Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be fine. I would just skips the 1st reeds section. And the river section will have some branches you will have to potentially go around or hop off for. 

But last weekend after the rain, was tip top still.  

Thanks for the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally hit the trails the weekend and really impressed on how well it has improved compared to last year. New owners doing a great job

Only thing was I wanted to grab a coke to drive home and had to pay R10 to get in to buy it.

Wonder if cyclist that have paid already could get into the market for "free".

Just a thought but otherwise good work

Was also charged 10 ronds to get a coffee - the guys at entrance said they have nothing to do with the park as the market is a separate business and the entrance fee is 10 ronds. 

Now we will park at Flamingo shopping center and ride in, i'm sure the coffee shops there will appreciate the business

Was also charged 10 ronds to get a coffee - the guys at entrance said they have nothing to do with the park as the market is a separate business and the entrance fee is 10 ronds. 

Now we will park at Flamingo shopping center and ride in, i'm sure the coffee shops there will appreciate the business

I heard the "old" entrance is going to close very soon, can anyone confirm.

Was there middle October and wasn’t charged to enter the market. Don’t know about the old entrance closing. That would just be silly for people from Kempton side. But, I guess they an manage entrance better this way?

Was also disappointed with the R10 charge just to buy a coffee.  Such a pity, nice to have a coffee after a ride. 

Maybe someone will take the opportunity to open a mobile coffee spot outside the market entrance, aimed at cyclists and runners.  I don't think the market will lose business, as most people will scoff at paying an additional R10 for a coffee anyway. 

We live near Flamingo Shopping center and so all our rides into Modderfontein Nature Reserve bypass the Food Market and go straight to a Flamingo coffee shop. There is a choice of 3. Four if you count the one inside the Shell garage

Edited by I FLY

Haven't been to Modderfontein in a few months, Is the entrance to the reserve still in the same place?  

If it is still the same entrance, can you access it from the new Marlboro extension or do you still have to come via Arden road - see below, this is where I always used to turn left to access the reserve? 

Thank you

post-38667-0-44505400-1607418834_thumb.png

Edited by PieterJvR

Haven't been to Modderfontein in a few months, Is the entrance to the reserve still in the same place?  

If it is still the same entrance, can you access it from the new Marlboro extension or do you still have to come via Arden road - see below, this is where I always used to turn left to access the reserve? 

Thank you

Yes this entrance (as far as i know) is still open but rumour has it - it will be closed soon.

The new entrance off Marlboro is far better though, even if you coming from Edenvale side

The best way to find it is with waze or google maps - search for Taroko farms 

You drive through the new gate and pay at the container in the parking lot - the place has changed a lot, its the new home for Fourways Farmers market and you pay 10 ronds entrance fee just to have a coffee after your ride - which sucks.

People who park at Falmingo shopping centre ride to the new entrance along the new development roads in Linbro Park, they have built proper cycle paths on the new main road which is lekka and safe with lots of cyclist and runners who use it

Yes this entrance (as far as i know) is still open but rumour has it - it will be closed soon.

The new entrance off Marlboro is far better though, even if you coming from Edenvale side

The best way to find it is with waze or google maps - search for Taroko farms 

You drive through the new gate and pay at the container in the parking lot - the place has changed a lot, its the new home for Fourways Farmers market and you pay 10 ronds entrance fee just to have a coffee after your ride - which sucks.

People who park at Falmingo shopping centre ride to the new entrance along the new development roads in Linbro Park, they have built proper cycle paths on the new main road which is lekka and safe with lots of cyclist and runners who use it

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I come from Centurion so it was always 'n detour to get to the above entrance. I am going this weekend and will definitely make use of the new entrance.  Much appreciated!!!  :thumbup:

Are there normal flat / gravel type trails on this one for beginners?

Yes there are nice flat trails for beginners, stick to green and you should be fine there is a fair bit of climbing to the start.

Just a quick note, it is VERY muddy at the moment, if you are going to go ride there, just be prepared, maybe run some "wet" chain lube, and just becareful, some places the grass is so long you can literally not see your front wheel

Just a quick note, it is VERY muddy at the moment, if you are going to go ride there, just be prepared, maybe run some "wet" chain lube, and just becareful, some places the grass is so long you can literally not see your front wheel

The reeds section comes to mind. 

Then there is that swamp section next to the clearvu. You can walk that section by staying all the way to the left next to the fence. 

One more big storm and a lot of it will become unridable. 

Thanks, I have actually forgotten what Modderfontein looks like during the rainy season, I think I will rather skip it and just go ride Hennops

The reeds section comes to mind. 

Then there is that swamp section next to the clearvu. You can walk that section by staying all the way to the left next to the fence. 

One more big storm and a lot of it will become unridable.

You mean this section?post-140742-0-98609200-1607433519_thumb.jpgpost-140742-0-77584200-1607433534_thumb.jpg

It is all still very rideable, it just depends on if you kind getting dirty and soaking your shoes