Tubeless on the road

Popit

Amazon.co.uk definitely have it, I bought some in Sept

Had a quick look, but seems like another case of "can't ship to SA".

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda ridiculous that people are importing sealant of all things.

Can't exactly argue with that, but what to do if nothing local works.? LOL

Edited by Thomo

Can't exactly argue with that, but what to do if nothing local works.? LOL

Import :(... and yes, I'm going to be importing some Orange Seal soonish, as I'm still committed to throwing money at road tubeless till I find a setup that actually works.

I've already bought a pair of these, and what a difference it makes for getting tight tubeless tyres onto the rim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took a 30 minute job that involved a lot of pain, lube, expletives, and fearing the distinctive crack carbon makes, down to around 2 minutes of effortless work.

Edited by cairbre

I've used the extreme stuff to repair a puncture. It clogged the nozzle multiple times while I was using it, but it worked and was certainly a whole lot easier than pulling the tyre off to glue on a patch. To me it seems to be too viscous (and expensive) to leave in a tyre to function as sealant.

The normal stuff is awfully pricey for what's essentially just normal sealant.

Edited by cairbre

I've already bought a pair of these, and what a difference it makes for getting tight tubeless tyres onto the rim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw something similar a while ago and wondered whether it worked or was just a gimmick.

Getting tubeless road tyres on the rim can be a job so happy to try this. :)

Now to try and remember where I saw it.?

Edited by Thomo

I would be keen to give the continental tubeless a try - I loved the ride feel of the Schwalbe pro one. The comfort and the grip was by far the best road tire I've ever ridden, but one glass cut and the tire was toast - very expensive toast I might add. It would seal ok to get home, but keep re-opening x2 tires. I went as far as trying to patch them, but I could always feel the bump of the patching - I see they now make proper road tubeless patches, wonder how effective they are.

I've been back on tubes for 18 months and I've had 1 puncture in that time - replacing the tube and bombing the tire takes 5 minutes though. Putting a tube into a sealant filled tubeless tire is a complete mess, in addition to the struggle to get the extra tight tire onto the rim.

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

I pay the bike shop for tires and sealant... they fit it for me in a heartbeat.

No Mess - No Fuss 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

No Mess - No Fuss

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not sure about a heartbeat. LOL

I collected wheels from some very annoyed lbs staff not so long ago - seems even they can struggle with some stubborn tyre/rim combinations.

But money well spent for me. :)

I saw something similar a while ago and wondered whether it worked or was just a gimmick.

Getting tubeless road tyres on the rim can be a job so happy to try this. :)

Now to try and remember where I saw it.?

CWC brought in something similar:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/tyrekey-no-pinch-lever

The one off Amazon was cheap to import though. I've got 2 if anyone in JHB wants to try out my spare.

I can tell you from experience, it's definitely not a gimmick, and the jack that I bought makes a monumental difference. Pulling stubborn tyres onto carbon rims is effortless and you're not constantly worrying about cracking the bead and destroying your rim from the severe forces used with conventional levers.

Edited by cairbre

Stans race is pathetic.

You are better off using water

I used it and it could not seal a pin hole puncture right in the middle of the thread.

It did in the end seal at around 1 bar.

Thankfully I was only 2 km from home.

When I got home I put more in and pumped the tire up to 7 bar. I then stood the wheel with the puncture at the bottom. Next morning all the sealant was in my garage floor

Stans race works well on mtb tires at pressures of 1.5-1.8 Bar.

Not sure what sealant works on road where min pressure will be 6 bar for light weights and closer to 8 for people without eating disorders

Not sure about a heartbeat. LOL

I collected wheels from some very annoyed lbs staff not so long ago - seems even they can struggle with some stubborn tyre/rim combinations.

But money well spent for me. :)

Litterally watch the guy do it .. Like while i wait service .. I use Westdene Cycles on the Westrand

Fukall works at pressure.

Having run tubeless in the road for a while, I can say that the only upside is the lower pressures.

I have had 4 punctures and even though they sealed when the pressure dropped to about 2 bar, only 1 was a permanent seal. I had to replace the 3 other tyres, abd at R1000 per tyre, it’s not ideal.

Think of it as a run flat. It’s ok to get you home, but your ride is over.

The Mavic UST seems like a decent setup as the rims and tyres are apparently designed to seal to exact tolerances etc. sounds legit.

Got put off sealants when I rode mostly MTB, had that slime in tubes, hard to say if I got less punctures but made a godawful mess if you had to change a tube in the bush, got the zig with that so chucked out all the sealed tubes, used tyre liners instead, seemed to cut down on flats too, prob not a solution for the weight weeny though.

Recently found was getting a lot of flats, think it was due to tyres needing replaced, had 25mm gators on, changed to 28mm, rides very nicely at bit lower pressure than the 25s.

Tubeless seems like a bit of an expensive story and not always simple to resolve a flat if your sealant gets old etc.

Think am gonna just keep rolling on the tubed gomma gommas for now.

No Mess - No Fuss 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Awesome ... do they do road side call-outs?  :whistling:

Edited by Manuel De Jesus