Cyclist murdered in Fish Hoek 13/3/18 :-(

Headshot

Hence my question: how are we getting involved in our communities to understand the issues and assist in any small way to solve or play a part in getting to a solution?

It ain't working from behind the keyboard.....

The real answer, which many will not want to hear, is that there is very little you can do that will have any meaningful effect. How do you instill morals into someone who was raised in an environment where rape/pillage/murder is an everyday occurence? Who was educated in a broken system? You can't. But there's a whole generation of those 'someone's' roaming around SA at the moment. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP fellow cyclist

In my view I think this hole theft, murder is cos of jealousy created by cycling  charities that have helped sum kids get on bikes and has created a demand too in the poorer communities.

Is anyone organizing a group ride in remembrance of our fellow cyclist? Maybe bring the Traffic to a standstill to highlight our shared anger and shared respect at the same time?

Brilliant idea.

Why do you not run with it? (not being Facetious at all)

Is anyone organizing a group ride in remembrance of our fellow cyclist? Maybe bring the Traffic to a standstill to highlight our shared anger and shared respect at the same time?

I'll be there !!!

(Do a ride from Muizenberg to Noordhoek beech via Sun Valley where it happened)

Every local government must be reminded that it has an obligation to protect its citizens.

I am not in CT, but if you can find a way to put pressure on them to change the status quo re public safety on the mountain and the trails, do that.

Perhaps look at what what was done here at Groenkloof and Klapperkop. Contact the people here and find out how to approach the right people

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My sincerest condolences to everyone affected by this senseless and cowardly act.

What are you doing then? Other than justifying criminal behaviour?

"Ag shame, the poor sod, he has it so difficult, it is not his fault he wants to kill someone for a bike. He doesn't have food/home/clothes... he can't help he can't distingiush between right and wrong...." AGREED

There are criminal individuals in society. You can't change their wiring. They are what they are. No matter how you want to intervene, it will not work. There are countless examples of others in the same circumstance that has not reverted to criminal behaviour. So the argument that criminal behaviour is to survive socio-economically is over-simplifying.

The government is supposed to rectify the socio-economic problems. Government has made the conscious decision to keep the masses uneducated. Government has made the decision to not improve the living conditions of the poor. Government has made the decision to keep unemployment where it is. Why? To control the masses.

Slightly off topic. Will try and keep it as short as possible. A man about my age used to come and sit at the back of our work on a daily basis. He would wait for us to get deliveries as well as the other businesses so that he can collect the boxes and take it away to get paid.

I always used to admire him and always wow, why is no one else as dedicated to try and do something like this. He would ask to clean the yard and they would let him and he would get paid. Time and again I would bring a bucket and carwash stuff and he would wash my car and I would pay him. Look it was not ideal but he was doing something positive. Then one of the clothing stores gave him a contract over dec period. The Boss treated him in a **** way over there and he decided its time for revenge. Anyways he is in jail. 

So basically poor decisions cost you your livelihood and not circumstances. I have grown up in similar (not as bad) environment. I almost joined a gang, but did not. I almost became a thief, but did not. I never had my own money or things. I have come a very long way and there are people that are way worse off that have come even further. It is all up to the individual as to what step he wants to take.

Every local government must be reminded that it has an obligation to protect its citizens.

I am not in CT, but if you can find a way to put pressure on them to change the status quo re public safety on the mountain and the trails, do that.

Perhaps look at what what was done here at Groenkloof and Klapperkop. Contact the people here and find out how to approach the right people

Not sure how it is up there, but over here, there is not enough police to police one area especially townships and ghettos ( gang infested areas). Which is why kangaroo courts happen. There is just not enough police. 

So many high school dropouts could be recruited but instead entry requirements remain way to high, making it hard for willing people to get work and then they make bad decisions.

Help your local community they say.

Help those less fortunate than you they say.

Be the person who makes a difference in a person's life they say.

Well let me introduce you to Winnie Rust and tell you why I want nothing to do with so called community upliftment programs

The reality for me after the hikers were murdered was that I should more than likely look at getting some form of self defence aid for when I ride. The best tool was the cheapest one at R200 an expandable batton. This iss by no means my call to arms and an opportunity to fight rather than hand over my bike. But if the intention is to harm me, at least I improve my chances of survival R1000 buys a realistic looking pellet gun that puts a healthy distance between you and an attacker. The pepper spray thing is too hit and miss. I know its a bit of a Donald Trump approach but may just be the difference in an altercation and I do feel a smidgen safer.