Aero wheels or Di2 ?

eddy

It is conventional wisdom that the best upgrade you can make to a road bike is better wheels but, over a beer, someone suggested going electronic and that is how the fight started.

If you have good box section wheels - say Ksyriums - and manual shifting and you wanted to improve your ride, do you go with Di2 as a drivetrain upgrade or spend a bit more and get semi-decent deeper section carbon wheels ?

What does the Hub think.

I would say wheels...

Did you see how heavy Ultegra Di2 is?

If you still want to opt for electronic shifting, then I will go with SRAM eTap.

But a (fancy) groupset is really only bling in my opinion and will quickly fade away.

Deep sections wheels will make your bike look fast and you will definitely save a few watts on the flats. 

My mentality is always that I would go for a good set of wheels over a groupset. And afterwards, I will upgrade to ceramic bearings.

Unless your groupset is just awful, doesn't shift properly, drops chains etc, then a decent set of light deep section wheels are a more worth while investment. Bottom line is they are going to save you watts, and watts equal speed in this game

Unless your groupset is just awful, doesn't shift properly, drops chains etc, then a decent set of light deep section wheels are a more worth while investment. 

Light, or deep section ?

Unless you are spending the price of a bike on a set of wheels they will be either light or deep section.

So which would it preferably be ?

Light, or deep section ?

Unless you are spending the price of a bike on a set of wheels they will be either light or deep section.

In your case... STRONG.... :)

38mm is a good depth for all round use - imho

Depending how serious you race.

If you race hard - the wheels.

If you ride for pleasure - Di2.

Di2 is like a dishwasher, you always think you don't need one. Then you get one and wonder how you ever coped without it.

If you are fast enough - the wheels. Some nice 38mm ultralight carbon wheels is plenty good enough.

If not - why do you so badly NEED to spend so much money? rather look at getting fitter as to be able to benefit from any upgrade so spend the cash on something else like an indoor trainer to top up your training or something.

HOWEVER... faster aero wheels seem to give you 25Watts free so you automatically go faster... placebo effect or not. :thumbup:

Like most have said, go for the wheels as they will add the most gain to your rides. Unless your current groupset is falling apart.

I'd also opt for eTap over Di2.

In your case... STRONG.... :)

38mm is a good depth for all round use - imho

Yeah, I'd look at the 36 - 40mm range

Wheels make you faster. Proved. 40mm, 1400g. That's the best all rounder.

Properly indexed mechanical shifting is more than good enough for most elite level racers.

Get wheels first and get Di2 later. But get it  :ph34r:

As mentioned by everyone, wheels would definitely be the better option if you are racing and trying to save some weight. You can definitely have both light and deep section wheels for a much better price than you think. With the right rims and hubs, a 50mm deep, 25mm wide carbon wheelset can be had for R15000 with a weight ranging from 1400 - 1450g.

Just keep in mind though, once you change to electric gears, you will never want to ride anything else again...

Light, or deep section ?

Di2 or eTap is going to be in the same sorta price range as a decent set of 38-40mm carbon wheels. The weight of those wheels will be as light or lighter than a set of Ksyriums and have an advantage in almost every scenario. So I dont think you need to choose between deep and light. Unless you're time trialling, then I'd probably go deeep and heavy

Edited by Schmorglebot