Road bike for IDT...does the "level" of bike make a difference?

L.T.G

Hi all

(once again if this topic's been covered, apologies.. I couldn't find a thread)

I'm contemplating getting a bike to permanently leave on my IDT (a Kickr 2)

So nothing fancy would be required.... or am I wrong?

wheels, brakes etc obviously matter not.

last thing I want to do is damage my IDT.

Any bike will do, just try to replicate the set up of your other bike

Yup, the cheapest lowest maintenance bike will be the best, provided you get replicate your setup of your current bike.

What they said.

I have a frankenbike abomination on my IDT and it works just fine - no brakes - one ring up front and flat bars on a cracked Litespeed frame. It hurts the eyes but works the legs.

The only thing that matters is matching your current layout and dimensions.

The only other time anything else matters is when you race online in zwift races etc. Then things like drivetrain efficiency and a good rear wheel (hub) matter.

however you should use a good straight rear wheel anyway so you have no issues with the trainer and bearings etc etc.

The only other time anything else matters is when you race online in zwift races etc. Then things like drivetrain efficiency and a good rear wheel (hub) matter.

ah... but for that you just customise your bike in Zwift... always pick the blingiest bike  :ph34r:

but seriously, I doubt it'll matter. you can sweat all over it and not have to deal with that mess on the nest road ride

I will suggest you get a bike that is as close as possible to your racing bike. I am using an MTB on my IDT and I get dropped during road bike races - I think its because the MTB is training different muscles to the muscles I use when using the road bike.

I will suggest you get a bike that is as close as possible to your racing bike. I am using an MTB on my IDT and I get dropped during road bike races - I think its because the MTB is training different muscles to the muscles I use when using the road bike.

Interesting observation. How different is the set-up between the 2 bikes?

Interesting observation. How different is the set-up between the 2 bikes?

Not 100% sure about the setup difference but I took both bikes for professional setup and I can definitely feel the riding difference between the two. One thing for sure is the crankarm length for the MTB is shorter than the road bike.

Not 100% sure about the setup difference but I took both bikes for professional setup and I can definitely feel the riding difference between the two. One thing for sure is the crankarm length for the MTB is shorter than the road bike.

Pull out your tape measure and compare the two - nothing should be more than a few mm different.

Training on different bikes should have no practical difference on racing ability between bikes (as long as they're set up correctly).

One thing for sure is the crankarm length for the MTB is shorter than the road bike.

Really? That's quite interesting, as all the bikes I've owned were the other way around.