Bike Check: Fumic and Marotte's Cannondale Scalpel-Si

Bike Hub Features

Manuel Fumic is no stranger to South African audiences with memorable performances in the Absa Cape Epic while Maxime Marotte has been a solid podium performer on the international XCO circuit for a number of years. We tracked down their race bikes at the team house ahead of the Stellenbosch World Cup.

View full article

For the premium you pay for these bikes I would expect it to weigh at least less by the same ratio as the price premium compared to others.

For the premium you pay for these bikes I would expect it to weigh at least less by the same ratio as the price premium compared to others.

Yes agree and everything on those bikes are pretty much as light as can be but the weight penalty comes from the Lefty. The carbon version I think weigh 1765g. They are super stiff and by far the nicest suspension I ever used but they are not that light compared to other conventional forks that are in the region of 1.4kg.  

Next time please ask them about Q-factor. Conventional XTR can't be fitted to Scalpel Si asymmetric frame, only Cannondale cranks or Custom (Ai) version of SRAM Eagle.

Next time please ask them about Q-factor. Conventional XTR can't be fitted to Scalpel Si asymmetric frame, only Cannondale cranks or Custom (Ai) version of SRAM Eagle.

Sure thing. I'll try to catch up with them again at Epic next week.

I thought he was riding with the Brazilian guy. What happened? 

These bikes are from the Stellenbosch World Cup. We featured them together because both sport a custom paint job to match their rider's National Champ jerseys.

Fumic is still riding Epic with his other team mate, Avancini (the Brazilian).

These bikes are from the Stellenbosch World Cup. We featured them together because both sport a custom paint job to match their rider's National Champ jerseys.

Fumic is still riding Epic with his other team mate, Avancini (the Brazilian).

Thank Admins appreciate it

I chatted to the mechanic yesterday. He says the team use a special adaptor and spacers.