Saddle sores - do I pop/lance or not?

Hi Guys - rather started a new specific thread.

I've searched the prior threads and can't find anything definitive, though some scary comments on the net about infected saddle sores which could be fatal.

I've got my first saddle sore - which is basically like a blood blister/boil. It does not seem infected, as just dark red. It's swollen/painful and I cannot ride.

My question is - do I pop/lance it, or just wait it out for it to hopefully repair itself? It's been 4 days with only marginal improvement. I'm concerned that opening it might invite infection, though leaving it might contain the ''stuff' which might need to be removed?

If anyone has experienced similar, please could you share how you treated it. Need to get back on the road.

Lastly, it is worth a trip to the doctor?

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buchu gel and it's gone within two days.

I had it bad on both sides at the same time, could'nt even get in and out of car, never mind sitting on a bicycle saddle.

Used buchu gel and within 2 days it was healed. If it IS a boil, it will need to burst on it's own and drain out completely.

If it's deeper under the skin and cannot burst on it's own, then a trip to the Dr will be necessary.

Hi Guys - rather started a new specific thread.

I've searched the prior threads and can't find anything definitive, though some scary comments on the net about infected saddle sores which could be fatal.

I've got my first saddle sore - which is basically like a blood blister/boil. It does not seem infected, as just dark red. It's swollen/painful and I cannot ride.

My question is - do I pop/lance it, or just wait it out for it to hopefully repair itself? It's been 4 days with only marginal improvement. I'm concerned that opening it might invite infection, though leaving it might contain the ''stuff' which might need to be removed?

If anyone has experienced similar, please could you share how you treated it. Need to get back on the road.

Lastly, it is worth a trip to the doctor?

Thanks.

General rule is not to lance it unless done by a medical professional - sterilise the area around it and all your bibs etc - a spray bottle of surgical spirits helps with this.

Might be worth a visit to your doc - if it's infected then a course of antibiotics is indicated.

General rule is not to lance it unless done by a medical professional - sterilise the area around it and all your bibs etc - a spray bottle of surgical spirits helps with this.

Might be worth a visit to your doc - if it's infected then a course of antibiotics is indicated.

You're a doctor hey?

These guys should rope you in to do a monthly medical topic. Would be great to hear from an actual professional. 

You're a doctor hey?

These guys should rope you in to do a monthly medical topic. Would be great to hear from an actual professional. 

There are several doctors that post here - at least 5 I can think of offhand - seems like hard work to post an article monthly - mostly we jump in on topics that interest us.

Sports has always interested me....

I just put a plaster on it and keep on training.

I just ride shorter rides for 2 days.

Edited by Zatek

Buchu gel and it's gone within two days.

I had it bad on both sides at the same time, could'nt even get in and out of car, never mind sitting on a bicycle saddle.

Used buchu gel and within 2 days it was healed. If it IS a boil, it will need to burst on it's own and drain out completely.

If it's deeper under the skin and cannot burst on it's own, then a trip to the Dr will be necessary.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll try find this buchu gel, and if not cleared by Friday might go to the Doc to lance it.

If I can manage to 'pad/sponge it', it I might try a short ride tomorrow.

This is one of those threads where the term 'Pics, or it didn't happen' does NOT apply !

I do have some of a saddle sore that was lanced and progressed through to join up with the rectum...  took a few surgical retries to get it clear... terrible spot....

Try using the local drawing salve called "Uit trek" I suffer from deep saddle sores and this stuff works pre and post ride.

Thanks - might also try this. Googled it and I think it's called '8-trek' and available at Clicks.

I do have some of a saddle sore that was lanced and progressed through to join up with the rectum...  took a few surgical retries to get it clear... terrible spot....

TMI..... :eek:

Use some aquarius cream before putting on your bibs. Will end up working. Also a specialized saddle which fits your sit bones. 

But you might end up with marks that stay...