Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Modderfontein used to be called Modderfontein nature reserve

When The Zendai chinese came along the name was changed to Modderfontein reserve...

That for me said it all..

Reserved for development and complexes etc was only a matter of time until they skopped the animals out.. each year the "reserve" grows smaller...

Oh well

Progress? For some..

Pity that South Africa does not have proper safe protected places.. safe from crime and development and corruption.. like Central Park in NYC in the mighty USA...

Starring to ride more around my area.. becoming a grateful tourist in my suburb..

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a point of going to Modderfontein this morning and stopping where I could see the animals . Maybe for the last time ????

We took one of my brother’s cycling mates from UK to Modderfontein last year and the animal sighting plus all the white storks was the highlight of his ride

this is from when they reopened the trails at level 3.  wildebeest and zebra and bokkies all just chilling on the plains. I think they enjoyed lockdown. Also the usual ground squirrels and a blue crane on that ride. Will be sad to see it all go.

*** photo because far away but still, i stopped and enjoyed the view for a good while. 

post-44041-0-89950000-1598103036_thumb.jpg

Happy to see there is still lots of wildlife at Modderfontien, cant really see them in the picture, but there were lots of Zebra, Wildebeest, Impala or Springbok and some other buck I couldn't identifyattachicon.gifScreenshot_20200830-172126_Gallery.jpg

I also noticed that this morning and meant to come post it here. Very cool. Was definitely a nice surprise.

See on Taroko facebook page the trails are closed from 7-10 Sept for game management.

Thanks, so this means Friday afternoon ride is a GO.!! :clap:  :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

On my ride yesterday afternoon I managed to see some black-backed jackal pups playing in the middle of the trail. They were just as surprised to see me as I was seeing them. They rushed back into their burrow right next to the trail but there is always one that curiously watched as I passed by.

No time for photos I continued so as not to disturb them.

Definitely the best sighting I've experienced in the reserve.

On my ride yesterday afternoon I managed to see some black-backed jackal pups playing in the middle of the trail. They were just as surprised to see me as I was seeing them. They rushed back into their burrow right next to the trail but there is always one that curiously watched as I passed by.

No time for photos I continued so as not to disturb them.

Definitely the best sighting I've experienced in the reserve.

Thats unique - I've always known there are Jackal in the area from the bird kills i see on the trails, nice to hear there are pups so they are breeding - Hopefully when night rides return we can get to see some African grass owls again. I have also seen African Scops Owls on night rides

Edited by madmarc

• 3 weeks later...