commuting to Cape Town CBD

Gixxer

Hi all

Do any of you guys cycle from the Rondebosch / Newlands area to the Cape Town CBD? If so, what routes do you use? I'm contemplating using my mountain bike to town every day but unsure of the best route to take that will avoid taxis (for the most part.)

My idea was to use the pavements and just cycle all the way along the main road until I get to the CBD. Any adice would be appreciated.

TIA

Get onto Liesbeek parkway (which later becomes Albert Rd) by the Rondebosch Common and follow it all the way to town. I'd avoid main road as there are way more taxis than if you take Liesbeek parkway / Albert road

Edited by devocean

Avoid Main Rd like the plague!

Road:

Liesbeek Parkway->Malta->Albert Rd brings you out in Strand Street.  There is a semblance of cycle lanes and it is a popular route.  Traffic and parking on cycle lane bit of a problem but Main Road is lethal!

MTB:

Alternative route is over the the lower slopes of Devil's Peak from the Rhodes Memorial road - more of a challenge but also popular.

Get onto Liesbeek parkway (which later becomes Albert Rd) by the Rondebosch Common and follow it all the way to town. I'd avoid main road as there are way more taxis than if you take Liesbeek parkway / Albert road

Thank you. checked it out on google maps. Seems it's mostly downhill, so I'll have a good workout going home :-)

The hills are imperceptible but the south-easter will give you a proper sorting-out on the way home!

I hear you. I intend checking the weather daily before deciding on motor cycle or pedal cycle. 

I hear you. I intend checking the weather daily before deciding on motor cycle or pedal cycle. 

Good luck with checking the weather, even with the weather forecast of a nice calm sunny day in the Cape, the South Easter will always be blowing on Liesbeeck Parkway, but, it's a good workout none the less.  ;)

Good luck with checking the weather, even with the weather forecast of a nice calm sunny day in the Cape, the South Easter will always be blowing on Liesbeeck Parkway, but, it's a good workout none the less.  ;)

Lived in this city all my life so the wind will add to my weight reduction plans. If it gets too much, there's always Uber XL. :-)

Don't worry about taxis. I do that route most days and they're the least of your worries. Car doors opening and cars flying into the cycles lane from the side roads are a bigger issue

Ping Meeso here on The BikeHub. He commutes from the Rondebosch area into the City Centre via Rhodes Memorial and Vredehoek. That part is all off the roads, but a lot more of a workout than along the Main/Albert Rd route. Seeing that you ride a mountain bike, perhaps give it a try?   

Ping Meeso here on The BikeHub. He commutes from the Rondebosch area into the City Centre via Rhodes Memorial and Vredehoek. That part is all off the roads, but a lot more of a workout than along the Main/Albert Rd route. Seeing that you ride a mountain bike, perhaps give it a try?

Meezo.

I commute from rondebosch to millnerton 4 days a week weather depending. Scarry part is lower main road bicycle lane taxi and cars . Bt lkker ride .

I commute from rondebosch to millnerton 4 days a week weather depending. Scarry part is lower main road bicycle lane taxi and cars . Bt lkker ride .

Lived in this city all my life so the wind will add to my weight reduction plans. If it gets too much, there's always Uber XL. :-)

Just hang in there ....

I have been doing the commute thing for the last 18 months.  Northern suburbs though.

Started once a week ... now do it as often as my routine allows - my site meeting schedule messes with this.

Nothing better than that after-ride feeling ....  ENJOY !!

Meezo.

Yeh, commute through Rondebosch > Claremont > Up towards Rhodes > Rhodes Mem > Lower slopes > Up towards Blockhouse split (now options, into gardens for the best coffee in town, Deluxe ; or go up to blockhouse; or up tafelberg road and down deadmans tree) but eventually we make into to CBD , some to civic center some to foreshore myself to woodstock

Edited by Meezo