Popit

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I see I am resurrecting an old thread but cannot find anything more recent on the hub. If there is you are welcome to point me in that direction.

I am looking at converting to tubeless on my road bike. I am based in Jhb and mostly ride at the Cradle. I am looking at choosing between the Schwalbe One or the Continental GP 5000's. Are there any other worthy and possibly cheaper alternatives?

I would lean towards a tyre which has more puncture protection as they will be used on my training rides as well.

My current setup is 23mm Gatorskins

Lastly let me know from your experience if you believe tubeless is a bad idea!

Thanks in advance!

Pirelli Cinturato and Goodyear F1 would possibly be cheaper and worth looking at.

Anything between R600 and R800.

OrangeSeal sealant comes highly recommended too.

I would go for Tofu tires and use there carbon sealant as backup. I used the carbon sealant (only after a puncture) on a normal tube and tire and it sealed at 8 Bar.

1 hour ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

Hi Everyone,

I see I am resurrecting an old thread but cannot find anything more recent on the hub. If there is you are welcome to point me in that direction.

I am looking at converting to tubeless on my road bike. I am based in Jhb and mostly ride at the Cradle. I am looking at choosing between the Schwalbe One or the Continental GP 5000's. Are there any other worthy and possibly cheaper alternatives?

I would lean towards a tyre which has more puncture protection as they will be used on my training rides as well.

Thanks in advance!

what rims do you have laced to your hubs?

If the rim is not compatible with a tubeless tyre then I would not recommend you convert it tubeless

In my experience:

Schwalbe Pro One's are very, very good. 25c tyre pumps up to approx 28mm

Goodyear F1 28c also great, they inflate to 29mm. Slightly firmer than the Schwalbe but not in a bad way, they feel like they will be more resilient to cuts and punctures. They also have an extra lip on them that makes seating and pumping up easier. 

If you're not too worried about having the fastest, lightest tyres then the Pirelli Cinturo is a good choice. Friends of mine in the UK use it as their winter tyre. 

I wouldn't bother with any other tyres

Cadex tyres, I tried for 2 hours but couldn't get them to seat and pump up (with a compressor). Waste of time. 

GP5000TL, pretty good but very, very difficult to mount. Life doesn't need to be so difficult. 

Been using GP5000 tubless with Joes Sealant for a good few 1000km's and no issues. Moving over to Orange Seal now on another set of wheel's with Goodyear F1's. 

I've been using GP5000s with Continental Revoseal for about 4 years and they served me well, I've managed 2 years with minimal issues. However I've had a few punctures over the last few months that didn't seal and I had to plug to get home ... the cost of replacing the Continentals after 3 months each time is a steep. They are brilliant tyres and I love the ride feel ... they also do really well with my wheel on indoor trainer, which is a big plus - I'd blame the sealant vs the tyres, they were not very big cuts.

I installed my first Goodyear Eagle F1 tubeless tyre on Tuesday with Orange Seal from Lano Sports (their delivery was super quick to CT - thanks guys ????). I did a 180km ride yesterday around CT and they handled pretty well - so initially looking good. Will see how it goes over the next few months including some IDT time - much cheaper at least ????. If I have issues I'll probably go back to the GP5000s - definitely the best tubeless tyre I've tried, grip, wet handling, IDT ... vs. Schwalbe, Specialized, Giant.

PS: I haven't had issues fitting any of the road tubeless tyres at home with just a normal floor pump to my Giant or Scott tubeless carbon rims. The Goodyear was a bit easier than the Continental ... but both went on fine and inflated nicely.

Another vote for the Pirellis 

My logs show I've done just over 6400km on them, commutes, training rides and one CTCT, the rear has now started to show some seepage of sealant on the collection of small cuts picked up over time, but, touch wood, I've not had any flats yet.

Used to run Gatorskins on the old bike, vs the Gatorskins these are miles ahead, both in terms of puncture protection and grip.

11 hours ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Goodyear eagle F1 tubeless,Stans Race sealant or Joe's works 100% Ive been riding this combo for 10000km+ no hassles.

Im able to supply you such if needed just PM me

12 hours ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

As far as I am aware, tubeless tyres start at 25mm and go up. Just make sure your frame and brakes can handle the extra width.

I have been using the Giant Gavia Fondo tires as they arrived set up tubeless on my bike. I initially thought they would be the 1st thing I would 'upgrade' but they have been amazing.

Not at all exotic or cool, but faultless in their practicality