New triathlon choice bike help.

grafou

Hi Guys,

New to the triathlon scene. I need to buy a bike and looking at triathlon specific. I have been looking around and come across Scott (out of price range), Cannondale (didn't appeal to me), Specialized Shiv (looks ok but no stock), Fuji (waiting on quote)  and the Argon 18 E117.

Out of the lot I prefer the Argon. This it seems will set me back about R46k for a standard set up, 105 components.

I came across the Canyon thread and browsed around on their site. Falling in my budget I can get the Speedmax CF 8.0 with a landed cost of approximately R50k. On the whole better components and wheels than the Argon. This will just mean abit longer wait before my race or I just continue on the MTB for now.

I know nothing about bikes and obviously am therefore worried about sizing if I go for the Canyon. What would you guys and girls suggest in this price range between the two? Or if i have overlooked any other brand?

I don't mind 2nd hand either if i can get a decent bike for a good price. However if the difference is 15 - 20 k and it means the newer one will last me longer, I'm happy ( or rather prepared) to spend on new.

Being new to the tri scene all the options and so on have been somewhat of a minefield and will appreciate any advise.

Thanks.

Give Troisports a ring if you are in Gauteng. The QR PRThree is decently priced, and I believe falls within your price bracket. Also take a look at the Cervelo P2. You can Google for a Cervelo reseller and give them a ring. 

If you are female, Liv offers the best value for  money bike on the market. 

Edited by EmJayZA

When is your race?.... as that will be a factor with regard to how soon you need one

There are some beautiful bikes in the classifieds. I'd buy one with a good frame and decent components and then if I enjoy it later I could upgrade a few parts. That's a lot of money to spend on a bike

A well looked after second hand bike will last you as long as a new one, except you may not have the warranty

TT bikes are so tough to get right and you need to maybe do a bit of shopping around and chat to the bike /tri shops. Like with all bikes geometry plays a major role but even more so as you are sitting at a different angle and that means that they have to take your whole body into account. Like the length of your torso and reach to make sure you are optimum. The bike might look Fly but if its not the bike for you it wont matter how cool the bike is.     

disclaimer: I don't know a lot about bikes, but have also recently started competing in triathlons so will share my perspective/findings anyway.

Bear in mind that some (many) triathlons are draft-legal and do not allow TT/aero bars, and that it is easier to make a road bike into a TT/aero bike than the other way around.

If. as you say. you are new to triathlons I would strongly advise you to start at the shorter end of the race spectrum for a season or two and not jump straight in to Ironman/Half-Ironman distance racing. For that you can get a good second-hand aero-road bike (Giant Propel or TCR, Felt AR, Trek Madone, Cannondale Supersix, Specialized Venge or Tarmac, etc) on the classifieds, add aerobars & use it for a season or two, then sell it on without losing as much as you will on a new bike. Then if (when) the bug bites properly you will have more experience & insight as to what will work for you.

General consensus is that the main advantages of a TT/triathlon specific bike are (i) you look cool, especially in race photos (ii) greater hip angle allows for a better run off the bike (iii) more aero rider position, therefore faster bike for same effort output.

Obviously, the longer the race the greater the impact of (ii) & (iii). Also, you can get some of (ii) and most of (iii) with a careful TT setup on your road bike.

There is quite a lot of discussion on the bikehub Multisport forum that you may find helpful: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/169646-to-tt-or-not-to-tt/

Edited by amr63

I would assume grafou has done quite a bit of a reading and is committed to triathlons if he is willing to drop R45k on a bike. I bought a fancy aero bike, and I really regret it. I would have rather bought a cheaper, second hand bike for the odd road race and group riding, and rather bought a TT bike. 

A better option would to be rather do a Sprint and Oly distance on his MTB, and then see if he is committed. My take on it is if someone invests in a TT, triathlon is a lifestyle, and not just a weekend activity. 

Edited by EmJayZA

If I had 45K to spend - I would buy a secondhand bike with a good set of wheels and a powermeter.

Been on the lookout for a few months as I am also pretty open to a second hand TT if it fits well. Those deals don't pop up with much frequency as I have not seen a single one in my size. 

When is your race?.... as that will be a factor with regard to how soon you need one

Next race would be the Redhub and Trinity in April. Those two I'll slog it out on the MTB if I had to. Then Bela Bela where ideally I would like a proper MTB. Will think about Sun City in May if i get enough time on a new bike. Not keen on 90km on a MTB.

Been on the lookout for a few months as I am also pretty open to a second hand TT if it fits well. Those deals don't pop up with much frequency as I have not seen a single one in my size. 

Theres normally lots of bikes available after IM  :)

I would assume grafou has done quite a bit of a reading and is committed to triathlons if he is willing to drop R45k on a bike. I bought a fancy aero bike, and I really regret it. I would have rather bought a cheaper, second hand bike for the odd road race and group riding, and rather bought a TT bike. 

A better option would to be rather do a Sprint and Oly distance on his MTB, and then see if he is committed. My take on it is if someone invests in a TT, triathlon is a lifestyle, and not just a weekend activity. 

Thanks for the feedback. I have done enough reading to know that I would regret spending huge money on a aero bike. I have now done the Rockman and Redhub Tri's on the MTB and  I'm positive enough to say I will be committed enough to the Tri's that a TT bike is justified. Will look at an el chepo road bike in time for group riding etc.

My biggest fear is to spend a cent on a new or second hand bike and make a novice mistake.

TT bikes are so tough to get right and you need to maybe do a bit of shopping around and chat to the bike /tri shops. Like with all bikes geometry plays a major role but even more so as you are sitting at a different angle and that means that they have to take your whole body into account. Like the length of your torso and reach to make sure you are optimum. The bike might look Fly but if its not the bike for you it wont matter how cool the bike is.     

This is why I am so cautious on the Canyon and/or online buy despite having all measurements. 

Still time, as EmJay said, have a look at Troisports in Hurlingham to see what bikes and offer they can put on the table.

I think Cycle Tech (kyalami) are agents/sellers of Argon bikes

Cycle lab will have Scott, BMC (last time I was there) and maybe a few others 

Else classifieds.... and consider spending based on the best frame you can get, components can be upgraded over time

Edit: Just looked at the classifieds, quite a few Giant Trinity's worth looking at

Edited by shaper

i won't ever buy a tt bike, but that's just me.

if you really are 100% sold on triathlons and nothing else then i guess you can go big and get the R50k canyon (cool looking bike ;)), but if you are a general sportsman as it seems and that you enjoy everything from an easy run, a MTB race, road race, triathlon, xterra etc., then id rather channel my cash towards a decent road bike and MTB.