Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

This morning we were stopped at the 1st gate by a security guard who told us that cyclists were not allowed access anymore.

In the year that we have lived here and ridden through that gate we have never seen a security guard.

Does anyone know what has changed?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modderfontein reserve is closed entirely on Mondays, probably just poor communication from the guard.

Arrived at 5:55 on Sunday waited till 6:04 when the guard arrived and we were all given access with no worries.

Trail maintenance is a bit of a different story though. The more frequently used green and orange sections seem to be ok but when I hit the far red singletrack up and down the hill at the back it started to feel like I was Edmund Hillary exploring unchartered territory - those tracks have not seen a cutter in a while.

We went through the 1st wooden gate at 5h45 this morning.

Gate was open and no guard in sight.

So I guess yesterday's communication to the guard re cyclists being denied access was incorrect and should have been "closed on Monday, come back tommorrow"

We went through the 1st wooden gate at 5h45 this morning.

Gate was open and no guard in sight.

So I guess yesterday's communication to the guard re cyclists being denied access was incorrect and should have been "closed on Monday, come back tommorrow"

it's been quite a while now - there's a notice on the window at the ticket booth that states the reserve is closed on Mondays. 

Check for ticks!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Was there this morning. I've never seen the black jacks this bad before. We were coated in them after 5 minutes on the single track.

post-105680-0-10681200-1522599965_thumb.jpg

We ride there often.

Some parts are trimed.

Due to the rain I guess it's difficult to keep everything in check.

Still a great place to ride

I must admit maintenance are lacking even the benches by the bike wash are dry and cracking, lets hope winter will sort it out.

Winter doesn't sort ANYTHING out! lol

What time does Modderfontein open in the mornings? Want to go ride there tomorrow morning, is it still worthwhile or has the trails gone to the dogs?