Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

15 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

How was it? Thinking of heading out there this weekend. 

Good spot to ride. Nothing too tech or challenging, but up to 40km of decent trails. Worth a ride for sure

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, thebob said:

Good spot to ride. Nothing too tech or challenging, but up to 40km of decent trails. Worth a ride for sure

Is the river a necessity? Or can one avoid. 

8 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The River is Optional. You can Avoid it. It's closed at the moment.

Will head out. Thanks!!

Went for a ride this morning

I would say Modder is non technical but lots of climbing!

The river is open but you can avoid. Its probably the most fun/technical bit...unfortunately there are a couple of birds that dive at you and they attacked me this morning...thankfully did not see them but felt a thud at the back of my helmet...i would avoid this section for now

Also best of avoid it in the morning as it gets f@&*ing cold...

4 hours ago, JulienR said:

The river is open but you can avoid. Its probably the most fun/technical bit...unfortunately there are a couple of birds that dive at you and they attacked me this morning...thankfully did not see them but felt a thud at the back of my helmet...i would avoid this section for now

Had to postpone because of weather and my boy wasn’t feeling it. What’s with the birds though and attacking read that earlier-what side bird are we talking here. Don’t want to collide with a Bird at full send...

11 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Had to postpone because of weather and my boy wasn’t feeling it. What’s with the birds though and attacking read that earlier-what side bird are we talking here. Don’t want to collide with a Bird at full send...

Black sparrow hawk about 50cm. Big enough to prey on pigeons 

17 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Black Sparrow Hawk - Obv a breeding pair protecting their nest and chicks - They tend to return to the same place to breed every year and the reason why that section of the trail is closed - And all the more reason for riders and hikers to stay away and leave them in peace. 

On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, JulienR said:

Far as I know the river is not open, there’s red/white tape closing off entrance to there.

Was last there about month back, so maybe this has changed? 

• 2 weeks later...

Those that have been riding here over the past weekend, with the current lockdown, are the food stalls operating at all at the trailhead? Can one at least get a takeaway coffee and a schwarma after your ride, or is it all closed down.

keen to give it a go this coming Saturday, but if I can’t get coffee and a bite after, I will rather stay to local Pretoria trails for now.

6 minutes ago, AllTerrain said:

Those that have been riding here over the past weekend, with the current lockdown, are the food stalls operating at all at the trailhead? Can one at least get a takeaway coffee and a schwarma after your ride, or is it all closed down.

keen to give it a go this coming Saturday, but if I can’t get coffee and a bite after, I will rather stay to local Pretoria trails for now.

Actually, any easy trails in Pretoria for a recovery ride? Haven't been to Modderfontien, not really looking forward to be dive bombed by bids like I'm in Jurassic Park...

2 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Actually, any easy trails in Pretoria for a recovery ride? Haven't been to Modderfontien, not really looking forward to be dive bombed by bids like I'm in Jurassic Park...

Buffelsdrift Nguni or Short Nguni

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Cow house trails are also great for recovery rides. Flat, very very easy riding. Great to ride with the kids also