Tubeless on the road

Popit

I don't think that one goes tubeless to save weight.

Assuming one has wheels that are tubeless compatible (i.e. ignoring potential difference in wheel weight)

Tubeless tyre (300g) + sealant (60-90g) + valve (10g) = approx 400g

'Normal' tyre (215g) + tube (60-90g) = approx 300g

(welcome to check my assumptions and maths)

Yeah, weight not really an issue. 300g is pretty standard for tubeless tyre. Same as Schwalbe Pro One's which are great tyres, albeit not very durable.

The ride at lower pressure is lovely. My bike floats over that horrible surface on Chappies at 80psi. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that one goes tubeless to save weight.

Assuming one has wheels that are tubeless compatible (i.e. ignoring potential difference in wheel weight)

Tubeless tyre (300g) + sealant (60-90g) + valve (10g) = approx 400g

'Normal' tyre (215g) + tube (60-90g) = approx 300g

(welcome to check my assumptions and maths)

I agree weight is not the primary gain,  

I have been on the tubeless road for almost 4 years now,  Riding the Schwalbe Pro One 25c comes in at 280g and I only add in 30ml of sealant.   

I do however clean and replace the sealant every 2 to 3 months. 

extra maintenance but I get to ride at 5 to 6 bar, and only ever had two cuts that didn't seal. 

Instead of carrying a spare tube I carry an extra 60ml bottle of sealent and 2 bombs.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-pro-one.html

The only complaint I have is the price, so keen on trying those Giant tires soon.

but also these contis might keep the legendary longevity, which will be a good bonus.  

I'm done with tubeless for commuting for now. Had 40c tubeless gravel setup. At those pressures (4-5bar)and the flexible casing, I had many cuts that wouldn't seal. A complete mess to repair properly. Gone to smartguard with tubes and 38c. Day 2 so far on the new setup. Feels fast and ever so slightly more bumpy. But worth the peace of mind.

Edited by V18

i dont know which brand of sealant i used.. black and green round bottle.. hit a pothole after trying to bunnyhop over it.. rear tire exploded (sealant sprayed all over my legs and rear), very sticky .

sealed up a cut about 10mm side to side . got me home and had 2 bar pressure next morning.

it would open up at around 7 bar but sealed up again instantly around 6 bar .

i will post the brand once i pop around to my Lbs

This one?

Works fine on mtb for me post-110836-15416762175267.jpeg

Have you tried the Finish Line sealant? It sounded promising when announced, supposed to never dry out, etc.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/finish-line-tyre-sealant-1l.html

Edit: Nevermind, just read a review, sounds like it doesn't dry out, but doesn't seal wonderfully either.

I've tried the new Finish Line on road tubeless. It fails... messily (like all the others). I've also tried Stans, Stans Race, and Joes Road. Every single one of them fails at anything above 2bar.

I've now taken to carrying a bottle of Tufo Xtreme in my pocket and run almost no sealant in my tyres. I run 5bar rear, 4.5bar front on Schwalbe Pro One 28c. These tyres are so tight, there's absolutely no chance of putting in a tube on the side of the road (and the frame, and myself).

Another thing that I've never seen mentioned really is the proper rim tape. Gorilla tape and other types of "woven" tape do not hold up to road pressures, and will tear at the spoke holes. Gorilla tape has failed on me every single time (even double layers) I've tried it in road tubeless, the plastic tape has not failed once with just a single layer since I switched to it.

Overall I'm really not convinced road tubeless is worth the struggle, and expense; I probably could have bought another 4 tyres with the amount of sealant I've sprayed out onto the road.

Edited by cairbre

Heard good things about Geax and Orange Seal.

Finding it isn't so easy though.

Token guys did a review on the Tufo sealant which was also promising.

I used orange seal, just took off my schwalbe Pro one rear that had gone through to the casing after 4000km. I never stopped to repair a puncture. I think the sealant fixed about 5 punctures during that time. Stans normal sealant doesn't seem to work, they have a new one called 'race' for road bikes

Stans race is pathetic.

You are better off using water

I used it and it could not seal a pin hole puncture right in the middle of the thread.

It did in the end seal at around 1 bar.

Thankfully I was only 2 km from home.

When I got home I put more in and pumped the tire up to 7 bar. I then stood the wheel with the puncture at the bottom. Next morning all the sealant was in my garage floor

Edited by Furbz

I agree weight is not the primary gain,  

I have been on the tubeless road for almost 4 years now,  Riding the Schwalbe Pro One 25c comes in at 280g and I only add in 30ml of sealant.   

I do however clean and replace the sealant every 2 to 3 months. 

extra maintenance but I get to ride at 5 to 6 bar, and only ever had two cuts that didn't seal. 

Instead of carrying a spare tube I carry an extra 60ml bottle of sealent and 2 bombs.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-pro-one.html

The only complaint I have is the price, so keen on trying those Giant tires soon.

but also these contis might keep the legendary longevity, which will be a good bonus.  

Since I moved to 25 C I am also riding 5 to 6 bar and weigh 100 kg so pressure is not the issue anymore so why change to a heavier setup? Puncture issues, well I have about 0.3 punctures per 1000 km  so that is not really an issue either.

Price on the other hand.... I ride on 300 Zar tires that I replace every 1 to 1,5 years and tubes at less and 50 Zar which I patch if need be. Not the lightest setup but defiantly lighter than 300g 

Stans race is pathetic.

You are better off using water

I used it and it could not seal a pin hole puncture right in the middle of the thread.

It did in the end seal at around 1 bar.

Thankfully I was only 2 km from home.

When I got home I put more in and pumped the tire up to 7 bar. I then stood the wheel with the puncture at the bottom. Next morning all the sealant was in my garage floor

Why would you pump to 7 bar?

I think Stans has given road tubeless a bad name, everyone seems to complain about it.

This is what I watched that convinced me to go tubeless and then as I said I have done 4000km trouble free riding.

I don't think it's available locally but I bought the Pro One's and orange seal from CRC

Edited by Andreas_187

I don't think it's available locally but I bought the Pro One's and orange seal from CRC

I've checked CRC and the other popular online stores without luck.

Where I did find, store was unable to ship product to SA.

Still searching ...

I've checked CRC and the other popular online stores without luck.

Where I did find, store was unable to ship product to SA.

Still searching ...

Amazon.co.uk definitely have it, I bought some in Sept

Orange Seal can be sourced directly from Amazon, or through any number of other stores (jenson) via AGS. Shipping is pricey though because of the weight. So the end price is pretty damn high. Road tubeless is definitely not for someone on a budget, and it's also kinda ridiculous that people are importing sealant of all things.

Edited by cairbre