like knee and elbow guards?