Rave : Tour de Frans

The Ouzo

Frans was an absolute gentleman who gave so much to cycling.We bought a number of bikes from him.On one of the occasions it was my sons 16th birthday in July 2007 and he was flying up from Cape Town on the Saturday afternoon and I was driving down from Botswana to pick him up as we were going to do Cycle Mashatu for his birthday.The suprize was a new Scott Scale from Tour de Frans for his Birthday.

Frans came in especially late in the afternoon from a wedding he was attending to open up the shop so we could pick up the bike.He was just like that.

A friend indeed.

I am pretty upset about this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently rode to Durban with Frans and Janine from Benoni on a fundraiser for Reach for a Dream. Both of them were super people, always encouraging the rest of us, always good for a laugh, Frans always ready to help anyone with a bike problem, and Janine a real mensch with good life advice. I only knew them for a few weeks but I am devastated. RIP Frans and Janine, and condolences to their loved ones.

I was with Frans and Jan this morning. What I saw, I don't ever want to see that again. Frans was like a second dad to me and Jan became a very good friend over the last few months. The two of them will be sorely missed. The beers will never be as tasty, biltong as good or the conversation as colourful now that Uncle has gone. RIP my dear friend. I will miss you dearly.

I was with Frans and Jan this morning. What I saw, I don't ever want to see that again. Frans was like a second dad to me and Jan became a very good friend over the last few months. The two of them will be sorely missed. The beers will never be as tasty, biltong as good or the conversation as colourful now that Uncle has gone. RIP my dear friend. I will miss you dearly.

Bruce please post details of the mass ride here so we can make it big in honour of Frans.

I won't divulge on details but Frans and Jan were about 50m behind us after a slight incline. We had crossed over a green traffic light and I saw the taxi approach. It wasn't going fast enough to set off any alarm bells. When Frans and Jan crossed over it was still green for them. In mid way through the intersection it went amber for them according to the lady that was riding with us behind the tandem. She stopped for the traffic light and looked down. We heard Frans shout and then there was an impact. I still thought it was the taxi and another vehicle that collided in Frans' immediate area. In that split second, I turned around to see the cause and actions of that accident in motion. We then turned around immediately to get to them and render assistance. The rest I won't go into out of respect for the families involved. All I know is that the traffic light was red for the taxi. I don't know if he saw the leading 2 bikes (myself and a friend) cross over and then tried to "catch a gap" behind us or if he just accelerated and never saw Frans and Jan... but I do know that when I saw the taxi, he wasn't doing any speed near to what he hit Frans at to cause that kind of damage and destruction.

Oom Frans. We go back a decade or two. Gentleman through and through.

It really sucks that he fought his way through his health scare not so long ago (and the resulting financial consequences of it) only to have his life snuffed so cheaply.

Oom you will be sorely missed from halfway around the globe.

My heart is in my shoes.

I won't divulge on details but Frans and Jan were about 50m behind us after a slight incline. We had crossed over a green traffic light and I saw the taxi approach. It wasn't going fast enough to set off any alarm bells. When Frans and Jan crossed over it was still green for them. In mid way through the intersection it went amber for them according to the lady that was riding with us behind the tandem. She stopped for the traffic light and looked down. We heard Frans shout and then there was an impact. I still thought it was the taxi and another vehicle that collided in Frans' immediate area. In that split second, I turned around to see the cause and actions of that accident in motion. We then turned around immediately to get to them and render assistance. The rest I won't go into out of respect for the families involved. All I know is that the traffic light was red for the taxi. I don't know if he saw the leading 2 bikes (myself and a friend) cross over and then tried to "catch a gap" behind us or if he just accelerated and never saw Frans and Jan... but I do know that when I saw the taxi, he wasn't doing any speed near to what he hit Frans at to cause that kind of damage and destruction.

Thanks for telling . Sorry about the trauma . Sterkte