Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

They should make the top gate (Old entrance) the MTB entrance maybe for Multicard access only. Then we could park at 33 high street or the new shopping center and ride in like the old days

This would reduce congestion at the entrance and they would sell lots more multi entry cards = cash in the bank for trail maintenance. 

Good idea or even Fireman's tavern, then change the direction to the "anti-clockwise" direction

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We went there for a walk on Saturday morning, got there just after 6am, we looked to be the first people there, at least we were the only people at the Fish Eagle dam, by 06:30 the place was getting a lot fuller, when we got back to the car at about 09:15ish, the place was PACKED, and now since they are allowing picnicking and fishing, the area was full of people, we took a quick drive to cycling parking area to go to the market for some chow, and it was reasonably quiet there, most of the people were out on the trails

Have to agree with madmarc and dexter. Park is very busy over the weekends. Also did a fast ride yesterday afternoon to try and avoid the crowds. Unfortunately still busy. Very hazardous! Trail walkers and slow riders are asleep. I have a normal bicycle bell, electric bell and my voice to alert them of a fast approach. I’m now considering getting an airhorn. Worst is when they freeze and stay in the middle of the track. ???? Massive accident waiting to happen. Management please take note. It’s much safer during the week and in future will avoid riding there over a weekend.

Bird damage to helmet, river section LOLOLOLOL

Its proper dangerous.....

That bird needs to aim better  :whistling:

Anyone know if the park will be open this Monday?

Normally closed on Mondays but since it is a public holiday I thought might be open. 

• 2 weeks later...

The river is closed for the mean time because of the bird. Just less stress for everyone, very admirable of Taroko to put nature first! The babies (juveniles now) are already flying around so he will stop being so protective of the area soon. 

Yes, noticed this section was closed on Wednesday.

Bird damage to helmet, river section LOLOLOLOL

Its proper dangerous.....

You need to ride faster :whistling:

I eventually figured out what to do to stop being smacked on the head - hold your hand on your helmet like a Mohawk...I got the idea from "The Gods must be crazy" movie. I must had looked ready silly and also difficult to steer with one hand.

Better we stay clear until they have done their bit...

Saw a notice that AECI has received the go ahead to relocate all the game from Modderfontein reserve. They will be starting on Sunday 23 August until further notice. The trails and park will therefore be closed from Sunday.

Nothing on the Taroko Facebook page.

Saw a notice that AECI has received the go ahead to relocate all the game from Modderfontein reserve. They will be starting on Sunday 23 August until further notice. The trails and park will therefore be closed from Sunday.

On another Modderfontein Nature Reserve Facebook page it says park will be closed Monday to Wednesday 24-26 August for game management.

This could be the beginning of the end - We watched the developments up to the fence, only a matter of time before it starts in what we think is still a reserve. No doubt it will have a green belt area, but get prepared to start seeing high density units start going up.

What a lot of people don't realize is the land actually belongs to M & T Developments since they bought out the portfolio of the Zendai group who had grandeur plans of a 85 billion ZAR mega city. These plans were scuttled thanx to Jo'gurg City Council, trying to force Zendai to include thousands of low cost houses in their plans which they refused to do.

The FB pages of "Modderfontein Reserve" are certainly not run by AECI personal, i would hazard a guess its actually more M & T.

So the animals are being donated to Rietvlei Nature Reserve by AECI Ltd whom i would assume are still the owners of the animals but not the land. My question is why ? - If, as the Modderfontein Reserve FB page indicates in various comments that the land is not earmarked for development - Then why move the animals ? 

M & T are in the business of developments, not building or maintaining reserves and with so much land available so close to business centers in a market desperate for housing its not rocket science