Epic stingy prize money

Titleist

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a search but nothing came up.

Is it just me or is the prize money a slap in the face for all professionals? Compared to rugby and golf, R200k is really low for the winners!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+/- R80k entry fee. Plus extras plus plus plus plus etc etc. It probably costs pros, and even the average Joe close to R200k to line up for this event well prepared.

Prize money should at least be a bar for the first men and women.

It is the 'Tour de France' of mountain biking and the Tour De France has some pretty shocking prize money as well so it's keeping the association going. 

Agree, very low considering the entrance fee. The pro teams will spend much more to even participate. But unfortunately this is the norm for cycling in general. Money lies with sponsorship deals for the pros...

Agree, very low considering the entrance fee. The pro teams will spend much more to even participate. But unfortunately this is the norm for cycling in general. Money lies with sponsorship deals for the pros...

exactly that don't even try to convince yourself otherwise

Shouldn’t we be whining about paying golfers and rugby players less rather than paying cyclists more? The pro’s ultimate job is to sell bicycles, not to sell entries to a race. No one is riding the Epic because Nino os riding, but many riders are on Scotts these days due to Nino’s success (even if only influenced subconsciously). Let the teams look after the riders, there is enough profit in bicycle sales to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wasnt it R500k last year?

They even bragged about the Ladies purse being the same as the mens, half a mill

Wasnt it R500k last year?

They even bragged about the Ladies purse being the same as the mens, half a mill

without being a chop here ... no matter the prize money, it is awesome that they have the same purse for the ladies and the men winners.

Proteas get 60-75k per test 20-30k per one day.

Rugby 30-50k per test.

its a tough debate on the payment athletes get if you have to put it into working hour compared to a CEO or CA. 

but each to its own. if the incentive was not big enough the athlete would not have pitched up.

More money more doping

Money in essence has destroyed the core of all sports.

Did Lance do it for the love or the money.

The love of money :| & be the best no matter the cost

without being a chop here ... no matter the prize money, it is awesome that they have the same purse for the ladies and the men winners.

What I was saying, that is the reason I remember it, great for the Ladies, totally agree!

post-4352-0-40734400-1521435151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tankman

The purse might be "low" which I think is generally agreed. However, consider the amount of money that a professional can earn from appearance fees which are paid by sponsors for top riders to be at all their functions to smile, shake hands and stand for selfies with the fans.

If the real money was to race in South Africa the WC XC would only be in ZA and not be travelling the world as they do and you would not have local riders wanting to go and ride in Europe. Fact is that the money is not in ZA, and only a very small number of top riders do get to earn real money outside of ZA. And even the potential international earnings cannot be considered top money.

https://www.bikechaser.com.au/news/much-professional-cyclists-earn

Edited by Traveler

More money more doping

Money in essence has destroyed the core of all sports.

Did Lance do it for the love or the money.

Last I heard the "winner" of the Tour de France does NOT take his winning paycheck ... it gets given to his domestics that got him there.

The "winner's" real earnings comes from sponsorship deals.