Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Trevz said:

Are any of the routes here doable on my 35c CX rig? ???? Is there any non technical trails. 

Most of it is Non Technical XC , Stay away from the River Section and the Ruins of Mordor.

Be Prepared to Climb.

• 4 weeks later...

I went for a casual ride on Saturday, pushing just a little against myself, but mostly just trying to enjoy the outdoors.

The greenery after the early rains is so....just lekker, but guys, you'll need to sharpen the track maintenance as it is going to become overgrown if you're not careful. An overgrown track does not go down well and negative news will spread like wildfire. Just check out the forum for the Meerendal trails.

I do not consider Modderfontein a difficult place to ride. The slopes and technical bits are generally not too challenging, but there are definitely some spots one could consider dangerous enough to be marked. The trails going up the river and through the ruins especially has one or two spots that could cause injury. There are some places where one passes underneath something (trees or structures) are so low that when I am as flat as I can, still scrape through touching my Camelback. At some of these spots, it come upon you quite suddenly and for the unprepared, it could cause some serious head injury. Another place passing through a doorway where the passing width literary catch my handlebars both sides at the same time. That one is a stopper!

On Saturday I had a crash in an area where there shouldn't have been any risk! No, I did not fall, I crashed into a tree hanging over the track. I just did not see it! In general I would not have any warning in this particular spot, but I did crash quite heavily into a tree hanging over the track. It is possible this tree fell over during the storm passing through the Friday evening. Again, this is a nice flowing zig-zag bit where any dangerous bits are not expected. Signs of the recent fires are still evident and the fires may have weakened the flora. The tree hung over the track with branches caught in a tree on the other side of the track leaving the one part of the tree inline with the visor of my helmet. I was gunning a little uphill and looking at my typical 6-10 meter ahead, going at about 22-25km/h when I hit the three head-on! I came to my senses lying on my back looking up into the sky. Luckily there were some other cyclists around (I don't know who you are but thanks guys) and they made sure I was okay and helped me to wash most of blood of my face.

I rode back to the car feeling fine, but the thought of emergency procedures did come to mind. I do not think it fair to expect Modderfonein the have ready and cover all eventualities, but I do think the clients (walkers, runners and cyclist) do need to have some from of emergency arrangement ready. I didn’t and it could easily have been more serious.

16 hours ago, LBKloppers said:

I went for a casual ride on Saturday, pushing just a little against myself, but mostly just trying to enjoy the outdoors.

The greenery after the early rains is so....just lekker, but guys, you'll need to sharpen the track maintenance as it is going to become overgrown if you're not careful. An overgrown track does not go down well and negative news will spread like wildfire. Just check out the forum for the Meerendal trails.

I do not consider Modderfontein a difficult place to ride. The slopes and technical bits are generally not too challenging, but there are definitely some spots one could consider dangerous enough to be marked. The trails going up the river and through the ruins especially has one or two spots that could cause injury. There are some places where one passes underneath something (trees or structures) are so low that when I am as flat as I can, still scrape through touching my Camelback. At some of these spots, it come upon you quite suddenly and for the unprepared, it could cause some serious head injury. Another place passing through a doorway where the passing width literary catch my handlebars both sides at the same time. That one is a stopper!

On Saturday I had a crash in an area where there shouldn't have been any risk! No, I did not fall, I crashed into a tree hanging over the track. I just did not see it! In general I would not have any warning in this particular spot, but I did crash quite heavily into a tree hanging over the track. It is possible this tree fell over during the storm passing through the Friday evening. Again, this is a nice flowing zig-zag bit where any dangerous bits are not expected. Signs of the recent fires are still evident and the fires may have weakened the flora. The tree hung over the track with branches caught in a tree on the other side of the track leaving the one part of the tree inline with the visor of my helmet. I was gunning a little uphill and looking at my typical 6-10 meter ahead, going at about 22-25km/h when I hit the three head-on! I came to my senses lying on my back looking up into the sky. Luckily there were some other cyclists around (I don't know who you are but thanks guys) and they made sure I was okay and helped me to wash most of blood of my face.

I rode back to the car feeling fine, but the thought of emergency procedures did come to mind. I do not think it fair to expect Modderfonein the have ready and cover all eventualities, but I do think the clients (walkers, runners and cyclist) do need to have some from of emergency arrangement ready. I didn’t and it could easily have been more serious.

Bit concerning, hope you're ok. Any chance you know where that tree was, and on which route so we can advise them? 

Compared to two years ago, the maintenance levels are a huge step up. what I would like to see are some more routes, specifically there is a big space on the left the second tar road section. I think there is a load of potential at Modders waiting to be tapped

The only thing I don't like about Modderfontein is that due to all the riding, in some places the trail became deeply rutted and one is forced to follow it with little margin for error.

But other than that, very nice trail to ride.

Haven’t been to modders in forever . Always found it a bit monotonous. Truth to be told though I was generally hauling around to much bike . Now that is no longer the case , keen to go back and get some mileage in. Always liked the ruins/house and little rocky section .  If I remembering correctly. 

Maybe the gravel bike deserves a spin round there . Although me thinks it could get a little rough and a mtb bike would be more fun. 

1 minute ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

The new pump track is amazing! It's a whole different type of fitness and skill set that you don't know you lack until you try.

Brand new, so is only going to look more inviting with time ❤️IMG_20211104_084343_edit_274529035488315.jpg.452e6e8ca81e0edb16c2d97ef1e833b5.jpg

15 minutes ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Brand new, so is only going to look more inviting with time ❤️IMG_20211104_084343_edit_274529035488315.jpg.452e6e8ca81e0edb16c2d97ef1e833b5.jpg

Pump tracks are knackering ????

16 minutes ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Just in time for my annual pilgrimage to the southern sun! Bring it ????

I've always enjoyed Modders - not challenging enough that you need to focus too much but challenging enough that you don't get bored - a fine chilled out endurance building track that is central to most people in Jhb. Winner winner.

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

Maybe the gravel bike deserves a spin round there . Although me thinks it could get a little rough and a mtb bike would be more fun. 

I've done the majority of the loop on my gravel bike (except the ruins) without issue. And on Panaracer GravelKing slicks nogal! 

Not cycling related per se but more about Modder.

Son and I cycle but we also fish, pap gooi carp type of fishing.

Election day we decided to fish at Modderfontein reserve.

What a pleasure.

Perfect spot for a family's day of fishing.

Awesome spot lots of fish, not big fish admittedly but lots of fish.

Seems with the nearby residential developments some money has been pumped into the park.