Tubeless on the road

Popit

Have had a few requests for some sneaky Orange Sealant, but the bike shops I popped into didn’t have.

If you guys can help me find a shop that has stock I’ll appreciate it, or more accurately, other people will appreciate it ;)

Amazon.co.uk

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents.....

The guys who need should buy online and have delivered to you this week (if you coming back next week as per earlier post). Least amount of hassle and no cash outlay for you.

Unless or course......you finding any excuse to go cruise around bike shops. :-)

Ag bud, it’s really no hassle if I’m close to a shop in any case.

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm going to be importing some new GP5000 TLR next week from Merlin since it seems the local guys decided to not bring in the 32c.

I'll be grabbing some Orange Seal at the same time if anyone wants to jump on the order and split shipping costs (UPS; I'm in Fourways, jhb).

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the Stans Race sealant is very good, supposed to be much thicker. Is this available locally?

Yes it is.

I commute daily and subsequently spend most of my cycle time in the debris close to the pavement.

Had Schwalbe Pro One’s initially, but they are too soft ... a great race tire for middle of the road racing, but not for commuting - they cut easily.

Mounted a pair of 25mm Giant Gavia’s 1’s instead, they are heavier but harder/thicker than the Gavia 0’s.

Mounted them with Stan’s Race, and top up with Stan’s regular.

Running 80psi and they seal quickly.

Edited by Eddie_V

I also commute. I'm still using my tried and tested orange seal with the schwalbe Pro ones. In one day I had a thorn, a staple and an earing in my front tyre. Stopped, pulled them out, sealed instantly and kept riding.

I bought a TCR which came with the lighter Gavia tyres. The sealant from Giant (Sludge) wouldn't hold air over 35psi

Edited by Andreas_187

I'm still using my tried and tested orange seal with the schwalbe Pro ones.

Just started with the same set up.

To soon to comment, but reassuring that you're having good results.

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres?

See to be a whole lot cheaper than other popular choices.

Does their performance match their price, or are they good value for money?

Price makes them a tempting option.

I think the cheaper of the two options is R500 or thereabouts.?

No experience, but suspect they'll probably be more like "Gatorskins" rather than "GP4000" going by some reviews.

Horses for courses and perhaps worth a try when I need again.

Been using Gavia on my propel for about 10 months .. No complaints whatsoever .. I've switched to the 28mm a few weeks ago , loving it . Under R1000 for both was a no brainer

So, I picked up a pair of the 25mm Gavia AC 1's to go on my Argent wheels. 

It was a REAL mission to clean off the old damaged rim tape. Finding new tape was a PITA.

LBS recommended Enduro Seal.

Fitting the tyres wasn't as hard as expected and they eventually sealed and held air (after several pump and spin sessions).

They are quite a bit heavier than the GP4000's they replaced, but feel a lot more robust (like Gatorksins).

Time will tell how they hold up...

(Interesting to note that they are quite a bit smaller than the 25mm GP 4000's they replace. Tyre clearance was a real issue)

Edited by splat

So, I picked up a pair of the 25mm Gavia AC 1's to go on my Argent wheels.

It was a REAL mission to clean off the old damaged rim tape. Finding new tape was a PITA.

LBS recommended Enduro Seal.

Fitting the tyres wasn't as hard as expected and they eventually sealed and held air (after several pump and spin sessions).

They are quite a bit heavier than the GP4000's they replaced, but feel a lot more robust (like Gatorksins).

Time will tell how they hold up...

(Interesting to note that they are quite a bit smaller than the 25mm GP 4000's they replace. Tyre clearance was a real issue)

Another few months later and these Gavias are holding up insanely well.. Yes they are heavy .. Noticeably heavy but damn, The reliability has won me over ..

• 2 weeks later...

My good friend in the UK says he and 20 of his riding group rode the whole UK winter with Pirelli Cinturatos. 290grams a tyre but nobody stopped to put an inner tube in since October last year.

Just got a set of Vittoria Corsa 25C TLR Graphene 2.0's.  Roll really well, will have to see about durability and puncture protection 

• 2 weeks later...

being new to tubeless, what do you guys carry with you in terms of spares and how ?

Not really keen on sticking stuff in my jersey pockets as they already contain enough stuff, on short rides the tool bottle will be ok, but on longer rides I want both my bottles please.

Anyone tried putting CO2 canisters in your handles bars ? i.e. take the end cap off, slide the canister in and replace the end cap.

• 3 weeks later...

being new to tubeless, what do you guys carry with you in terms of spares and how ?

Not really keen on sticking stuff in my jersey pockets as they already contain enough stuff, on short rides the tool bottle will be ok, but on longer rides I want both my bottles please.

Anyone tried putting CO2 canisters in your handles bars ? i.e. take the end cap off, slide the canister in and replace the end cap.

so nobody want to answer my question on what spares to carry on a road bike ?

As far as my questions regarding tools I've narrowed down my options thanks to the multi tool thread.

I take a spare tube, a tiny mini pump, valve adapter so you can use a petrol station pump if nearby, tyre lever and a couple of patches and glue... Oh, and a MyCiti bus pass!

LOL

I pretty much ride with the same spares I always have. (just in case)

Tube, tyre levers, multi-tool, co2.

If I don't use it, my mates can. :)

Pockets are fine for me, nor do I mind a small saddle bag.

Yes, I said saddle bag. LOL

Edited by Thomo

LOL

I pretty much ride with the same spares I always have. (just in case)

Tube, tyre levers, multi-tool, co2.

If I don't use it, my mates can. :)

Pockets are fine for me, nor do I mind a small saddle bag.

Yes, I said saddle bag. LOL

I really don't get the hate for saddle bags... They are super convenient. I use one on my road bike and the only reason I don't use one on my MTB is because I have a dropper post.