Tubeless on the road

Popit

nevermind these damn i9 rims,tape and crappy valve on my mtb

The sooner i get shot of them and reinvest in a decent Mavic tubeless wheelset the better

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m pretty sure the new GP5000 28c will be available

not according to my lbs...  they said that they tried all of the distributors, but maybe they just didn't try hard enough

not according to my lbs... they said that they tried all of the distributors, but maybe they just didn't try hard enough

I’m in the UK for a bit, if you want me to bring you back a set. PM we can sort something out.

When you have any of those sealants that just don't work, that's exactly what happens. LOL

Yeap. I have photos somewhere of my bike absolutely dripping in sealant... with a flat tyre. I've even peeled dried sealant out of the BB shell at one stage.

I’m in the UK for a bit, if you want me to bring you back a set. PM we can sort something out.

Any chance of getting some of this magic Orange Seal stuff.? :)

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a TCR which comes tubeless ready and today I found out what everyone's frustrations were with going tubeless. The shop put 'sludge' in there. It basically sprayed everywhere and wouldn't seal at anything over 40psi and got nasty sealant all over the place.

I'm comparison, Orange seal plugs the hole immediately, leaving the tyre at 70psi and the small amount of sealant is very, very easily removed.

I put some Stans in when I got home and that is just as bad. My folks come from the UK in 2 weeks with some Orange Seal.

On the plus side, I did get through the dodgeville sprint in Woodstock and home without needing to stop. I just couldn't inflate the tyre more than 40psi or it would start spraying out again.

My GP5000 tubeless seem to still be holding up ok - around 1300kms odd with Revo-seal. I can see around 5 cuts in the rear tread, but nothing's got through the fibre layer yet. Hopefully they hold out well for Stellenbosch this weekend :).

The Giant tyres didn't look particularly strong but held up well for my first 900km. It's what happens when they do get a flat.

The state of my bike and the garage floor, I was cursing sludge and stans.

The Giant tyres didn't look particularly strong but held up well for my first 900km. It's what happens when they do get a flat.

The state of my bike and the garage floor, I was cursing sludge and stans.

:D - I know the feeling all too well, my first set of road tubeless were also the Giant Gavia tires that came with the bike. I had glass cut at 6pm thru Woodstock, limped to a 'safer spot' near the bridge and got everything covered in sealant. The cut was too big to hold any pressure - after cursing and getting a tube into the tire it got another flat from the cut about 1km from home ... walked the rest of the way.

My folks come from the UK in 2 weeks with some Orange Seal.

Any chance they'll have place for an extra bottle.? :)

Just found a solution of sorts to the issue of non-sealing tubeless tyres. (Since we don't get Orange Seal in SA)

So, the past three rides I had three small holes from glass cuts (thanks to the festive season in CT). In all cases, I got home without knowing about it but pressure was way down suggesting that the hole wasn't sealing properly. In the first case, I had a whole lot of sealant (Stan's) on the floor after leaving the bike parked overnight with the hole (unknown to me) right at the bottom of the wheel.

When pumping the tyre to 80psi (25mm tyres), it would not seal. My solution was to put folded paper towel under the hole (with bike upright) and leave for an hour or so (at an initial 80psi or so). This seems to give the sealant a chance to solidify and seal the hole. Some will leak out but it should eventually seal.

Hope it works for you.

p.s. I was about to give up on road tubeless but this little trick has restored my faith and I just bought two new Schwalbe Pro Ones (the best tubeless tyres around).