Mark Cavendish

pista

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he won some Tour de France stages with Dimension Data I thought that was the Indian summer of his career, seems I was wrong.

And people are already writing off Sagan at the age of 31....

i wouldn't get too excited*. uh mean a win is a win, but this is not exactly the top end of the sport.

Philipsen is the only oke in the PCS top100 there, and it gets a rating of  173

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-turkey/2021/stage-3/startlist/lineup-quality

Ja but Greipel is there I hear you say (his last race win was 2 years ago (in Gabon), 

When Cav is at a real elite race with the real quick boys, he's unlikely to be DQS chosen sprinter so I wonder if this really changes anything for him.

*more than happy to be wrong here

i wouldn't get too excited*. uh mean a win is a win, but this is not exactly the top end of the sport.

Philipsen is the only oke in the PCS top100 there, and it gets a rating of  173

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-turkey/2021/stage-3/startlist/lineup-quality

Ja but Greipel is there I hear you say (his last race win was 2 years ago (in Gabon), 

When Cav is at a real elite race with the real quick boys, he's unlikely to be DQS chosen sprinter so I wonder if this really changes anything for him.

*more than happy to be wrong here

It's an old cliché I know, But he can only really beat who is infront of him.

It's an old cliché I know, But he can only really beat who is infront of him.

indeed, but it means a little bit less when there's no thoroughbred raceponies behind him.

my prediction:

Lefevre to drum up a social media storm about taking new CAVtm to TdF to go for more stage wins on his already impressive record. 

Team selection time and while he is on the extended roster, there is just no space for him when it comes to final selection.

Cav instagram implodes when he feels let down when his numbers where looking good and he was going to peak in July.   

indeed, but it means a little bit less when there's no thoroughbred raceponies behind him.

my prediction:

Lefevre to drum up a social media storm about taking new CAVtm to TdF to go for more stage wins on his already impressive record. 

Team selection time and while he is on the extended roster, there is just no space for him when it comes to final selection.

Cav instagram implodes when he feels let down when his numbers where looking good and he was going to peak in July.   

Philipsen is very much a thoroughbred race pony who has beaten many top sprinters in the world (including Bennett and Ackermann) during the last few weeks. I would say someone who can beat him twice in a row in a fair sprint must be pretty decent.

Philipsen is very much a thoroughbred race pony who has beaten many top sprinters in the world (including Bennett and Ackermann) during the last few weeks. I would say someone who can beat him twice in a row in a fair sprint must be pretty decent.

This.....

Fully agree... Philipsen is a proper bike rider and sprinter for sure amd has been in some decent form of late.

cowabunga. yes i'm aware he won schelderprijs last week (or did DQS lose it?)

here's the Sprint2 with 250m to go

cav is picking the merits of surfing the isn and alpecin 2 man options 

https://youtu.be/Cl9Y78uiNdk?t=130

philipsen looks around at 200m and goes oh crap, i need to do it from here and puts his head down, Cav times it all perfectly

here's the sprint3 with 200m to go.

ISN lead out=>greipel=>philpsen=>cav

https://youtu.be/Gqgn5Y1izfk?t=174

if Philpsen followed Cav's wheel from the start instead of having to go through both ISN riders he might have taken it.

just for fun, let's look at stage1 with 350m to go.

https://youtu.be/OHXSAYj4nEA?t=161

it's a disorganised mess and the two yellow okes just manage to hold off the orange dude as the other guys finish strong but leave it all a bit too late

ovvee yaas Cav has got streetfighter instincts honed over the years that is all from positioning, timing and reading finishline options, but if the opinion that CAV the sprint demon is back then i think it's a little bit premature*.

let's see how he does in a race with actual leadout trains with him as the chosen sprinter first, if he even gets the opportunity. The one thing I have probably learnt from 10minutes of this on youtube is that the Gorilla seems to be well past his heydey.

*once again, more than happy to be wrong here.

cowabunga. yes i'm aware he won schelderprijs last week (or did DQS lose it?)

here's the Sprint2 with 250m to go

cav is picking the merits of surfing the isn and alpecin 2 man options

https://youtu.be/Cl9Y78uiNdk?t=130

philipsen looks around at 200m and goes oh crap, i need to do it from here and puts his head down, Cav times it all perfectly

here's the sprint3 with 200m to go.

ISN lead out=>greipel=>philpsen=>cav

https://youtu.be/Gqgn5Y1izfk?t=174

if Philpsen followed Cav's wheel from the start instead of having to go through both ISN riders he might have taken it.

just for fun, let's look at stage1 with 350m to go.

https://youtu.be/OHXSAYj4nEA?t=161

it's a disorganised mess and the two yellow okes just manage to hold off the orange dude as the other guys finish strong but leave it all a bit too late

ovvee yaas Cav has got streetfighter instincts honed over the years that is all from positioning, timing and reading finishline options, but if the opinion that CAV the sprint demon is back then i think it's a little bit premature*.

let's see how he does in a race with actual leadout trains with him as the chosen sprinter first, if he even gets the opportunity. The one thing I have probably learnt from 10minutes of this on youtube is that the Gorilla seems to be well past his heydey.

*once again, more than happy to be wrong here.

All points valid, I don’t think anyone thinks heyday Cav is back but it’s great to see him win a couple of races - winning breeds confidence and hopefully we will see him scrap it out in some bigger races

What I’d like to know is what is his real speed like - if they lined up on a street could he compete with Bennet

He could also end his career as a dynamic lead out man and mentor

All points valid, I don’t think anyone thinks heyday Cav is back but it’s great to see him win a couple of races - winning breeds confidence and hopefully we will see him scrap it out in some bigger races

What I’d like to know is what is his real speed like - if they lined up on a street could he compete with Bennet

He could also end his career as a dynamic lead out man and mentor

I don't know... he is a bit small to be enough of a wind-break for the chosen sprinter.

Imagine Sam Bennet trying to hide from the wind behind Caleb Ewan, much less benefit than someone with a bigger frame.

Cav has allot to give in terms of mentorship, for sure.

I can't remember who it was (Merckx? Hinault?) said:

"Whenever somebody tells me they just won a race, my question is 'Who came second?'"

Or is it not possibly a mixture of the 2, Maybe Cavs isn't what he was but at the same time the newer younger riders coming through who weren't around when Cav was dominating are now just that extra bit stronger with all their training and science which has evolved over the past few years?