Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

If you ride there regularly, you'll know how awesome this park can be, if maintained to a standard!

Sadly this standard has not been there in recent memory...

BUT ....Winter in coming!!!

I do ride there regularly as I live 5kms away. So I do get the variation in the maintenance cycle. And look forward to the trails after Saturday's race  :D

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do ride there regularly as I live 5kms away. So I do get the variation in the maintenance cycle. And look forward to the trails after Saturday's race  :D

What race is on Saturday? My toppie is doing it.

What race is on Saturday? My toppie is doing it.

Two The Core - Rover Ride

40mm of rain forecast for Saturday afternoon so he better ride fast.

Edited by I FLY

• 2 weeks later...

From FB....

"It is with a heavy heart that we write to you to inform you that our time with Modderfontein has come to an end.

We prefer not to delve into the details at this stage as we are in the process of pursuing legal action. Many of you will have noticed a steady deterioration in the standards of the park in recent months, those who have been with us for many years will obviously know the extremely high standards that we set for ourselves and we want to assure you that the situation has caused us as much unhappiness as it has caused you.

Some of you will have reported that fees may have been increased, we have no knowledge or control over this and we apologise should this be the case. We have certainly not been a part of any decisions to increase fees. There may be outstanding access cards held by some of you which we are in the process of resolving with The Reserve should you have any queries in this regard please contact us directly.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your unwavering support over the past seven years. Rest assured that we will go from strength to strength and look forward to bright opportunities that we will communicate to you in the coming weeks.

All the best and safe riding always

Two The Core Team"

I did the Two The Core - Rover Ride weekend before last, and haven't been riding at the reserve in a while. It really has gone downhill (pardon pun). Large parts of the trails were very overgrown.

So sad that this reserve is seemingly going to end up in Property Developer hell....

Crazy stuff. I had noticed that the property developments are coming closer and closer each week really.. with access roads being built in the reserve. Its crazy as are there any protected green belts in GP anywhere..? It started to happen the moment they changed the name from Modderfontein Nature Reserve to Modderfontein Reserve- going from a nature reserve to a piece of land reserved to be sold off for development. Why are Africans so backward.. really why? Why do they not have a love and appreciation for nature for animals for walking and hiking and mountain biking and time out and places to revive the spirit and exercise and sunshine and fresh air and lakes and rivers and streams and pollution free clean water and and and...

From FB....

"It is with a heavy heart that we write to you to inform you that our time with Modderfontein has come to an end.

We prefer not to delve into the details at this stage as we are in the process of pursuing legal action. Many of you will have noticed a steady deterioration in the standards of the park in recent months, those who have been with us for many years will obviously know the extremely high standards that we set for ourselves and we want to assure you that the situation has caused us as much unhappiness as it has caused you.

Some of you will have reported that fees may have been increased, we have no knowledge or control over this and we apologise should this be the case. We have certainly not been a part of any decisions to increase fees. There may be outstanding access cards held by some of you which we are in the process of resolving with The Reserve should you have any queries in this regard please contact us directly.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your unwavering support over the past seven years. Rest assured that we will go from strength to strength and look forward to bright opportunities that we will communicate to you in the coming weeks.

All the best and safe riding always

Two The Core Team"

If I'm reading this correctly, it doesn't say that mtb at the reserve is ending, just that the Two The Core management contract has come to an end? (And the management of the trails wasn't that good anyway from comments further up in this thread?)

Easy on the hysteria chaps. It sounds like it needs maintenance anyway before the Wolves take over...

Someone Said it will open again on 20 March 2020

If this is an intended close to improve things then that will be great. As much as two the core tries to make everything someone else's fault. They took our fees for years and never really justified it with the poor maintenance and general lack of actual trail management/design expertise.

I did try to post something to the reserve but have had no answer, development is still a risk until they re-confirm that the reserve will be maintained.

I do know from the original announcement 7 years ago when heartland sold the reserve that the current reserve is bigger than the intended reserve. They might be closing to resize it to its final state to accommodate the final development plans.

Some public communications would be great.

If this is an intended close to improve things then that will be great. As much as two the core tries to make everything someone else's fault. They took our fees for years and never really justified it with the poor maintenance and general lack of actual trail management/design expertise.

I did try to post something to the reserve but have had no answer, development is still a risk until they re-confirm that the reserve will be maintained.

I do know from the original announcement 7 years ago when heartland sold the reserve that the current reserve is bigger than the intended reserve. They might be closing to resize it to its final state to accommodate the final development plans.

Some public communications would be great.

I concur with this statement. I don't think we're in danger of losing the reserve as a green space atm. The big Hub new york in Africa malarkey fortunately fell through but there is still going to be residential development around because sadly people keep making more of themselves.

That said a few weeks back I left the bike at home and went for a walk around the reserve. It's still well maintained from that aspect, there were many foreign tourists around enjoying the walks. It was clean and the paths well marked and accessible.

Anyone managing events and charging to ride a race while still allowing general public to ride the trails at the same time are IMO confused and have the poor planning around the whole thing. Without knowing why and who ultimately is in charge , the full value of the space is not well utilised but maybe for a greenspace that's boot such a bad thing. I look forward to seeing what happens going forth

Edited by Uni

Thanks for the updates chaps!

21st March HAPPENS to be a public holiday...good time to test the trails out!

One big concern is the validity of the multi-access cards. I hope they accept these cards when they reopen. Any feedback on this?